Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Adult Swim (ended 2011)

deershadow

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Fan Reviews (18)

• Brilliant!

absolutely perfect. What's more to be said. :)
  • Fantastic

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is the best!

• With an incredible plot, mesmerizing action sequences, amazing characters, and deep themes, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is a masterpiece of an anime

This anime... it leaves me speechless. Tears were literally streaming out of my eyes as I watched the climax, simply because of the power of the show. It's incredible. It really is. The story follows Edward Elric and his brother Alphonse as they set out on a journey to recover the bodies they lost after attempting to use alchemy to bring their dead mother back to life. As they meet many different people along the way, they soon become entangled in an elaborate and nefarious conspiracy that spans hundreds of years and hundreds of conflicts involving the country they live in, Amestris.

Plot: The plot of this show will blow your mind. Seriously. Its scope and scale is enormous, and the number of different plotlines creates an awesome story boggling in its complexity. Everything is planned out, as small hints dropped along the way accumulate slowly until it all culminates in grand, magnificent revelations and mind-blowing plot twists. Nothing is as it seems, and the multiple plots involving tons of characters all intertwine together, creating a plot that's brilliant and genius. Even more amazing is the way philosophy is integrated into the show's structure, and is closely tied with chemistry. The series explores deep themes relating to philosophy and in particular morality, and is incredible thought-provoking. It is far from black and white, and at times you may find yourself wondering if you should be for or against certain characters with their own controversial agendas and philosophies who are not expressly evil. It almost never drags

I should mention that this story is really meant for an older audience. There's plenty of silly humor, especially regarding Ed's height, sure, but at its core the story is very dark and has some incredibly disturbing parts that will make you shudder in revulsion at the incredible brutality and evil demonstrated by certain individuals and governments. The Ishvalan Civil War and the Nina incident in particular are chilling in their mercilessness.

Characters: Its amazing that despite such an enormous cast, everyone gets their moments to shine. There is an abundance of lovable and awesome characters, and there is also an abundance of character depth. The anime finds time to develop many of the characters thoroughly, so that they feel real and can be emotionally attached to. Be aware that many awesome characters do die in the series, so be prepared for sorrow and tragedy, of which the series has plenty.

Action: The anime is far more concerned with having a proper, solid story and deep characters than many action sequences, which frankly makes it better than all other action anime out there, in my opinion. When the action sequences do come, however, they are fast-paced, frantic, and generally just awesome and worth the wait, and they really do blow away action sequences from most other series, even the Big Three (One Piece, Bleach, and Naruto). They are relatively short, but they are still incredible in that short time period.

Animation: The anime was obviously made on a high budget, as it is wonderful to look at, and the movements, facial expressions, and battles are all animated fluidly and almost flawlessly, so there's nothing really to complain about here.

Music: The openings are all awesome, and the soundtrack withing the show really helped set the mood.

I really don't think I did the show justice in this review, I really don't, so you'll have to watch it to understand why it's one of my most favorite anime of all time. It's just incredible, so I recommend you get up right now and watch it, because otherwise you are seriously missing out on a experience you'll never forget.

Trust me.
  • A great and lasting anime

I first saw this show on adult swims, "Toonami", and I have to say I could not have been happier from the first episode. The plot is great, there is always something interesting going on, enough to keep you in the show 'till the end of the episode. If your a fan of anime and for some reason HAVEN'T seen this series, I would highly advise you to do so, for it is a great one.
  • Excellence through and through

This a show that, at first, wasn't that great. The first few episodes are like Fullmetal Sparknotes. They speed through the stuff we have already seen in the first anime to get to the new stuff, which is all well and good, but I would prefer them just continuing the story normally, and not compressing it. Serious moments are ruined by comedy. Around episode 16 or so, the comedy goes away and the show gets great, and it makes up for the earlier episodes. Episode 19, in particular, is one of my favorite episodes of the show. The storyline is the same as the original, but it is based off the manga, which doesn't automatically make it better, but I think the story of the manga is better. Overall, it is an excellent anime adaptation of such a great manga.
  • Most definitely one of the most original animes I have seen!

This show truly is great and I really think that this show is far better than most animes out there today. The plot is very original and very well thought out! The characters are very well done in my opinion. It really is my 2nd favorite anime and manga, I really do think that this series beats out of anime today and will continue to do so!
  • My Favorite Anime, the best!

The story plot itself is great! And the dynamic characters are really amazing.
  • Solid anime, never was a fan of the manga.

