Fringe

The Firefly

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Jan 21, 2011 on FOX

• The Observer tests Walter; Peter risks his life; Olivia tries to make herself all right by pretending everything is all right; Walter is forced to see what he's done over and over again.

There are a few points of this episode I would love to address. Firstly, the Walter-Joyce connection. I realize it was strange to have this wonderful old man grow on us just to have him be a lesson--not even grow on us like victims do in their first three minutes before horrific deaths, but really grow on us--but Joyce and Walter had a real relationship, and I'd love to see them together again. Of course, that's not going to happen, but in my head I will picture the two old men together, chuckling about the eighties and far before.

The Observers. I've always been fascinated with the human obsession of dissecting the logic vs. emotions relationship. The Observers are a real treat, although I wish they were almost more neutral; it increasingly feels like they have a specific agenda far beyond keeping things in balance. Of course, that isn't to say I'm not curious as to what that is... And I haven't been able to get the Observers out of my head since the love story of one in season 2. Gosh, that was a while ago.

Speaking of love; Peter and Olivia. You know, I really want them to be perfect for each other--I mean, I REALLY do--but other than the "I'm sorry," Peter hasn't been very good in his response to Olivia's trauma. He stares a lot, though... She, on the other hand, is being tough as always, and is more "intense" than ever. I hope the tension ramps up a little, honestly, I know I might be a spoiled fan for asking for more, but sometimes their relationship's a little too platonic for me! Grr. It's not even so much what they do as how they do it, and the two aren't giving me that lump-in-the-throat feeling. Once again, I remind you that I still love them as a couple and will still be listening to the song Olivia sang to Peter on repeat.

Finally, Walter and Peter. I agree with a previous reviewer in that, for a long time, fear of losing Peter was the prominent feature of Walter. It's great how the character changes, or at least torturously reveals the change, in this episode. I loved every second of it--except for, and keep in mind it was only a second, when Walter let Peter go. And, you know, those couple of close calls with Peter--I'm talking the truck, the gun, etc.--were well crafted. Bravo, writers.

Overall, I loved this episode, and I'm only knitpicking here because that's what reviewers do. Can't wait for the next.