Fruits Basket

The Strangest Day

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jul 05, 2001 on

• This has to be my…6th time watching this episode, so it must be good :)

It starts out showing how strong and cheerful Tohru is. One of her first lines was, "My motto is Never give up!" And, seeing how she constantly dodges sadness bullets, it makes it want to be your motto too. It also introduces Shigure as the perverted character that we all love for comic relief. So, we have inspirational good guy plus pervert plussss two bishies ;) Yuki would be the perfect prince charming type with an unhappy past. What's not to love? Then there's Tough guy, Kyo. He's got a rough past too, but, hey, he's just great. I feel like the pilot episode's job is to hook me onto the series. I expect it to show me a little preview of what to expect for the entire series, and Fruits Basket doesn't let down. It's great and never failed to show off the character's likeable and most dominant personality traits.
  • Tohru Honda is an ordinary girl,with a painful background. Now an orphen after her mother's death, living in the woods seems like a good idea. But when you add a "prince",a perverted cousin who live together, strict no-girl policy,and an orange cat.......

This first ep. is very good. Many animes usually start off with a very crumbly beginning, with hardly any character background or adventure. This ep. highlights what the series will be about, and fills the watcher with anticipation to watch the next ep. becasuse of the cliffhanger ending. Tohru Honda is the angel we dream ourselves being. Not everybody could smile after losing everything. Yuki Sohma is the prince girls dream of. He is the boy you would love to stalk, but never actually go out with. Shigure is that perverted guy in every manga/anime who keeps the romance coming. And who doesn't love orange cats with a penchent for trouble, you are in for one hell of a romantic comedy.
  • very very very very gooooood

Ok in this episode we met Tohru Honda a regular girl who's mom has died in a car accident and was living in a tent in a forest. On her way to school she comes upon a house with stones that are painted with the animals of the zodiac on each one, thus begins the meeting of the Sohma Family and Tohru in this great show, which has Tohru doing the best she can to keep her promise to her mom and helping her new found friends to be more at peace with themselves by using the things her mom taught her. You gotta watch this show it is great.
  • Nice!

Haha, this was really great! I'm looking forward to watch more of this anime!

Yeah, a great introduction episode. So, there is this girl, Tohru Honda, who lives alone in a tent due to both her parents being dead. She seems to be doing well on the outside, but she really has a lot of pain inside.

So, she meets with this boy, Yuki Sohma, who is the "Prince Charming" at his school, admired by many. I found his voice to be kinda weird, though, because it sounded like he was a girl.

Well, I really liked this. usually, I watch pretty action-filled anime, but this was great, even though it didn't feature that level of action. If the series continue to do what they have done in this episode, I will definitely enjoy watching it.

Oh, and they turned to animals at the end. That was kinda funny. I wonder what will happen next now?

Anywho, great ep! 8.8/10
  • This got me hooked on the series!

This is the episode that got me hooked! (as well as the manga). I think Tohru Honda has some amazing strength and courage being able to live on her own like that. However, she needs help as well. I think that she is in deeper than she realizes, and living with the Sohmas would be just about the wisest choice she could make at the moment. But little does she know, it's also going to take her on the wildest journey of her entire life! Tohru is in for something huge. Also, it's something to be admired that no matter how bad things are for Tohru herself, she always put others before her and worries about their well-being. She also always finds something to smile about, no matter the situation.
  • Now we know why all the Sohmas act the way they do and Yuki pushes the Fan Girls away.

The episode starts out with Tohru Honda explaining why she lives in a tent. Her mother was killed in a car crash in May. She was supposed to live with her grandfather, but her aunt and her family were going to live there too. So grandpa had some remodeling to do, and Tohru was supposed to stay at a friend's. Well, Uo lives in a one room apartment, and Hana's family is just too big. So not wanting to burden anyone, Tohru lives in a tent in the woods. She is out walking one day, and notices a house in the trees. Tohru walks down to the porch, and sees little rocks painted to look like the zodiac animals. A VERY hot man steps out of the house and talks to her. She notes that he doesn't have the cat. So then Tohru tells him the story her mom told her about the cat not going to God's party. The man starts to comment on how beautiful she is, and then the heartthrob of Tohru's high school, Yuki Sohma steps out of the house and whacks the man on the head with his backpack. The hot guy's name is Shigure, and is Yuki's cousin. Yuki asks where Tohru lives and she says, "Um..... Not far." So after school that day, she goes hom eto her little tent. Shigure and Yuki are coming hom after dinner, and see it. They go down and stand in front of it and wait. Tohru crawls out. They stare at each other for a moment, then Shigure throws a laughing fit. They go back to Shigure's house, and Tohru wears some of Yuki's clothes. She explains the story to them. Then Shigure was going to make another one of his unnessicary comments, then he stops. A wolf is howling somewhere. He says, "Do you hear that? There's been another landside." It happens to be near the tent. Tohru freaks out. Then she colapses. While she's asleep, Yuki goes out and digs to find her things. The next day, Tohru accidently hugs them and this new orange haired boy who shows up, and the boys turn into animals.
  • the cat is the best!!

hmm very interesting show. alot of back ground in this first episode, i feel bad for the girl but she does not look like a high schooler, she looks young. yea so that one boy(the rat i think) looks like a girl. the cat boy is so cute!! and that other older guy is weird the way he acts. any hoo i had a hey day when he turned into a cat and she blamed herself. it was cute. this has a pontental to make a great show.
  • Tohru Honda is a regular girl who's living in a house with the Sohma Family who have a strange curse on them.

• Such a good episode to start off a great anime!!!!!

Tohru Honda loses her mom in a terrible acident!! So she moves in with her Grandparents, then has to live on her own for a while. One her way to school, she gets sidetracted by stones that looks so close to the Chinese Zodiac signs. As she looks as them, she sees that the Prince of her school, Yuki, lives at that house!!! He offers to work her to school, when she gets to school, his fan club gets jelous and tries to see why she was hanging out with him. Fourchetly, Tohru's friends help her out. They aske her what she has been up to lately. When she tells them that she is okay, they just accept the fact that she might not want to talk about it! WHen she gets back to her tent to work on school work, Yuki and his Cousin Shigure, who also lives with him, see her in her tent on their way home! They offer her to stay with them seeing that she is living by herself, she doesn't want to impose, but when she sees that her tent is destroy she stays for the night. When she wakes up, she sees her picture of her mom. Yuki said that he got that along with a bunch of her stuff. They want her to stay with them as long as she can. So she maks a deal with them saying that she will cook and clean for them as long as she can stay in their house. But then their other cousin Kyo comes by, and hates the fact that she is staying with them! So then he tries to get her out, she loses her blance and touches Kyo, and the rest of the boys. Then she sees the family secret!! She tries to see what happened, they try to erase her memmery, buy she promised not to tell another soul. They believe her, and as long as she doesn't touch them, things will be okay!!
  • Tohru Honda is a 16 year old orphan, but with all the terrible things that have happen to her she can still find a reason to smile.

We first meet the eternally optimistic Tohru Honda. Her life can be described as tragic, but you wouldn't know it if you looked at her. A girl who always has a smile on her face and brings that inner brightness to others. Her grandfather left town and told her to make her own arrangements for living. A little unusual, but it turned out to be the best thing for Miss Honda. Well, at least eventually it was a good thing, but first she had to live in a tent. Through an unfortunate series of events she finds herself living with 2 young men. One of which is the Prince of her High School, Yuki. This episode is pretty great. I was a little hestitant to watch more, but I just couldn't resist to find out what happened next.