Fullmetal Alchemist

A Forger's Love

Aired Saturday 12:00 AM Nov 27, 2004 on Cartoon Network

• Ed and Al battle an army of zombies!!!

If this had a Friends episode title, it would be "The One With The Army Of The Undead". OK, so Ed is 12 and Al is 11. I don't remember if they're just travelling or if it's an order from Mustang, but they end up in this little town that is preparing for a festival. They almost get blown up by fireworks that were set of by a troubled punk girl named Claus. As they go along, they go to the graveyard and see a zombie, who Claus tells them is the dead girl who killed her sister. Claus can't let matters rest, so she takes it into her own hands to take revenge. Oh yes! Ed and Al were looking for Majahal, and alchemist who knew their father. Anyway, Majahal tells them that the "zombie" was supposed to be Karin, a beautiful woman who lived in the village long ago. She was renowned for her rare blue roses, which she wore in her hair. But one day on the way into the city, Karin fell to her death on the mountain. Though Majahal in convinced that Karin couldn't hurt anyone, in life or death. Blah, blah, blah, Ed and Al snoop around... While they are investigating Majahal's mansion, Ed hears a strange noise, and Majahal's assisstant shows up. She is an elderly woman, but she quickly takes both brothers out. Majahal shows up, and reveals that he and Karin were lovers years before when she was alive. Now he had been spending his time tampering with human transmutations. However, he needed a spirit. Claus's sister. Now he has Claus, and is attempting to kill her as well. Then Ed sees Majahal's assisstant's hood fall off. Underneath, a blue rose. Then she confesses that she is Karin, who never died. Majahal refuses to believe it, and Ed accidently stabs him.
  • Its decent, but doesn't contribute much to the series.

Out of season one, this is probably one of my least favorite episodes. Don't get me wrong, its still decent! Its more of a filler episode.

Unlike other episodes so far, it doesn't really contribute much to the series. It doesn't build any ideas or anything that might be used later on, its just a situation that Ed and Al ran into on their way to Central. Thankfully though, it wasn't brainless writing where a bunch of random stuff happened like in some filler episodes. The writing in this helps the viewer understand a little bit more about the whole "Humunculi" concept in the show, like showing how one is made and a bit more about them in general.

There was some great humor in this episode too! I love the part where Ed and Al fall into the wrong trap at the graveyard, it looks hilarious! And "Pipsqueak!?" XD

Its a decent episode, not as great as others in this show, but still worth watching.
  • Its decent, but kind of throws the viewer off track from the last three.

• After burning down their home, the brothers head for Central but not before they meet Majhal, a friend of their missing father. However, there are ghosts about and something involving Majhal's dead girlfriend. "Episode 4: A Forger's Love -

The second flashback episode, Episode 4 is mostly a filler episode, but does feature Lust in a cameo - that makes it great. Ed and Al have burnt their house down, leapt on a train and are heading for Central without leaving Winry a note. On the way, they encounter grizzly-haired Majhal (his name is hard to spell) who is the local Ghostbuster, removing the recurring appearance of the ghost of Karin, a weird woman who liked flowers. It is later revealed that Karin was Majhal's girlfriend, and he has been creating living dummies with alchemy to try and revive her. In the end, it is revealed his work was pointless as Karin never died, but just died and has been following him around dressed in a cloak. Majhal is that dense. Although this episode has a good plotline, it feels slightly hollow at some points. For an odd reason, I always laugh at Majhal when he gets owned by the sword. Maybe its just the way it happens. The best part is when the "pipsqueak-trashcan-paperboy" fight breaks out between Ed, Al and Claus.
  • It just didn't seem right. Don't get me wrong, it was still a decent episode.

