Fringe

The Ghost Network

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Sep 23, 2008 on FOX

• Sometimes it's the little touches

Sometimes it's the little touches that tell you whether a show is going to be great.

When Peter started playing Gershwin's "Someone to watch over me" on Walter's piano I knew I was going to like this show!
  • The Ghost Network

I know this was only the third episode of the series, but the similarities in the course of the narrative in relation to the second were so many, it seems to me that "Fringe" is allowed to fall

a formula and not to do. At least for me, as I have said countless times, get bored with the series that follow this style, which "Fringe" needs right now is, without doubt, avoid letting yourself fall in repeatability. Do not just have the feeling of deja vu in relation to "The X-Files"?

So let's see something strange happens, Walter is brought to the scene and recognizes the science used to perpetuate the crime, because, for once, is something he experienced in the past / Olivia (Anna Torv) and Peter (Joshua Jackson) have to seek any apparatus that Walter drew in the past involving their experiences in the subject / Olivia meets the mysterious Nina Sharp (Blair Brown), the even more disturbing Massive Dynamics, and this turns out to give you information that helps solve the case / and finally, Walter uses such a device recovered to make another (hard to believe) that experience is the key to solving the case. Basically, this was the formula of two episodes in question.

As for the actual events of "The Ghost Network", I point out that the biggest difference was that half of the episode, during the research process, have not lost my attention and I have kept interested until the end. Despite the theme surrounding the case has not been as strong as the previous episode, it was interesting to see people immobilized in a kind of amber on the bus, see the attempt to demystify the idea of a prophet who receives visions sent by God, and yes, the scene of the eye of the previous episode was less credible than what happened here.

The most interesting episode was to have stayed even know that there is a group behind the events known as "The Pattern". Of course it's no surprise or this would not be a series with the mark of JJ Abrams. But, despite having just said that was the best of the episode, I ask, would even take another series that explores the themes (more to hit) a big conspiracy behind nothing unusual events?

As a final note, just a word for the characters. John Noble and his Walter is, without doubt, the biggest stars of the series. Peter showed, finally, some more useful and we were given for the first time, some (small) development in relation to personal history of the character. The Olivia left out that air the second episode dour and John Scott (Mark Valley) over there gave an air of grace. Will will be resurrected?
  • Better

I most say... It was better than previous episode and somehow gave me new hope that this show is worth watching but I still it lacks little bit of the continues storylines. I know there is pattern and all that but I do not see the connections and it feels like from week to week you watch the team investigating something new. Even the little hint back to the first episode with those man visions did not saved that aspect.

But.. I liked the story of this episode.. That man and his visions and the piano.. Weird, but I totally loved the piano. I cannot say it was best part of the episode, but it added something.. and it worked.
  • it is very exciting tv show to me, it has a high imaginative power.

It hit me a new impulse to the my imagination and it is very exciting tv show to me, it has a high imaginative power. Good character chemistry and plot are as realistic as sci-fi can get. Awesome, awesome show. Although I am not a huge fan of "toughguy Women" Olivia dunham is believeable. Not to mention easy on the eyes. Each episode I like her more and more. Jeremy Jackson is surprisingly likeable as well. He is no pacey in this show. He is smart, like his father but not crazy. Him and dunham have a good, but not too sappy sexual tension that is evident but not explored every episode. Last but not Least Dr. Walter Bishop. Refreshingly honest with a hint of insanity. He makes a great genius as well as a comic relief. The father son relastionship between him and Peter is great too. To sum up Fringe is a great supplement to the X-files yet. I hope it stays on the air for a good long while. Watch this show. Peace
  • A troubled man who can see events related to the Pattern in advance. Another who kills a bus load of people for who knows what in a horrific manner. Olivia and her team must uncover what it is the killer wanted that was on that bus and retrieve it.

Very mysterious and cynical direction for the show to go in. Blair Brown as Nina Sharp seems at the root of everything that is going on but we as is Agent Olivia are out of the loop. Cryptic things are said and strange situations are shown but no explanations of much of what is going on.

We knew that Nina was involved in the board that oversees Broyles operating group, but it now seems as if they maybe run and finance it as well. We have been told that Massive Dynamics is one of the ten richest entities in the world and has more control than any one country.