The original FMA was a classic anime based on the manga but had to stray away from the plot to wrap its self up. In 2009 FMA Brotherhood was created to follow the manga and finish the story. The anime/manga is okay but never quite live up to other media like One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto and D. Gray Man. The show 's biggest weakness is its problem with plot holes and pacing issues especially during the first 13 episodes and the Briggs Fortress Arc. While the shows ends on a happy note it never quite measures up to the ending in Conqueror of Shamballa.
  • In Memoriam

Warning: Maybe Some Spoilers?

Major props - for doing things I thought were impossible; aka ending this show properly, this is one of the shows that I thought would bring disappointment regardless of the ending, but was proved me wrong.

After about season two I was pretty much addicted to the crazy life of the Elric Brothers, literally staying up as much as my body would let me to watch the next episode. Something rationality told me to calm down years ago, this show had the power to make me relapse into.

The character development was phenomenal; I felt emotions for characters far beyond my expectations, emotions that caught me off guard.

The Plot - unpredictable, well unless you read the Manga, in comparison to the original FMA series, this show is far better.

FMA: Brotherhood is similar to the first use the most addictive substance you can fathom, you just crave more.
  • Truly a well plotted out and interesting piece of work.

This show is all around a very cleverly written anime. It has romance without it being in your face mushy. it has angst but at an understandable level. Drama without getting too wrapped up in it. The characters are deep, and action that only seems to get eye catching artistic when combined with beautiful animation.

The shows plots are complicated, and when the shocking twists that you don't see coming get thrown at you, they are believable and you really accept them rather than coming off too far fetched. It makes you think but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

When you have humans going up against seemingly immortal monsters, it keeps you on your toes and you can't wait to find out how in the world they get out of these messes.

The only keys to unlocking the secret of reclaiming their old bodies is Science, spiritualistic philosophy and the unknown and while these forces seem to be at constant war with each other, when they come together, you're left with a feeling that it all makes sense you just couldn't see it before.

While it doesn't do all of the things I've mentioned up above perfectly. it does them well enough to give this anime an A in my opinion.
  • thank god finally a version that actually follows the manga unlike the original spoilers

its not that i didn't love the original i did but this one is 100x better. they spent more time on the story and less on filler. most of the manga characters that wern't in the original are awesome. some things didn't change though thank goodness. like hughes death it was almost even more sad than the first time he died which is quite a spectacular feat. the va's from the original returned thank god. i don't think i would of watched it without the original cast. once you get a voice set with a face its too hard to just imagine someone else fitting the role.
    the pacing is very good though i'm sad that lust and greed are already dead they were my 2 favorites out of the humunculus. they changed the way they died and the names most of them had to follow the manga this time. pride fuerer bradly is now wrath ( i think pride fit him better :( ) and a philosipher stone has been put in the core of their bodys and if destroyed they cease to be instead of destroying their original corpses in the first one.
  • FMA returns, though there are its ups and downs.

Wow, this series is moving pretty dang fast. I didn't expect it to move so fast. A certain character's death, don't want to spoil anything for those who dislike spoilers, was pretty rushed. I wish they spent a little more time developing characters, including some of the "fillers" they had in the first one to better explain some of them. But besides the fact that it seems to be moving faster and some of the character's stories aren't as explained, unless you watched the first one and decided to watch the second series (then you would know more about characters that remained the same from the first series), I like it. The first couple of episodes seemed similar to episodes from the first series, though crammed into one short, action-packed episode, but after a while it greatly differed and started to follow the manga, for the most part. If you like the manga and wished the anime followed it more closely, this is totally for you. If you liked the first series, but wanted a better ending (this is just my personal opinion so pay no mind), then you might like this. Or if you're an avid fan of the first one and liked it the way it was, then this might not be for you, as people say that it doesn't have the same impact as the first one did. But, all in all, I really like it so far and the fight scenes, and some other scenes, have been epic so far and I hope it continues.
  • The story of Fullmetal Alchemist retold, except this time from the manga point of view.

