Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Forums

Adult Swim (ended 2011)

How does it compare to the original?

How does this version compare to the original 2004 version?

drdan2410

[1]Apr 14, 2009
    • level: 52
    I have to say that so far they are about the same in my opinion but I would like to hear what everyone else has to say.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

peaceknuckle

[2]Apr 15, 2009
    • level: 15
    Maybe you should have one of the choices be, to be decided. There's ony two episodes out so far, a little hard to compare since the storyline is bound to be very similar to the first series for a couple of episodes. I like the animation, and the fact that the series is going to follow the manga more closely. I don't know if I'd say it's better, more like it's different FMA so it's good regardless.

blackmage8472

[3]Apr 22, 2009

Ok, I was a huge fan of the first one and this one had a very good start. But I have a few questions:

1) By remake do they mean there's no connection between this and the previous Fullmetal Alchemist? It's definitely not the same storyline because in the original: a) They had already met Hughes during training. b) They didn't meet Armstrong until they were going after Marcoh. Or is this some sort of alternate timeline thingy?

2) This is supposed to be more closely related to the manga? Can anyone confirm that?

peaceknuckle

[4]Apr 23, 2009
    blackmage8472 wrote:

Ok, I was a huge fan of the first one and this one had a very good start. But I have a few questions:

1) By remake do they mean there's no connection between this and the previous Fullmetal Alchemist? It's definitely not the same storyline because in the original: a) They had already met Hughes during training. b) They didn't meet Armstrong until they were going after Marcoh. Or is this some sort of alternate timeline thingy?

2) This is supposed to be more closely related to the manga? Can anyone confirm that?

This series will follow the manga, so there will be some differences, both small and big. For the next few weeks, it should mostly be small stuff, but after that it's will probably take a pretty drastic turn away from the first anime series.

drdan2410

[5]Apr 24, 2009
    • level: 52
    peaceknuckle wrote:
    blackmage8472 wrote:

This series will follow the manga, so there will be some differences, both small and big. For the next few weeks, it should mostly be small stuff, but after that it's will probably take a pretty drastic turn away from the first anime series.

If you tuned in expecting a straight forward remake then you are very much out of luck. As great as the first series was they changed a lot of stuff from the manga so this show will be markedly different from the first anime series.

blackmage8472

[6]Apr 25, 2009
    drdan2410 wrote:
    peaceknuckle wrote:
    blackmage8472 wrote:

If you tuned in expecting a straight forward remake then you are very much out of luck. As great as the first series was they changed a lot of stuff from the manga so this show will be markedly different from the first anime series.

Too be honest, I was kinda hoping for some kinda sequel. Something like they re-enter their own world but have to pay the price of what they won back (Al's body, Ed's arm and leg). But really so far what I've seen, I like. The world of Fullmetal Alchemist that the writers created is a very interesting.
    ***SPOILER***

Edited on 04/27/2009 1:50am

thetruesora

[7]Apr 26, 2009
    • level: 22
    I don't know much about the manga but I think the big differences for the start will be to do with how the homunculus are.

LOBDEN09

[10]May 31, 2009
    • level: 1

i just think that there is some different senses that it wasn't in the original, so just a bit different.

trax0r1990

[11]Jun 19, 2009
    • level: 4
    I loved the original Fullmetal Alchemist series and was a little curious about how this would pan out, I've read a couple of the mangas and it's safe to say that it's lived up to my expectations. I know that the original series didn't follow the mangas and went off on a massive digression but needless to say, it was a fantastic show.

That being said, I was going to buy all of the original series and shamballa on DVD, and I may not be doing this now that this series has been released...

XGalt

[12]Jul 4, 2009
    • level: 13
    After thirteen episodes I think it's pretty safe to say I'm starting to enjoy Brothers more so than the original. The main reason for this is the fact that it follows the manga much more closely than the original. In doing so the story is moving along very swiftly with less lingering in certain areas.

While doing this might jar fans of only the original anime let me assure you this is entirely necessary. What you think of as the entirety of the FMA storyline only accounts for maybe a third of the manga. There are so many new story lines and characters to bring into this new series they don't have time to dwell.

However, it's not all sunshine and fudge with the new series. I have to say that some of plot points were handled better in the original anime. I think that since we'd gotten to know Hughes a lot better in the original his "big scene" packs more of an emotional punch than it does in Brothers. Also, at the start I felt the human transmutation of their mother lacked the punch of the original, but as time goes on they seem to be adding to the layers of that event.