I now have my suspicions about John Scott and how much of a traitor he was or is as I don't see a clear direction with that yet. We continue to see development of the main character group and traits and characteristics of those people involved in Olivia's team. The elder Bishop is a pure scientist where the ends always justifies the means. That is what pure science is about. Think about the Atomic Bomb! His son is more of a sensitive intellect and obviously learned some bad traits in his years to survive but his ethical sense is much more evolved than his father. Olivia seems like the kind of person who can't be corrupted. I think that is why Broyles picked her.

That whole situation with the bus was quite horrific and fascinating at the same time. Much the same as the incident with the substance on the plane in the Pilot episode.

I think this episode was much more in the vain of the first episode, more action with a lot more cryptic pieces to it if that is even possible. One of the problems with this kind of suspense though is the technic of leaving the viewer in the dark only works just so long before it becomes boring or annoying. Hopefully that will not happen here. A recent show called Defying Gravity which is very intellectual in nature made that mistake by leaving viewers strung along for the first eight episodes before revealing something of real importance.

Still a very entertaining episode and it leaves a lot of questions to answer in later episodes. Thanks for reading...
  • Good episode with a interesting exploration.

After the previous episode we have a better case to follow. This seemed to me like some filler since it doesn´t seems too relevant to the main plot, which is a mystery for now, but the connections are there.

I liked the mystery, first it seemed that Roy had some power, but then all was transformed in the science point of view, really good work. As expected, we have a interesting ending, this episode lacked of intensity for any type of great suspense, neither we had twist.

This episode focused more in mystery and Case development which was well done. I am waiting for the next episode, because I am looking for the episode that will make me want to see this show badly, until now it is just light curiositu
  • Roy McComb, a man who claims to receive visions from God, sees passengers on a bus caught in a gas attack that solidifies the air around them, asphyxiating them. Now the team must use Roy's visions to find the man responsible.

I really enjoyed this episode for the reason that we see into a few of the characters past and learn a bit more about them. For example, we learn of a man stalking Peter Bishop and trying to capture pictures. Peter Bishop confronts the man, threatens him, and steals his photo card. We also learn of Dr. Walter Bishop's prior science expieriments, especially on Roy, appears in this episode. Dr. Walter Bishop also worked on Roy before his stint in the mental hospital. The suspense continues as Nina Sharp and Phillip Broyles meet, we learn that they are somehow working together. Next episode will reveal alot about these characters.
  • Nice!

The alst time I watched some sci-fi thriller and was left gaping was with x-files and a couple of episodes of Eureka because of the comic element in it. Fringe and particular this episode captured me starting with Noble's potrayal of Walter Bishop. This role particularly suites him and for this the creators have got my full attention. It's amazing how he gells well this character. In this episode I was amazed by the tv graphics if I may call them that, dudes stuck in xome gum like clear stuff in a bus was quite original. I have not seen that in any other sci-fi thriller. Nice
  • "There was something important. Oh! I've decided on the pancakes. Blueberry." - Walter Bishop

A man seems to be having visions of Pattern-related terror attacks before they occur. The team, led by Dr. Bishop, discovers that he is receiving signals from the Ghost Network, an otherwise undetectable frequency range on which the masterminds are communicating. With his help, they are able to intercept a strange crystalline disk, which is given to Nina Sharp for analysis. I loved the opening scenes of this episode they where so fast and exciting, it really set the tone for the Episode. After a slight dip in quality during the second the third episode was just exciting, it was a great watch, really spooky. This show has showed it potential I can't wait to watch more. I'm starting to find the characters very intresting and I'm beginning to care for what they do. Like the scene where Peter and Walter are argueing. There was a really funny bit where Walter is about to cut into the mans head and the group are interupted by freshman. I love the way each episode its like a mystery with whats happening to people like something supernatural and I think its great the way Walter and the team somehow find a way to ressolve it. Awesome show 9.5 out of 10.
  • Well, Walter continues to get the absolute best lines of the whole cast

Well, Walter continues to get the absolute best lines of the whole cast. While that is very true, this episode John Noble shows a much wider acting range than just being humorous. It was written that way and he did not disappoint.