I've enjoyed the Fullmetal Alchemist series since it came on Adult Swim in 2004. I really enjoyed the original Fullmetal Alchemist, but now we have Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, which tells the story from the manga point of view and I have to say this version is better than the original. There's more humor, more characters, some differences on how the story progresses, no fillers, better ways to kill the homunculi and Fuhrer King Bradly's homunculus name is Wrath instead of Pride. This show has awesome action, great soundtrack, great story, fun characters and is everything from the original except better. Be careful though, this show has A LOT of blood. So if you're too faint of heart, don't watch this show, but if you're an action anime fan, please watch this show and you'll really enjoy it.
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is a rather ironic title for the series, as it focuses much less on actual brotherhood than its predecessor.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is a rather ironic title for the series, as it focuses much less on actual brotherhood than its predecessor. In fact, it shares practically nothing with the original Fullmetal Alchemist aside from a similar plot and a few of the same Japanese voice actors. Now, this wouldn't be bad in and of itself, but most of the differences are, unfortunately, to its detriment. The pace is quick, with a disproportionate amount of screen-time given to fights and SD gags, and not enough given for a properly developed backstory. Many characters have entirely different personalities: Edward is more of a brat, and Alphonse barely has any personality at all. By this point in the last series, the characters had much more depth, while the characters of Brotherhood, with the exception of a few scenes, seem to be largely caricatures. Furthermore, it overuses visual gags and slapstick humor, even in serious or emotional moments. More often than not, it's too jarring to be funny. This can all be blamed on the fact that this anime is a shounen adventure story to its very core, with a tone not dissimilar from titles such as One Piece and Naruto. I was pleasantly surprised when the previous series managed to avoid most of the more annoying aspects of shounen, but Brotherhood, unfortunately, has not managed to do the same. If you like shounen, however, you will probably like Brotherhood, as it is at least high-quality shounen. Overall, it has abandoned the things about the first anime that I loved so much. And, as such, I rate this anime "fair".

Perhaps my opinion will change as the series progresses, but I think it's unlikely.
  • This show was a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

Although it has the same basic storyline as the original FMA this retelling is a lot more gripping than the original as it skips the setting of the stage and instead jumps straight into the action with the background story being told along the way. While doing all this it somehow maintains the original heart and soul of this show. It also reshuffles some of the storyline which I quite like with almost all the main baddies being involved in the story right from the word go. Give it a watch, if your a fan of the original, then chances are you will like this one.
  • Awesome, FMA returns and this time it looks like it's going to be longer. The best anime ever returns to life!

When I originally watched the series I was confused because I thought it was a continuation of what happened at the end of the original anime series. Little did I know, it was actually a retelling of the storyline following the manga. I'll admit the first few episodes seemed exactly like the anime (including a tragic figures demise), however by the time the show introduced the character of Lin it suddenly became a total different series. The story goes to a completely different direction from the Original series, and when I mean different I also mean better. The show introduces new characters including the aforementioned Prince of Xing (Lin), the princess of Xing the young May-Chang (a master of Xiangese alchemy), then you got other great characters introduced like Major Armstrong's sister Olivia, and of course new villains like Pride (Selim Bradley), and Father (The Homunculus in the flask). This is probably one of the few brilliant shows with great dialogue, action, animation and characters. It never let's me down, it's just emotionally rich in terms of story. I love Ed and Al's journey to try and get back their body, I love the distrust between Mustang and his colleagues against Fuhrer Bradley and the army. There's one particular episode where Mustang realizes what the army is doing, and yet he is in a room with Bradley and realizes he can't do anything it was probably one of the most disconcerting things I've ever seen, I was literally like "There's nothing he can do." The story picks up, and thankfully there is no filler so each episode leads to a pivotal new conclusion (kind of like Lost). If you like the original series, you'll love this a lot more. It explores things you never thought you'd see in the first Anime. Definitely the best anime I've ever seen.
  • An instant classic and a must for all anime fans.

Despite the alternate title of FMA2 this is a remake and not a sequel. The plot is essentially the same but follows the manga much more closely which for most fans will be an improvement. For those of you who don't know the plot it is about Ed and Al two brothers who live in a world of alchemy and it follows them as they travel the world in search of answers about their past. Saying any more would give too much away.

The voice actors are great just as before (most of them are the same) and the script that they deliver is just as funny and gripping as always. The animation is much lighter and crisper then previously which gives the show a different feel, that I think worls excellently to help seperate it from the previous series.

All in all everyone is going to love this just as they loved the original. Watch and enjoy!
  • I'm pretty excited that we're gettng some more FMA, especially when I thought the show had ended for good! Out of all the anime I've seen, this is my favourite.

FMA has always stuck with me for its original storyline, detailed animation and awesome characters. I guess I was hoping this series would pick up where the last left off, so I was a bit confused when I watched the first episode and realised it's more of a 'remake' of the original. I haven't read the manga, so it'll be interesting to see the differences between this series and the last. Even with it being so closely related (so far) to the first series, I'm still loving it and am stoked that the brothers are back. For people who haven't seen the show before, I don't think they'll be disappointed :)