From the Earth to the Moon

Can We Do This?

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Apr 05, 1998 on HBO

• The pilot

Before there was Band of Brothers and The Pacific HBO had the epic miniseries known as From the Earth to the Moon. The cast alone is incredible. You have Bryan Cranston, Steve Zahn, Tim Daly, Dan Lauria, Peter Scolaria, Dave Foley, Debra Jo Rupp, you have Tom Hanks and Ron Howard behind the project.

It definitely set the standard for miniseries to the day, but it was less than stellar. It was a bit slow moving at times and relied too much on clips than actual new acting.

But this did get me excited about the show, their pro-NASA bias aside though. Hopefully this delivers.
  • An excellent start that sucks you right in to the series.

“Can We Do It” is an excellent start to the series. It covers the early part of the space program and American reaction to the early Soviet successes. I like the way they interweave news footage, rather than try to recreate well known speeches. Rather than have an actor play President Kennedy, they show the featured characters listening to his speech on the radio.

An enjoyable scene follows Jim Lovell meeting the other new Apollo astronauts for the first time. Men who’s names have gone down in history meeting for the first time, and they really sell the sense of wonder and anticipation. The characters anticipation fuels the viewers’ anticipation. This episode is an excellent setup, really priming you for the events to come.