While this episode did not have the intensity of the last it was still very exciting with a compelling mystery woven in. The chick fight between Olivia and the supposedly dead girl was really cool and was a nice touch.

Also, once again, we get a big reveal at the end. I'm beginning to think that they are putting those reveals in to simply show what all the trouble was for. We the audience get to see the out come of the mystery, but Olivia and the rest of the team don't because, well, they saved the person they set out to save. Now that I look back they have done that several times, like last episode when the husband and wife talk about getting the answer of "little hill", from Mr. Jones, or in "The Ghost Network" when Broyles gives that disk, that was cut out of that Agent's hand after they died, to Nina Sharp. Anyway, this episode was just about as good as the last one, it was just missing a little bit more intensity.
  • A Psychic man draws the future

This Episode was about a guy who could interpret his patterned visions. He approaches a pastor and he tells him about his vision. Something is going to happen in this bus. And it so happens. FBI comes on the ground. They begin investigating and they find out that there is a deadly compound in the gas. Walter traces the three compounds traced in the gas, agent Olivia is at the crime scene she spots a camera it belongs to a dead woman. Olivia notices on the video that the woman with the back pack did, indeed, have a backpack and now, no one can seem to find this particular bag.

Olivia chases down a guy that has psychic powers, Walter finds that this guy has metal in his blood and this links him to a kind of telephone network which causes him to see the conversations instead of hearing them. Walter get's into his bag of tricks and Intercepts a Conversation about a drop-off through the guy in which Olivia tracks down and solves the little mystery.
  • Sorry but the whole painting the future thing was done in Heroes and maybe even before that. The acting isn't that great, the main character is hardly out of this world and yet again everything is resolved after the 'crazy' Walter gets involved...

I'm really not convinced by this show, not even a little bit. It's hardly stood out from greats like Six Feet Under, Desperate Housewives or House has it?
    Firstly I really don't like how the main character Agent Dunham is extremely emotionless, she speaks and I feel nothing, not a thing.

Even Peter is pretty annoying, sometimes his character seems forced and can even sound robotic. The piano thing at the end made me roll my eyes, extremely forced and not at all entertaining. The show just bores me, I don't get excited by the mysterious of the week per say, this one being vague rip-off of Heroes....plus it all ended up fine as 'crazy' Walter knew the answer - what dull TV, I could write similar things!

Hopefully Dunham will become a better character and the standard will be raised because I can imagine a lot more people being disappointed. How many more episodes can have 1) Something strange occurs 2) They investigate 3) They tell Walter and he ponders 4) He suddenly knows what's going on 5) Case closed.

It's not noticeable, kit doesn't stand out and at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if it was cancelled before its seasons end.
  • This show hasn't done anything (since the pilot) that has piqued my interest.

It's not that Fringe is a bad show but it isn't very clever or original either. "Decent" could be a way too describe it but there's also that description "boring" that comes to mind. The overall acting has been mediocre so far - Anna Torv only has one facial expression, Joshua Jackson doesn't suck but doesn't shine either, Lance Reddick ceases to impress, etc. The only character that I can really stomach is that of Walter but that's entirely due to his eternal wackiness.

As for this week's episode, I found the main plot to be (again) too implausible to sink my teeth into. And what I mean by implausible is, not that I'm gonna have to believe everything for me to enjoy a show, but with Fringe it's just that comic-y, gimmick-y style that annoys the hell out of me. Every week we're supposed to believe that Walter has done groundbreaking research on virtually every scientific field out there; and that he always comes up with the right solution. Other characters like the Massive Dynamics chick are just cartboard cut-outs so their storylines are far from interesting. The overall execution of the show has proven to be rather lacklustre, using much too loud music or borrowing it from Lost. In fact Fringe is nothing but a procedural trying to be something more but failing miserably. I don't know if I'll continue to watch this.
  • A BIG improvement on the first two episodes!