Ed and Al just didn't seem themselves in this episode. The plot was a little out of character too. (Was this a filler? I don't ever remember reading it in the manga.) But it was decent I guess. Ed and Al meet an old friend of their dad while on their way to Central to become state alchemists. Unfortunately, the guy's pyscho, (trying to bring his not-so-dead wife back to life) and is no help to the boys in their search to return to their original bodies. The story was really confusing at first, but as the episode wound down, it became clearer. So all in all, this episode, although not my favorite, was alright.
  • This episode of Fullmetal was a good one, that stands alone. As Ed and Al travel to Central, they stop to see a friend of their fathers.

This episode was entertaining, but it was a little predictable. When Ed and Al meet Majhal, a friend of their fathers, they uncover the mans story, and learn a few things about where they are, and abut who they meet. Also in this episode Ed kills someone for the first time in his life, even though it was an accident. It was a good episode, but it was more of a filler than anything else.
  • I have to say the ending was my favorite part!

I really liked this episode because of the ending of it. I know it sounds odd, but it's true! The storyline was really good, and I felt bad for Karin.
    I can imagine this as a movie in a theatre. When Klose came dressed like a girl, I thought she looked adorable. And when Ed said, "You look better that way!" I noticed the tears in Klose's eyes. And, the ending theme matched really well. It made me feel good...I could imagine an audience clapping if this was a movie.
  • Although, if this is the worst FullMetal Alchemist ever got, then it's yet another testament to its greatness. So it's not all bad.

2.5
    Only four episodes in, and FullMetal Alchemist spews out a disappointment. The episode's not a total waste, but the storyline is more pathetic than compelling. Some nice character moments save it from being a complete loser, though.

This is pretty much a filler episode, and a poor one at that. In fact, I can't think of a good reason why Al would tell Rose about these events. It's more of a "this one time, on the way to Central, this strange thing happened" kind of story than one that would explain where they come from. Yes, Majihal crossed the line, but um, Ed and Al already did, so what did this episode teach them? Nothing as far as I'm concerned.

The series does try to make this story significant, by mentioning that Majihal wrote to Hohenheim, with Lust's one-line cameo, and even a later reference to events in this episode, but I'm not buying it. Majihal was an idiot, and ridiculously shallow. I mean, Karin's been missing for some 20 years, so of course she's going to look older. Duh! Even if you give her stupid points for having amnesia, that Karin would still hold a flame for a guy who was that cruel to her makes her an idiot. Needless to say, I'd rank those two among the most unsympathetic characters on the show.

There are positives however, and they rescue this show from disaster. First of all there's Claus, the androgynous girl (but there's a good reason she dresses like this) the Elrics run into. Not only is she somewhat interesting, but she gets one of the best insults on Ed and Al in the whole series. Ed says she looks "like a paperboy" and she calls them "a cowardly pipsqueak" and a "walking trashcan." That she would be the girl in jeopardy in the final confrontation is terribly predictable.

The climactic scene tries to be tragic, but doesn't really work largely because Majihal comes across as foolish, not insane or destroyed. The idea that Ed would feel guilty about what transpires is stupid also, because his actions were 100% justified, and the end result was accidental. I do like the final scene, which manages to maintain the jibing between the Elrics and Claus, as well as demonstrate her gratitude. Unfortunately, this is her last appearance.

Nothing that happens in this episode has significant long-term consequences, and one can't shake the feeling that it's all much ado about nothing. The scenes with Ed, Al, and Claus redeem it slightly, but not enough.
  • OMG...A review from an Artist.

Ed and Al are traveling to Central City to become state alchemist. They hear of a man named Majihal living in a town near them. Ed remembers that Majihal has written their dad letters. Ed and Al have decided to go and learn more about him by talking to him. When they arrive they see some kids doing fire works for a festival. One of the girls named Claus is dress like a paper boy. Her sister died and she belives a ghost did it. Majihal is seeming very odd and it seems that the ghosts don't scare him. But the ghost is of a girl who died long ago. This is my masterpeice.
  • Ed and Al burn their house and leave to Central City. On their way there, they encounter a man who had stolen a purse from a woman. Ed and Al stop them and meet a man named Majhal. He had lost his woman during a cliff accident. She didn't really die.

