Frontier House

PBS (ended 2002)

Frontier House Fan Reviews (2)

6.9
  • A combination of Little House on the Prairie and Survivor that can show people not only how people lived before, how we can live today in a better way.

I saw the marathon a couple of years after it was first shown and I loved it! It was even better than 1900 House (I didn\'t expect it to be). Paris & Nicole (The Simple Life) thought living in the Ozarks of today was hard; they wouldn\'t last 5 minutes on this show (I would like to see a show like this with celebrities). It\'s also kind of like Survivor only there are no winners or losers. And forget about family Fear Factor; that\'s nothing compared to this. I loved that the women didn\'t wear make up. Women today are so dependent and obsessed with adornment. I thought all of the women looked good, though they didn\'t feel that way. Back then, no women wore make up (except for prostitutes) so it was equal. Also, the women didn\'t wear bras. Back then it was just normal and natural. And, I thought it was funny when Karen put on the sanitary belt and said that it looked like a thong. Talk about culture change.

I liked all 3 families.

Even those who didn\'t like it while they were there, by the end they knew that they were going to miss things about it.
  • You Want Some Cabin Fever?

The idea for such a venture sprung out of a popular series The 1900 House, which was shown on PBS last year. In that series, the Bowler family volunteered to travel back in time to the era of Victorian Britain, spending three months living every detail: no electricity, shampoo, or aspirin. Instead, they struggled with gas lighting, a range stove with a mind of its own, whalebone corsets, and a new set of family values. Their fascinating encounter with the past stirred a lot of interest, and many people contacted us to ask if a period of American history could be explored in such a way. Frontier House has done just that. This time, three family groups (brothers, sisters, cousins, and individuals were all welcome to apply) traveled back in time to the days of the Wild West, living as settlers did in on the frontier back in the 1880s. No one could pretend it was be easy, but their story gave us a vivid picture of how far we have come, maybe even a little of what we have lost along the way.

So how did this happen? Preparations were made in Montana for the filming of the series. We selected a beautiful valley in a remote corner in which to locate the project. There, each of our selected families took over their own 160-acre plot of homestead land. Through late spring, summer, and early fall of 2001, we observed their complete immersion into the lifestyle -- how they fared with building their home, tending their livestock, planting food, catching fish in the creek -- all without the assistance of modern technology. Their triumphs and frustrations provide a unique account of one of the most important, and often romanticized, periods in American history.