I had high hopes for this show but since I found the first two episodes to be total unintelligent insipid tripe I was reluctant to watch a third and yet I was pleasantly surprised. The production values of this show have never warranted complaint from myself and this is certainly evident in this episode.
    The momentum is now starting to build in this series as the intrigue begins to rise and although it was quite predictable that there was going to be more to Agent Broyle than meets the eyes, in regards to his supposed conspiring with Massive Dynamic, it was entertaining none the less.
    This episode felt far more like what we were promised. It had the well rounded satisfaction of a good sci-fi show yet there was enough left over to justify further investigation.
    What I am not sure about however is what now seems to be a set formula in each show in that Walter uses some totally untested and unproven method to extract information directly from a patients brain. Alive or dead. And just what exactly IS his area of expertise? I also have to question how anyone would allow a man who, not only has just been let out a mental institution, but seems to be exhibiting signs of Alzheimer's/dementia, to perform brain surgery. Walter Bishop is sometimes very observant; He noticed that a man was following his son Peter, yet he cannot remember the name of the FBI agent that works under Olivia. How much is an act?
    I was always convinced by the character of Olivia played by Anna Torv and she does a very good job within the constraints of the script/direction given to her, I still however have reservations about Peter. I'm not too sure and what side of the fence the producers intend him to sit. The set up for a relationship to develop between Peter and Olivia is so horribly contrived. Her double agent secret boyfriend has just been "buried" (and we're just waiting for him to pop up zombie stylee in a future episode) and Peter of course serenades her with some sensual daytime jazz- "Oooo play it again Sam". A romance can be good but please make it less predictable. Nay. Inevitable.
    The attempts at humour in this show are still woefully poor but less painful to watch.
    All in all this was a much unified effort from the team and has persuaded me to continue watching.
  • Finally "Fringe" seems to be following the right track. Hopefully it will get there before it's too late.

This is just the kind of episode i was expecting, and that is what i have been talking about since the start. This one felt like the X-Files, indeed. This one takes science and fiction side-by-side on an acceptable level: there are real science facts that were used along with totally made-up science, and the resultant story is scary, science-fictional but plausible enough for entertainment purpose. Nothing as insulting to the viewers minds as the previous two episodes. Maybe there's no need to say it again, but the production was impecable once more. They must have a hell of a budget...

There was some character improvement for Anna Torv's (Olivia even smiled, and Peter played bad guy a little), and "The Ghost Network" only came to confirm my suspects that Dr. Walter Bishop's mind is not as impaired as it seems, neither his distraction is always true. He is clearly faking it in some occasions (remember how he questioned peter about the photographer? sure he was all eyes and years, reckon he was, at the same time, trying to figure out what to do with the cell phone). It also reinforced my thoughts that he must have been a very inescrupulous of a mad scientist in the past, telling from his clear state of "mad scientist trance" when he's performing his experiments on other people. Today Walter Bishop definetely fit in the show. Well, so far i think i'll keep watching a couple more episodes...
  • 3 Episodes so far and Fringe settled down on a great level. Exciting, mysterious and funny as before the show manages to entertain more than any other show at the moment.

The two Bishops and Dunham get a new case, when a bus full of frozen dead bodies appears on the screen. Whily Walter already knows what to do, Olivia has to attend John Scott's funeral. Peter still takes care of his father and besides that he even has the time to detect a private investigator who takes pictures of him and his father.
    The police finally finds the guy who has visions of all the brutal mysterious (even the Hamburg flight from the pilot) events and it turns out that Walter and the owner of Massive Dynamics have planted something into the "patient's" brain. Walter, Peter and Olivia are very close to the solution of the case, when they use the "patient" as a kind of wiretap.

Just three episodes of Fringe and the series already managed to be one of my favorites. It is unbelievable how good the cast matches up. Scenes between Joshua Jackson and John Noble are always funny and scenes with Nina Sharp are always dark and mysterious. Anna Torv is doing a very good job, though it must be tough for her to keep up with the two Bishops.
    Well done JJ Abrams. I hope you can keep hold of the show the way it is...
  • The team is called in to investigate when the occupants of a city bus become encased in a mystery solid "like flies in amber"...

