Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu

The Patient of Darkness

Aired Tuesday 2:30 AM Sep 16, 2003 on

• Kaname takes Sousuke to an old abandoned hospital, hoping to scare him and make him show his human side. However, it appears that despite the numerous spooky appearances in the building, nothing can frighten Sousuke...right?

Another classic tale in the Fumoffu series. Kaname spends the majority of the episode trying to expose some kind of fear in Sousuke when he shows no such reaction to her horror stories. It was so entertaining to see Sousuke shoot down every attempt to scare him with a "That's odd" or "It's not like it's a bomb" or "They're just voices". But the clincher for me was the last one, where the girl covered in blood kept saying "Go home" and "Drop dead". What was Sousuke's reaction? "She only has a hammer." At that point I started cracking up, and Kaname's reaction had me rolling on the floor. I mean, she actually started yelling at the ghost to be more scary! The most touching part, though, was when Sousuke admitted to being scared when he thought Kaname was hurt and bleeding. It was such an "Awwww" moment. I just love this episode!
  • Haunted buildings are so much fun! Right, Shaggy?

This episode uses the popular, yet overly done, horror theme of exploring the mystery of a haunted building. However, with the focus on Sousuke's deadpan reaction the episode delivers many gems.

Given the history and popularity of Ringu (The Ring) and Ju-On (The Grudge), I was expecting an episode full of Scary Movie-like horror parodies, but very few even made it on-screen. The ones that did weren't scary at all, maybe from the lack of memorable sound effects or lighting, or not tapping into the CGI resources that were used in the FMP series. Although it's more likely my lack of knowledge of Japanese horror films.

Still, Kaname was a terrific lead as usual. There were few annoying flashbacks, and a brief character development payoff at the end.