Fringe

The Last Sam Weiss

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Apr 29, 2011 on FOX

• I usually sing Fringe's praise, but ...

4.5
    I found this episode was a big letdown. You name an episode after Sam Weiss, and we learn almost nothing about him ? Peter was incapacitated, then amnesiac and confused ... before returning to normal, just like that? What was the point ? Was there any ? Regarding Sam and Peter's confusion, I'd like next episode(s) to prove they were relevant, which they don't seem to be right now. As for the "apocalyptic" feel, despite the storms, "6 02 AM" sounded more "end of the world" to me, with references to the blight, for instance, than this one.
    There were high notes, for sure. Walter and Astrid are always a joy to watch together, Walter had a sweet heart-to-heart talk with Olivia, both little by little embracing their specialness. And, of course, Olivia said the big three words. But that isn't much in the course of 40 minutes, is it ?
    Anyway, next episode should be quite a ride. I'm always a client for "Days of future past" storylines, so I'm optimistic for that one ... but really, is there any reason the closing moments of the episode didn't happen when Peter first entered the Machine, sparing us an unnecessary episode in the process ?