This week's case involves a strange occurrence on a city bus. The team heads to the crime scene to find that the passengers of the bus were frozen in place by a mystery solid, forming a macabre still life of everyday urban existence.
    Through Walter's examination of a sample of the solid, he manages to ascertain what it is and how it trapped the people in the bus as well as linking it once again to experiments that he and Bell had done in the past.
    Meanwhile, an arrest leads Olivia to a man that has visions and hears voices. He also has somehow predicted "pattern" related events with tremendous accuracy. He was also once a test subject of Walter's. This episode was an intriguing look into the possibility of telepathy, its applications and the possible science involved. The most fascinating aspect of the episode for me was the furthering of the conspiracy and the additional tidbits of character information. The scene where it seemed that Broyles was playing both sides of the fence was more interesting to me for the fact that there appeared to be a power play going on involving Olivia. There was also the bit about Peter's stalker and suggestions as to how much trouble he is in as well as a slightly menacing side to the boy wonder. When he threatened the photographer, the photographer looked intimidated. Makes you wonder what he was into.
    The writers are doing a great job in my opinion in creating an interesting conspiracy based sci-fi drama, and in creating characters who continue to intrigue fans week after week.
  • A man is hearing "conversations".

Fringe continues to put out great installments on a weekly basis. JJ Abrams and FOX have really hit a homerun here with a first season nearly on par with the man's other series LOST. What is great about the show is with all the mystery and science-fiction there is still room for subtle, yet also sometimes obvious jokes.

The acting is strong with Lance Reddick as the boss and John Noble as the crazy scientist giving the most impressive performances. Joshua Jackson does a good job as well as Peter Bishop and his chemistry with his father Walter is incredible.

The story here was also very entertaining. While many dramas have points where you doze off every single second of Fringe is action packed. From the intense moments with Roy drawing what he sees or the opening scene with the mystery created there is never a dull moment in the freshman series.

You have to question just how long Fringe can continue at this pace, but as for right now we need should just sit back and enjoy the ride.
  • Just as we expect, as the episode opens we are treated to a completely bizarre scene in which all of the passengers on a bus are frozen in a way you won't believe until you see it.

What I love about Fringe so far is that you really never know what to expect in each episode. Let's drop all of the X-Files and House comparisons and call this show what it really is: pure storytelling genius that is completely unique and engaging. This latest episode only sets the bar higher for this incredibly hyped series. Just as we expect, as the episode opens we are treated to a completely bizarre scene in which all of the passengers on a bus are frozen in a way you won't believe until you see it. We also have the mysterious young man who has been having visions of this and other previous "Pattern" events before they happen. As Olivia and her team investigate the events they soon discover that the man with the visions is in fact on old patient of Walter's. It seems the work Walter did has allowed his mind to tap into the "Ghost Network", which has become a type of secret paranormal radio frequency that is now used for communication between members of a clandestine group who may be behind The Pattern. In essence, his visions are nothing more than his brain intercepting and attempting to interpret those communications. Too off the wall? Of course! That's why we love this show!

In typical mad scientist fashion, Walter devises a plan to tap into the Ghost Network so they can track down the men responsible for the bus incident. And just when they get close…well, let's just say that things don't go according to plan. Alas, we are left with more questions and theories to ponder before the next installment. This episode also gives us a very somber scene where Olivia is at John's funeral. You can't help but feel for this character and the torment she is feeling from her relationship with John and his betrayal in the end. Anna Torv has consistently given a great performance as the cold and mysterious Olivia, and something tells me there is a lot more going on with her than meets the eye. Already it seems as if Philip Broyles and Nina Sharp are fighting over her and making quite a fuss over how "special" she is. Only time will tell. In the end, we are left with yet another surprising revelation that all but guarantees that we have not seen the last of John Scott (or at least his body). I love the way Fringe keeps me guessing and also the way the characters draw me in. John Noble is giving what might be the performance of his career as the eccentric and charming Dr. Bishop. If you've been paying close attention you might have noticed a mysterious bald man in the background of the last two episodes. According to the previews for next week, it looks the bald man is back and I can't wait to see what he has to do with The Pattern. I have no idea what's coming next on Fringe and that's exactly why I love it.
  • The team investigates an incident on a bus.

