Fruits Basket

(ended 2001)

Angus_Mac

Fruits Basket Fan Reviews (133)

• Good, but not as good as the manga

Fruits Basket still remains one of my all time favorite mangas. The characters were fun, the story was interesting, and the artwork was unique. Then we get to the anime. I'll start off with the technical aspects. The animation is decent--you don't need too much money to make a series based mainly on comedy--and the sub is good. Despite some mispronunciations like Ka-GOO-ra, the voice acting was good.) I especially love Tohru's actress--Laura Bailey--and the fact that they actually got Christopher freakin' Sabat! Now lets get to the anime's greatest flaw, the ending. From this point on there will be spoilers, so if you haven't read the manga, I'd recommend you stop reading this review right now. In volume seventeen of the manga, it's revealed that Akito is, in fact, female--earlier in the series we learn that she's also God. In the anime, Akito is supposed to be dying. I HATE what they did here. For starters, if Akito was a man from the very beginning, it would be hard to do the Myth arc, if the creators ever make another series(which they aren't, but just an afterthought.) Second of all, this is supposed to be based off the myth of the Zodiac, which is said by Tohru's mother in a flashback to be controlled by God. So if Akito isn't God and is only sickly, then who is the God supposed to be. Despite all the problems the creators of the anime would face if they decided to continue, Fruits Basket is a great anime on its own, and should rank up there with shoujo classics like Sailor Moon and Ouran Host Club(even though OHSHC came out after Furuba.)