From the Earth to the Moon

That's All There Is

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Apr 26, 1998 on HBO

• Alan Bean, the Apollo 12 LM Pilot, reminisces about flying to the moon with his best friends Pete Conrad and Dick Gordon.

I may be biased about this episode since I'm a fan of Dave Foley, but I really enjoyed it. These astronauts are very brave, of course; this is particularly evident when Apollo 12 gets struck by lightning after launch and they only have a few seconds to either solve their electrical problems or abort. But the show's writers also want to humanize them, so we see Bean dwelling on his mistake with the TV camera, Conrad using "colorful" language when he's annoyed, and Gordon regretting that he doesn't get to walk on the moon. Bean explains why the Apollo 12 insignia has an extra star on it (in memory of the original LM Pilot who was killed in a plane crash). I have an interest in how these insignia were designed, so I was glad they included this. I know this series was not 100% accurate, but they included many actual incidents from the missions. In this episode, some of the most hilarious moments really happened on Apollo 12, like Pete Conrad's exuberant moon landing line when he joked about his height ("Whoopee! Man, that may have been a small one for Neil, but that's a long one for me!") and the LM crew floating into the Command Module naked after Gordon complained about them being dusty. Near the end, Conrad asks Bean about something, but he's distracted because he's working on a drawing of astronauts on the moon. I wonder if this inspired anyone to surf the web and look at the real Alan Bean's art. I hope so; it's amazing.