This was the best episode of the Fringe so far. Olivia seems to be really evolving as a character so far and I am really enjoying that. I still am getting just a little tired of Dr.Bishop's whole crazy routine but that's ok I can deal with that. He is very humorous sometimes especially with a lot of his one liners but sometimes it can get a little frustrating. As for the episode the whole nitrogen setting off bomb that froze people was pretty cool. It also helped the audience find out that these "Fringe" science is not a recent event but has been going on from some time after the little explanation that, the particular nitrogen setting off bomb thing was used in previous time and places. Phillip Broyles the head of the Fringe operation got my interesting perked up a lot with the whole last five minutes of the episode talking to Nina Sharp that is a public relations? person for the company. It's going to be interesting to see where that goes.
  • Pretty much what you got from the last two episodes.

Something strange happens, the team does some investigating and the strange thing happens to be related to one of Papa Bishops old experiments... then after some mopping about her old BF Olvia and Peter get some gizmo from Sharp/Walter and they use it to find the dudes that made the weird thing happen.. just like the last two episodes EXACTLY!

Its crazy that a show that hasn't been on for a month is this formulaic. Even crazier than Walter Bishop (whose hilarious dialouge is what mostly kept this episode entertaining)

we get some hints to bigger picture in this episode either, but its not exactly shocking or intriguing no matter how versed you are in this kind of programming... this shows defenders might nag that people are expecting this to be the next Lost right away... but 3 episodes into Lost they'd already hooked the would nation with WALKABOUT... this show isn't nearly that ambitious (yet)... right now its not even as good as Supernatural when it started
  • I keep tuning in.

With the parties involved with this show I've been trying to really get into it, but I'm not hooked yet. I love the stories, like tonight's episode. A man that draws and creates incidents prior to them happening. Kicker of it, he's not sure why or how he's doing it. I really love the interaction and dynamics between Walter and Peter. The attack on the bus was bizarre as the cases have been. The Massive Dynamics is at the heart of the cases so far, that's been established. But ultimately I this it's more about how much is Broyles knows and he's not sharing.
  • Discerning the Pattern

A few episodes into the first season, the writers are beginning to settle into the characters and the voice of the series as a whole. The "X-Files" vibe is still very much present, but the distinctive elements are shining through. In particular, the darker side of the "Fringe" world is not giving way to any measure of comfort zone, and that could turn away viewers looking for a sliver of hope. On the other hand, for those of us who enjoy the darkness, it's a breath of chilling fresh air.

In the larger scheme of things, The Pattern has apparently emerged within the past nine months, series-time, and there is an unknown organization behind it. Some hints point to Massive Dynamic, but it's equally possible that they're simply exploiting what this rogue organization has devised. Perhaps Broyles' covert team is operating at Massive Dynamic's sufferance based on that premise. Certainly Massive Dynamic has no compunction with using Broyles' team as a talent pool.

But the question remains: if Massive Dynamic is profiting from the terrorism taking place, are they simply exploiting it or fostering it? Are the terrorists behind The Pattern simply a "contract lab" for William Bell? It sounds highly immoral, but Bell was apparently no different from Walter Bishop. And Bishop, in this episode, shows a much darker side to his personality.

The pilot never quite hid Walter's inhumanity, but it was softened by his wacky psychosis. This episode forces the audience to recognize the truth behind the scattered veneer. Walter is the textbook example of a mad scientist. He has no concept of scientific restraint, and ethics may have never been part of the equation. He's certainly key to the success of the team, but he's nothing short of a monster. Without Peter or Dunham, it's a fair bet he'd be even less human.

Which, I find, is the most interesting aspect of the series. "Fringe" described the science supposedly at the heart of the series, but like "Alias" and "Lost", it's a title with several contextual meanings. Every character is in same way living on the fringe of societal consensual reality. Agent Dunham is the most normal of the regulars, and that's logical; she's our familiar window into this dark, hidden world. But even she was living on the fringe of social acceptability by sleeping with her partner.

The premise was never hidden, since the notion of science and technology outpacing society's ability to control it was mentioned more than once since the pilot. But the underlying notion is more nuanced. The progress may not be under control, but it may be under guidance, with the unexpected results ready to be exploited. It's managing the butterfly effect, with Walter and William Bell as the caterpillars. And that makes "Fringe" a very interesting show to watch.
  • You just won yourself a season pass on my Tivo, Fringe!

