Fullmetal Alchemist Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2006)

Poll: Orignial FMA vs. 'Brotherhood'

Which do you prefere: original 'Fullmetal Alchemist' or 'FMA: Brotherhood'?

SaphireMoon

[1]Jun 28, 2010
    • level: 33
    Since 'FMA: Brotherhood' has been running in on AdultSwim for a while now, I thought it would be interesting for people's opinions on the two series. Again, the new 'FMA: Brotherhood' is a reboot of the original Fullmetal Alchemist series. They have the same characters, but the storylines goes on different paths. You may not need to see the original Fullmetal Alchemist, but it helps during the beginning of the series.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BTRAV

[2]Jun 30, 2010
    • level: 27
    They are both different but awesome.

SaphireMoon

[3]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 33
    Yes, I agree; they are both different but in good ways. With the introduction of the characters from the manga, the story in 'Brotherhood' has become something of its own.

hueyf

[4]Jul 2, 2010
    • level: 6

I like both of the series both i like brotherhood better because it introduces new characters and takes a different route than what FMA took

FireLordZuko93

[5]Jul 3, 2010
    • level: 12
    I watched the orginal FMA first...and then absolutly fell in love with it..so it will always have a place in my heart XD there was so much emtion and stuff that i think brotherhood doesnt quite compare to

however...ever since reading the manga i loveeeee the brotherhood plotline XD so theyre both awesome

lilredhalo

[6]Jul 8, 2010
    • level: 1

im knew to the whole fm cartoons and seen a few episodes on adultswim which led me to search all the episodes on youtube. i guess i started with the original episodes cuz i found the brotherhood episodes and i didnt understand why the videos were differnt. i thought i missed episodes or the episodes werent completeon youtube. i think im more partial to the fmabut i wont watch all the brotherhood ep till im done with fma though.

skeen101

[7]Jul 29, 2010

both series were fantastic in their own right.

FMA:

FMA was detailed and I felt the characters had depth. The soundtracks and emotions were good.

In my opinion Ed and Al came across as the main characters and all the plots centred around them at some point. Other characters were introduced and had sufficient screen time and storyline detail to make them feel part of the whole story. Mustang, the homunculi, scar etc each had their own story telling and build up.

The action, the storyline were all done very well. However, I was not too keen on the ending associating it with war in a parallel world. The film was good but I felt the storyline was heading in a direction totally different to how it started.

FMA Brotherhood:

Since FMA was one of my fav animes, I was a little sceptical with news of a remake. It started a little slow and it was a little difficult to engage with the characters. For example, Hughes just 'you know what' and there was little emotion and build up to it, comparatively, FMA's hughes was established and very sad when 'you know what' happened. But has I watched more and more episodes, Got into the story and engaged with the characters more. In FMA Brotherhood, Ed and AL did not come across as the main characters; other characters had large screen time - it was pretty much shared between many characters.

I much preferred the ending of FMA brotherhood; it felt closer to how the story started and continued throughout.

The soundtrack and detail were as good as if not better than FMA.

All in all I was pleased with both series and content with how FMA Brotherhood was produced.

TimothyBurley

[8]Aug 19, 2010
    • level: 7

they r both really good animes, but the orignial one i like more then brotherhood.

Zwingli4

[9]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 16

Oh man, I just finished watching the original series--it took me 4 months. And now they got a reboot out? Aughhhh!Yell

BTRAV

[10]Sep 21, 2010
    • level: 27
    If you're watching the dub, they're only 26 episodes into that.

HihioListern

[11]Oct 4, 2010
    • level: 2

SaphireMoon wrote:
    Yes, I agree; they are both different but in good ways. With the introduction of the characters from the manga, the story in 'Brotherhood' has become something of its own.
    Definitely agree with that! But FMA will always be the best to me, it was one of the first anime I watched and when I finished watching it I just couldn't believe it! I've seen little of Brotherhood but I know how it's different and awesome all the same.

Cnutty

[12]Dec 14, 2010

I never liked anime until late '09 when my friend introduced me to Soul Eater (Cant compare to FMA tho), so I never really saw the first FMA series. O've

Cnutty

[13]Dec 14, 2010

Never watched the first series cause I got into Anime late '09, but I know for sure FMA was a bit premature compared to Brotherhood- not in a negative way, in an observant kind of way |D

So pretty much I enjoy both, but Brotherhood's at tops right now, even if I thought Ep. 26 would continue on the first time I spotted brotherhood this summer so I got lost after I saw ep. 20-26 again xDD;;

neoyamato_pi

[14]Dec 15, 2010
    • level: 26

I liked both in their own way. The original was much darker and had excellent character development. I didn't exactly like the ending, but it complimented the dark/serious tone of the show. Brotherhood was awesome. I just think that the reason why the first episodes, which shared the same storyline with the original, wasn't built up as much was because the writers assume that people also have watched the original and wanted to quickly jump into the new stuff. And the plethora of character and character involvement definitely was a plus for the show. The ending was much lighter and happier, while still matching the tone of the show. It was happier but what can I say, I like happy endings.