Fringe

Through the Looking Glass and What Walter Found There

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Nov 09, 2012 on FOX

• WHY WE WATCH

episodes like this one is why...and i'm sooooo bummmed that the series is leaving... i will miss walter and the rest...and of course that man..all he wanted was to get out of there...even if he was nothing more than an acceptable loss...the man in the script with no last name...
  • perfect episode in a perfect season so far

I'm loving season 5, too bad it's going to be the last one because the episodes are getting better and better!

And in response to the review of rcls0053 I would like to say you're wrong. You can't just assume time is linear in the pocket universe and calculate "how much faster it's going". Because it's a place outside our universe the laws of physics and therefor also time, might behave completely different there in ways we perhaps aren't even capable of understanding. So no mistakes, just another great episode!
  • "Excuse me, miss - is that raspberry filling?"

The best episode of Fringe since "Letters of Transit". This episode had it all. Some may be complaining about the pacing, but there were so any subtle elements to this brilliant episode that I feel a lot of my fellow Fringe-heads missed out on. From the return of an old plot element from seaon 1 that I assumed would never be answered or brought up again, to the beautifully haunting cinematography, the best Observer fight thus far in the season and the one thing everyone seems to have overlooked in this episode - the amazingly nuanced acting! We all know how good John Noble and Anna Torv are in their roles - and Joshua Jackson is perfect as the everyman character of Peter Bishop and, indeed, has had some incredible scenes of acting of his own throughout this show's run. But Jackson's best acting scenes usually come from melodramatic moments and he rarely gets to flex the subtleties of things such as body language and acting with only his eyes. That all changed in this episode. Peter flat out TERRIFIED me. His body language and dead eyed inquisitive stare in this episode went against everything he was saying in his heartfelt speeches with Olivia at the beginning of the episode and with Walter at the end of it. Jackson is doing a superb job of showing his transformation into... I honestly don't know what. Probably the first Observer? Regardless of what he's becoming, the cast and crew did a fantastic job with the ambiguity of this episode. There are signs of hope in the form of Donald and the surprise twist from season 1 - and Peter's new found abilities are a serious asset to the fight against the Observers...for now. There are also signs that this show will not end on a happy note. Walter is slipping into his old, morally compromised self from "LoT", and Peter could be our heroes' biggest threat that none of them will see coming. I am more excited for this season than I have ever been as the scales are eerily balanced right now and will eventually fall on the side of Triumph - or Disaster.

9.7/10 and easily the best episode so far this season
  • 5x06 "Through the Looking Glass and What Walter Found There"

The strongest episode of this season and one of my all time favourites, Fringe reaches a hole new level in the excellent episode with very touching moments (that scene with Walter and Peter in the end) and some very cool moments (the fight between Peter and the Observer). I can't wait for next week.
  • Matrix Reloaded

This episode was so much Matrix. Almost copy paste the scene that Neo (Peter) fought Agent Smith (observer) :D
  • A pocketful of Walter!

A very Walter-centric episode. Wonderful. A pocket universe...what a fabulous concept. Not sure about the whole Peter evolution thing but Olivia already knows something is up. More "resist" posters turning up and lovely character interaction, as always! (I reckon Walter should have his own show when Fringe ends. I don't really mind what he does...he can jump parallel universes solving crime for all I care...but tv land without Walter is going to be a sad sad place!)
  • Great Episode

However I'm not too keen on the treasure hunt aspect of the season though. But they have manage to keep it a minor sub plot so we can get some more of those juicy plot twists!

ps. where's the review!?
  • room 413 ...

For starters, I'd say it's always welcome when the writers remember a piece of mythology that seemed forgotten - the return of the bald mystery kid from season 1, now confirmed to be an Observer, was unexpected and intriguing. And seeing the glyphs in context was a nice touch. The action was also well done, with Peter teleporting, Olivia figuring out that her gun doesn't work in the pocket universe and reacting in mere seconds ... I already said that, but that ability the Observers have to pop up from nowhere is REALLY spooky ! Speaking of spooky, I don't like Windmark's little smile when witnessing Peter's new abilities. I don't like that one bit : can the Observers now "hijack" Peter ? Anyway, you can see Joshua Jackson incorporating some Observer "traits" in his acting in the last scene ( something in his eyes, in the way his head moves ... ). There were some nice emotional scenes ( Etta's last message, Peter and Walter's talk ) , even if not as much as last time.

Which doesn't mean I have no complaints. First, except for a walk on the ceiling, this episode was not as eccentric as the Alice-inspired title would have led to believe. Come on, laws of physics don't apply in this "pocket universe", and you don't really show it ? Second, I would have liked at least one small clue regarding the plan, or Donald's identity ( I bet he's a devolved September ).

All in all, a transitional episode.
  • Flawed script, otherwise great.

Great episode. Flawed beyond a doubt with simple mathematics. Walter said the man had been stuck in the pocket universe for five days. During that time 20 years on the outside had gone by. 5 days is 120 hours. 20 years is 172800 hours. Doing the match time runs 1440 times faster on the outside. That means relatively calculating how long they spent inside the universe, let's say it was 30 minutes. That's 0.5 hours. That times 1440 is 720 hours on the outside. 30 days. And they came out at exactly in the same timeline as the normal universe. Seems legit.