The Firefly

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Jan 21, 2011 on FOX

• Catching a glimpse of the Observers' twisted logic

Observers episodes are always a treat, in large part because we know so little about them ... and don't quite understand how they think. "The Firefly" is probably the best example of that. I mean, until the last scene, there was no way to predict what was happening ... I didn't expect it to be related to Walter's serum, I thought the point was only to test his moral compass. Which, by the way, is a good idea : if Walter wants to equal Walternate, does that mean that he has to turn "evil" ? That, coupled with the fact that, for the first time, he was ready to take the risk to lose Peter, after being defined for so long by his fear of losing him, was very compelling character developement. On the emotional side, there was some meat too : it's even more evident with each episode that Olivia came back a changed woman, and the scene where Walter, upon hearing Roescoe's story, slowly realizes that saving Peter cost another life is heart-breaking, even if I thought that it was a shame to cast Christopher Lloyd as what was, in the end, a tool in the Observer's hands, and a secondary character ( was casting him a red herring, making us focus on him, just to reveal he was not that important ? ). Anyway, there was chemistry with Walter, and I hope we'll see him again.