In quite possibly the oddest episode yet, "The Ghost Network" continues to make the series get better and better. Olivia and the team find a man who is psychic and sees and accident involving biological warfare on a bus before it happens.

As usual, J.J. Abrams has assembled a perfect cast and storyline. Fringe is the new X-Files and should stay on the air for a long time.

You may want to pay attention to this episode. Because the storyline doesn't exactly finish out, the rest may be covered in another episode. There are probably obscure hints throughout the episode.

Fringe is excellent and I will definitely tune in for the whole season.
  • Great episode! Spoilers and a long summary.

Another episode of Fringe has passed, and I don't know about you, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I guess Fringe is one of those shows that takes a bit to get off the ground. And we still have much more to see. This episode focused on a form of what I guess you could call mind-reading. More like Ghost-Network Reading or whatever you prefer to call it. For lack of better words, I'm going to call the times when he sees something "visions" and when he hears something "voices". Because I'm weird like that. The episode starts out with a man who we will soon get to know as Roy in a church, trying to find out what is happening to him. As he flees from confession, where he was seeing visions of a man on a bus releasing some sort of gas, he drops a piece of paper with a disturbing image on it. After that, it's time for the funeral of John Scott, who may or may not actually be dead. You can never be sure. His mother shoots daggers at agent Dunham. Meanwhile, Peter and Walter are in a restaurant together, to the probable annoyance of Peter. Then, the most tantalizing part happens. A man at the bar has been taking pictures of Peter, and tells him he should have "checked in". Now, I wonder what that could mean. Then we find out that same bus is now solidified in an amber-like substance, which is now on my list of Top Ten Ways I Don't Want to Die. Cue angst from Olivia, which surprisingly wasn't nearly as annoying in this episode. Cut to the confusing scene of two men (one of them I think was an agent by the name of Grant) going through a backpack the man on the bus stole from a lady who was on the same bus. Meanwhile, Roy is drawing yet another pretty picture from his visions. Walter examines the material used to freeze the people in the bus. Then, we learn Peter can play the piano! Maybe it will actually be relevant sometime in the future. The important part of this scene is that Walter is not stupid and noticed the suspicious conversation at the restaurant. Time for someone on the bus to actually be identified! Luckily for the viewers, it wasn't one of the average extras whose sole purpose on this show was to scream then get frozen. Instead, it is lady-with-backpack, Anna Jiminez! She is identified as a federal agent, specifically a drug enforcement agent. More (almost) uncalled for angst from Olivia. Then it is revealed that Walter got a piano even against his son's wishes. It's still nearly unimportant, but a happy scene. Roy drew pictures of various disasters before they happened. One question I have here is "Why do they trust the dates on the pictures?" Did they explain it? Because I missed that. I'll just let it go, though. After a series of events chronicling the way Roy got to work for the FBI, he is shown going into an MRI. The blood vessels in his face pop out because he has metal in his blood, which is seriously disgusting. Our main characters are now going through files of Walter's test subjects. During this scene, all I was expecting was Peter to find a file about himself. But, they find a file on Roy. Turns out Walter experimented on him too. Peter and Walter find tempers and start yelling at each other while Olivia stands there staring. Peter is going to be really mad if he ever finds his own file, whatever is in there. Following a scene with the duck/rabbit picture, Peter breaks into his own house to find equipment for his father. "Random character development" ensues. Do they have to be so vague about everything? Three words: BRAIN. SURGERY. TIME! Roy starts hearing voices in his head and says them out loud for everyone. Astrid helps translate a bit. I wish that I had taken Latin so I could understand what he was saying, but that's a debate for another time. It turns out the bad guys are at South Station and are exchanging some kind of briefcase containing generally bad things, because isn't that what people always exchange at train stations? This sets off a series of scenes that end with the not-so-nice agent Grant who identified lady-with-backpack Anna getting shot. Somehow. The other guy is then chased, which ends with him getting run over by a bus. Stupid bus. The thing in the case is some kind of coin that was actually in the hand of the dead Anna. And I mean in it. Now for the ending scenes: Happy scene with Peter playing jazz on the piano for Olivia, because we all already know where that's going. Then cut to Broyles giving John's mom the case. Lost music! And, finally…John Scot is in some kind of tank and is maybe, maybe-not alive. Now Lost music! Even though I poke fun at this episode, I did really enjoy it, it was a great episode. The characters were not nearly as annoying as in the previous episodes, the writers seem to have a lot of the dialog problems worked out, and there were a couple of scenes that raised a few interesting questions for debate online and (maybe) answered on the show. I'm looking forward to next week!
  • This episode was much better than the other two of this series, featuring an absence of silly lines and containing humor and excitement.

