Full House

ABC (ended 1995)

Tubelubber

Full House Fan Reviews (545)

• Nostalgia and Warm Fuzzy Feelings, and the Urge to Smack Bratty Kids

While Full House was a big part of my life since I was three and most of the time, I still love the show - enough to have bought the complete DVD series! - I have to say that the awesone parts were seriously counteracted by the child-centered plots. As a kid, I loved that a show had the guts to portray whole situations from a child's point of view, although when I tried getting away with anything D.J., Stephanie, or Michelle did, I ended up in "big trouble, mister." But the "child-centered" episodes I'm talking about are not the D.J. or Stephanie episodes; they're the Michelle ones. Not only was this odd-looking child a terrible actress, but every single episode focused on the youngest, most-annoying Tanner child. (Nicky and Alex are Katsopolises and therefore don't count.) But literally, you can't go two minutes in any of these episodes without seeing or hearing from or even about Michelle. To highlight just a few of the things that bugged me, in the episode "Shape Up," Michelle decides she's not a little girl as much as she is a total pig and decides to sit her fat arse in the middle of the dining table with her head on a platter of cake samples Uncle Jesse brought home to help determine which flavor to have his wedding cake made of. She literally uses her bare hands to shovel whole mouthfuls into her face, her head horizontal with the top of the table. When I saw this, I almost threw my remote at the TV; that's how annoyed I got when I saw Michelle on all fours like the animal she is and her whole family, standing around laughing like she's just so cute - she's not, by the way. In "The Last Dance," Michelle insults her great-uncle (Papouli, whatever relation he is to the child-animal everyone so adores) repeatedly and only shows him any leniency for his age when he agrees to do something for her. Despite being about seven or eight, her acting hasn't improved. She hears the news that Papouli has died and sort of deadpans all of her lines, with zero expression at all. To be honest, seeing D.J., Stephanie, Uncle Jesse, and the others coping with real tears in their eyes and expressions that indicate real, genuine grief (impressing!) brought tears to my eyes, too - only in part because my father just died and I'm an emotional bundle of "don't mess with me," but this scene is truly a touching one, not at all cheesy or overdone. Very much the opposite where Michelle's concerned.

Full House is an amazing series, despite Michelle. The family values are reflected in every episode, though Michelle was always a brat because unlike in a real family, absolutely nobody punished this girl. Still, the family's abilities to talk through every problem and the show's courage to portray real-life situations, such as death and eating disorders, dealt with by children and adults alike, make it a wonderful addition to your shelf - especially for those of us with fond memories from the long-ago days when this show was still on TV! The show focuses a lot on issues that are a bit exaggerated (as an example, all four adults in the house have jobs with a showbiz theme - TV host, musician, comedian, adertising, etc.) but also on nice, simple issues that nearly everyone ought to be able to relate to - sibling rivalry, fighting with friends, fighting with family, body image, peer pressure, and romance - as well as having a large family and not much privacy.

I rate this show an 8 because while the show touched on serious subjects and 8/9 actors/actresses were awesome and the jokes were (unless they came out of Joey's or Michelle's mouth(s)) actually funny, and many of the situations were relatable and interesting, the brat-centered episodes and lazy attempt at a finale (the show deserved better) truly took away from it. Fortunately, nostalgia is on this show's side in my case.