Karin never really died in that car crash. Karin had just lost her memory and for twenty years had been in hiding. Now she had remembered and went searching for him. She had been the only person to be able to grow blue roses. In the end Majhal dies and he still doesn't believe Libi is Karin and Claus finally dresses like a girl. ^-^
  • Was pretty good but not good enough.

7.3
    Ed and Al are going to visit the alchemist Majihal because he is rumored to be researching the philosophers stone. On their way to visit him they get near a launching site of fireworcks and a girl is yelling at Ed. The girl named Claus is trying to get Ed and Al to help her get her revenfe from a mysterious flower girl. She always asked Majihal but he always refused to help her so she is going to trap the girl herself. Ed and Al get caught in the trap instead and Claus thinks she caught the flower girl. Near the cemetery there is a floating figure but then Majihal destroys it with his alchemy. Meanwhile back at the house Ed stumbles into Majihals study room were he say alot of puppets there hanging. Then Majihal appeared all scary looking and he explained he used the souls of village girls to bring alive these evil puppets and he wanted Eds talents to create a Spirit attachment so the pupppets won't run away. Then a woman comes and tries to stop Majihal but she can't. Majihal transmutes a sword and Ed had to think fast so he had to grab the rose on the womans head and transmuted a rose whip to deflect the sword into Majihals stomach. Ed realizes thats the girl Majihal had loved but he doesn't want to admit it. They finally leave town and they finally see Claus dressed like a real girl instead of a paper boy. The paper boy costume for Claus I didnt really like. At first I thought that she was a boy then when they said that he was a she I was surprised. When Majihal say the woman he didn't think she was her.Majihal wake up! It's been a long time since you saw her so she must be old. A decent episode this was.
  • This is one of my favourite episodes.

This ep is great! it has suspence/mystery, and it has some really funny parts!

On their way to central, ed and al decide to take a short detour to a village nearby that an alchemist lives. The alchemist was a friend of their father's so they wanted to talk to him. While there, they learn that an "evil" women has come back to life and is attacking the villagers. as soon as they heard "come back to life" they were suspicious. The dont come back to life...unless someone was performing human transmutation. It's really exciting to try and figure it out what could be going on. and i had my faec plastered to the screen when ed and al were sneakin around the guys house. omg i was so scared!

This is the first episode i ever watched, and i loved it right away! why does it have such a low rating?
  • An Underrated Episode

I think this episode deserves a bit more credit than it gets. Yes, it is a filler episode, but it also sets a moral boundary for Ed and Al: Majihal\'s use of his alchemic talent for selfish purposes contrasts sharply with the Elrics\' ideals, and combined with their tragic attempt at human alchemy makes sure that they won\'t stray that far over the line. It also affirms the powerful theme of self-sacrifice when Ed and Al risk their lives to save Claus. Additionally, the bittersweet ending involving Majihal and Karin shows strongly for the first time that not only is alchemy not a remedy for the deepest tragedies of life, it can even fail to cure small hurts, and may even make things worse. It\'s a filler episode, but an important one nonetheless.
  • ed and al are on there way to central when they heard about a person name majhal who lives in the next town over ed and al wanted to vist him becuse in there dad's letter's majhal name keept showing up in the leters.

i realy liked this episode becuse ed and al find outher ways to use alchemy how they save the town.the animation was done wright story line was good the grapics was ecilent the voice overs was done grate in my opinpon this is a episode worth watching again highly recomeded.

• Well....It was OK I guess.

5.6
    Well the title says it all this is not my favorite storyline!but I still give the creator credit because the manga only had 3 volumes out and its kinda hard to follow the story.But alas,I am a mad FMA fan and I must do my duty and write a review for the unsuspecting viewers.In my final words I say,"I recomend this Episode to someone who likes filler episodes."