After seeing the preview for this episode, I had a feeling it would be a good one, and I was right. I found the overall plot to this episode much more interesting than the other two, while I was introduced to a likable character at the center of it all. As always, the production was slick though I don't like how similar the music is to Lost's. I feel like I'm starting to get to know these characters and they are an interesting, likable bunch. There is great acting all-around, and the show easily keeps excitement going through the episode. I really enjoyed this well written episode, and I hope that the show continues to deliver episodes like this one.
  • The series is slowly getting better with each episode.

I thought the pilot was ok, but I have been more and more impressed with each subsequent episode. I wouldn't necessarily call any episode to date a 'filler' episode since they all contribute a little to the pattern or to the subplots of Massive Dynamics or the agency or group that Phillip Broyles works for.

The small bits of comedy thrown in there with Dr Bishop and his 'eccentricity', and his relationship with his son really add to the show. I think it would be neat if Roy came back in later episodes, even though they think that this other group stopped using the ghost network... you never know.
  • The voices in my head tell me this one was absolutely first rate. ;)

I loved this episode. I like that they haven't forgotten people are chasing Peter, and that that storyline is continuing. The victim on the bus looked like Jaime Murray from "Hustle." If it was, they didn't give her nearly enough to do. I love her! :)

I'm glad that they got the piece of equipment they needed from Doc's old house, and not from Massive Dynamics again. I love these little bits from the past they keep exploring a little bit at a time.

Also, I love that he's self-medicating with homemade anti-psychotics. Lovely.

And the bits of metal that acted as psychic receivers in the guy's head. I loved the whole structure of that story -- especially his artwork. Wild.

All in all, gotta say ... brilliant. Absolutely brilliant! :)
  • Tuning in to crime...

"Fringe" keeps going strong with its third episode, advancing the "Pattern" story arc while offering up another solid story mixing science and the supernatural. In a variation on the old idea of fillings picking up radio signals, the guest this week is a human receiver of secret messages thanks to research done by Walter years ago. The scene in which Walter and Peter drill into Roy's skull to "adjust" the receiver is fantastic and one of the best scenes the show has offered. Add that to the standard FBI manhunt/chase at the climax and it led to a tense finale.

Anna Torv has finally grown into the role of Olivia Dunham. I liked seeing more of Kirk Acevado; he does a great job as Olivia's FBI boss who regards her new post with more than a little skepticism. And Lance Reddick and Blair Brown prove to be two of the best TV conspiracy players since the Cancer Man on "X-Files." Their scene at the end, along with the advance of the John Scott postmortem story, was a nice balanace to the mystery of the week.
  • The best episode of Fringe yet. Character development, suspense, twists (especially at least the last few scenes), it's all there.

That is correct, Fringe has done it again with such a deliciously written episode in a series that would no doubt continue to raise to the occasion for fans.

This is personally my favourite so far, and it's not because I get to watch Dr Bishop drill into someone's head. No, it's more than that. The plot this time around was great and the way it was carried out was superbly done, thank goodness for the short commercial breaks.

Seriously though, in this episode, we get to see much more depth of the characters, main and supporting alike, but that does not mean it hogs all the screen time. The writers only allow us to know so much before they move on with the complex story. For instance, I now have no idea which side some people are on and am begging for more background info. Oh well, guess I must wait till next week...

The jokes have softened up this time around and that is not to say its a bad thing. It just makes the show more dark, without comedy taking too much of the spotlight in this modren sci-fi tv series.

Looking forward to next week with high hopes.
< 1 2