So for anyone out there wondering if they should make the plunge into Brothers, even though they've seen the original and possibly read the manga, my answer is an unqualified yes. While it lacks the original punch of the first anime it more than makes up for it by telling the original story set forth by the manga. In doing so it provides a wonderfully layered approach to the material that I would assume you love (why else would you be here reading this?).

soraya64

[13]Jul 9, 2009
    • level: 4

I don't know?

Part one was great for comedy, Ed's tantrums are funny, I like the dub voice actors and the scenery was brighter. The only down side is I found the last episode and movie deppressing.

Brotherhood seems a lot more serious. Yet the end isn't in sight and I look forward to watching it each week.

JCTStrife

[14]Jul 13, 2009
    • level: 6
    I found the first series to be one of the greatest anime ever made, so I obviously say the first is better, but they are blazing through the old stuff really quickly that until I see something radically new I can't compare it to the original since the first 13 episodes were retellings of the first 30+ episodes of the original with new wrinkles and slight changes

meeper22

[15]Jul 14, 2009
    • level: 5
    The original had a lot of interesting plots and twists but I've been reading the manga and still do. I thought FMA brotherhood would last long but from the looks of it, it might be shorter than what I expected. There's some things in the manga they took out in fma brotherhood, I guess cause it didn't make sense or it was too violent. They're moving things quickly in this series though, Greed is already dead, Ling has now been introduced, pretty soon they'll reveal who Pride is. I don't think this anime will go past the manga because the manga is almost over, all I wonder is how Envy's true form will look in the anime because it is SERIOUSLY MESSED UP in the manga.

kadrin-chan

[16]Jul 21, 2009
    • level: 6

at first it seemed like just a recap of the english version/first version; but then i noticed one thing--the Fuher is NOT Pride! They say that the Fuher is Wrath! so now i'm a little confused, but it seems like they just want to recap kind of, and then they'll get on with more. but another thing, aparently Juliet Douglas/Fuher's assistant is not sloth. Juliet Douglas is also Ed and Al's mother. Also, when Ed and Al find out that Maes Hughes is dead, they find this out alot sooner than before. and the Fuher is the one who captured Greed, but Ed didn't kill greed this time! i get confused a lot this time around.

i hope that if they bring Brotherhood to the US, Vic Mignogna will play Ed again!!! i hope! and the same goes for the rest of the cast!

YamiGuzz

[17]Aug 7, 2009
    The first one to me seemed more series and had more emotion, especially with Nina and Hughe's death. The Brotherhood one seems to have more comical scenes. However it's still pretty good.if it is supposed to follow the manga, i'm worried about upcoming fillers. At the current pace that they're going it won't be long before they catch up to the manga.

Airemla

[18]Aug 17, 2009
    • level: 8

You wouldn't be as confused if you had read the manga before watching the first anime, like I did. After having read it, I sat like a questionmark through the entire last half of the anime. The story, characters and happening in the beginning are based on the manga, but after that the plot is totally different.

The first episodes are of course a bit hurried in Brotherhood, since fans of the first series won't be bored most of the time with stuff they had already seen, but that is now over after 20 episodes, now comes only stuff that weren't part of the first anime.

In my opinion Brotherhood is far better than the "original" FMA, since that one only confused, angered and depressed me, but I'm still a bit dissapointed with Brotherhood. They cut out their trip to Youthwell (however it's spelled, the coalmine) and the train-adventure, chapters 3 and 4 in the manga. Those chapters were some of my favourites, they had killing humour and great action (at least the train-chapter), but those episodes in the first anime weren't as pleasing for me as I had hoped.

And I agree that Hughes's death and the arrest of Maria Ross was very hurried, but they probably just want to get on with the story.

It's one of the best manga I've read (haven't read many, though ^^), and I hope Brotherhood won't disappoint me, at least not a lot..

Paladax

[19]Oct 7, 2009
    • level: 5

Personally I really like it and rate it as good if not better than the original. I love how instead of just making Further Bradley a meer shapeshifting hummonculious they made him an experiment of the militarys and the fact that the whole military seems to be in on it. Plus the fact that it is possible in this FMA universe at least to kill hommonculi.

The only problem with this show is that it is still running and I therefore have to wait a week at a time for new episodes, whereas I had all the original series on DVD when I started watching it.

XGalt

[20]Dec 5, 2009
    • level: 13
    Yeah I know what you mean Paladax, but we really can't complain too much here. I mean we've basically ran through three seasons without any lengthy break this year (I count the seasons by how many times the intro/ending changes). So I figure by mid next year Brotherhood should be completely through it's Japanese run. Hopefully the dubbed eps will come out just as fast...though I highly doubt it.