Does Anyone Know . . .?

Angelwomyn

[1]Sep 23, 2007
    • level: 65

In the "Mare Tranquilitatis" episode, Michael Collins has a great line about what to say after landing on the moon. ("If you had any balls, you'd say 'Oh my God, what is that thing?' then scream and cut your mike.") I know a lot of the lines from the series are historically accurate, does anyone know if Collins really said this? It's hysterical!

Edited on 09/23/2007 9:58pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RJ-viewer

[2]Sep 23, 2007
    • level: 51

It's hard to say, because all the quote web sites have quotes from four or five people named Michael Collins all mixed together.

I suspect this must have been a true line, because it's so unusual, and unlike anything else he says. That's just my guess though.

Hoeech

[3]Jun 18, 2008
    • level: 66
    Unfortunately, it was an example of "creative license" on the part of the filmmakers. I've been a student of the exploits of all of the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions and the astronauts. In no historical account or interview did anyone claim that Michael Collins made that suggestion; including Major General Collins.

Angelwomyn

[4]Jun 28, 2008
    • level: 65

That's okay, I'm not disappointed about the creative license. The real Apollo astronauts, including Michael Collins, said plenty of amusing things. In fact, there's a collection of their jokes being assembled at another forum I'm a member of.

http://apollohoax.proboards21.com/index.cgi?board=apollo&action=display&thread=2020