Funky Phantom

ABC (ended 1972)

mrdivot

Funky Phantom Fan Reviews (2)

6.7
  • I've never seen this show before.

5.8
    This show was basically remade.

I have seen a show like this before. Danny Phantom, for example. He's a ghost-fighting superhero. I've never seen this show in particular, but I wonder if it's any good. I'm not sure about this.

Oh, the other thing is: why doesn't it play anymore? Was it that bad? Did anyone ever watch it at all and that's why it was cancelled? Danny Phantom is a pretty good show, so they cancelled that because it wasn't time for it to go. The show is and was good! Can this show be any better! I just don't get the deal.
  • A Scooby-Doo clone with a twist--the hero is a ghost.

The Funky Phantom was one of only three shows Hanna-Barbera did in the 1971 season and is of note as being the first show Hanna-Barbera farmed out animation work. It was done at Sydney, Australia's Air Programs International (which would later become H-B's Australian studio). Having a ghost that talks like Snagglepuss as the hero is a curious conceit, but even as such, the resemblance to Scooby Doo is all too evident. The comic sparks supposedly to be shot off at the rivalry between Skip and Augie over April (one of H-B's real cuties) don't really ignite as they do sputter, with any comedy being furnished by the animals, Elmo and Boo. Animation-wise, it's erratic and flat, backgrounds lacking the rich nuances of the ones used on Scooby during that show's first season run. It's not a complete flop, but nothing worth remembering.