Futurama

A Fishful of Dollars

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Apr 27, 1999 on Comedy Central

• Good episode.

After going to the bank, Fry realizes that he's a billionare, due to all of the years of interest. He starts splurging like crazy, on himself, and his friends. When buying a pizza for everybody, he asks for anchovies, but nobody knows what anchovies are. It turns out, they are now extinct, and there is only one can of them still on Earth. Mom, wants it, knowing how much it's worth, so she uses her robots, and Pamela Anderson's head to get it back.

This was a great episode. I loved all of the advertisments in dreams, and I loved Fry saying " In the past, we only had ads on Tv, on billboards, online, on the radio, and in magazines. But never in our dreams."

Overall Grade: 85%/B+
  • defining episodes

if i were to show a friend an episode of futurama, or rather if i showed a friend 3-4 episodes, this would definitely be one of them. it has a lot of hilarious references and parodies, an original plot, and it is a hilarious episode as a whole. really, it's one of my personal favorites, it is such a good episode. my overall grade for this episode, without a doubt, is an A+, because in my humble opinion, anything below is a crime {just kidding of course i just really like this episode}. A defining episode of the show Futurama
  • This review brought to you by Lightspeed Briefs! (tee hee)

Fry realises his wealth when his ATM shows that he has over $4 billion from 93 cents, 2.25% interest over a period of 1000 years. He spends it willingly at the spa, buying pictures (for shooting) and a large pizza dinner. Soon he buys a can of anchovies, in competition of Mom, for 1 jillion dollars, and then 50 million dollars to the reason that a jillion isn't a real number. Mom tries to get Fry's pin number so they can take his money by using a very pathetic 'dream sequence' which actaully works, and instead of selling the anchovies, uses it as a pizza topping for his colleagues to share. Another funny Futurama episode, and well-written of course. Definitely a one for the golden episode seekers...
  • great episode

Here is my review for the Futurama episode "A Fishful of Dollars". It's a good episode with a lot of money involved. I like the opening for this episode very much. It opens up with Fry trying to sleep, but the sound of springs from next door keeps him awake. We all assume that it is the sound of a couple making out on a bed; but as it would turn out, it was actually the sound of two robots with springy bodies playing poker (I even like the way Fry shouts out "Give it a rest, you two!" at them). Anyway, about the episode, Fry learns that his bank account had quadroupled while he was frozen for a thousand years. He also learns that his favorite pizza topping, anchovies, were extinct because of them being fished to death by Dr. Zoidbergs' race. Luckily, with some of his money, he buys the last remaining can in existence at an auctioning meet. Mom, a powerful yet old business owner, is after the anchovies because she learns about anchovy DNA being extracted can be used as a special type of robot oil. She has her three sons trick Fry into giving them his account number and causing him to be bankrupt. Mom then shows up to Fry to ask how much he wants to pay for the anchovies, but Fry refuses and tells her that he is going to use the anchovies to put on a pizza and "share the food he loves with the people he likes". A really good episode to watch.
  • Fry is rich and buys the last known can of anchovies.

The episode begins with Fry having a dream and suddenly his dream turns into a commercial. He talks about it with everyone at work the next morning and they decide to go shopping. Bender gets caught, quite comically I might add, trying to steal robot oil in the store. Fry volunteers to try and get some money to bail Bender out of jail. He goes to the bank to withdraw the small amount he remembered putting in. It turns out that that small amount over the years has turned into a extremely large amount of money. Fry goes crazy with the money....
  • A future without anchovies. Perfect!

This is another great episode of Futurama. Why is it great? Because I love to see when Fry turns into a complete jerk and starts to mistreat all the people around him. Well actually all the characters go through this phase some way or the other. This is a social commentary on how money can be for the worse if you are not a mature person. The underground New York city is my favorite part of this episode maybe because it is probably the only thint that you can relate to in this show. Reminds me of my own times.

Good laughs, good episode!
  • An episode that had a stupid plot from my point of view.

After having their dreams taken over by an advertisement, the Planet Express crew takes a trip to the local shopping mall. Trying to buy the product in his dreams, Fry realizes he is broke. At the same time, Bender is caught shoplifting and sent to jail. Unable to pay the bail, Fry remembers he had a bank account back in the twentieth century. Surprisingly his old bank account is still active, and has been accruing interest for the past thousand years, bringing the balance from 93 cents to $4.3 billion. Fry goes on a massive spending spree, buying numerous 20th century artifacts, such as Ted Danson's skeleton, an antique robot toy, and the last known tin of now-extinct anchovies, which were fished to extinction shortly after the Decapodian people arrived on Earth.

Mom, famous industrialist and owner of Mom's Old-Fashioned Robot Oil, wants to secure the anchovies for her own purposes. Anchovy oil could be used to permanently lubricate robots, and therefore represent an enormous threat to Mom's business interests if the remaining anchovies were cloned.

Mom's sons Walt, Larry, and Ignar conspire with the head of Pamela Anderson to steal Fry's ATM card and PIN, by tranquilizing him and making him wake up in an environment similar to the 20th century. They get Pamela Anderson to order a cheese pizza and a large soda, which the price ($10.77) is Fry's PIN, which they use to bankrupt Fry. All of Fry's 20th century artifacts are repossessed, except the anchovies, which Fry had hidden in his sock.

After Mom discovers Fry intends to eat the anchovies, she stops interfering. Fry covers a pizza with the anchovies, and shares them with the rest of the Planet Express employees. Everyone except Fry spits their pizza out in disgust. Fry claims that they are an acquired taste. When Dr. Zoidberg enters the room, he smells a 'heavenly stench' and immediately devours all the remaining anchovy-covered pizza, and goes on a rampage screaming "MORE! MORE! MORE!!"
  • Good, Good and Better!

7.6
    A good episode, it introduces one of my all time favourite characters-of course I am talking about Robot Number 34, who was, jkZ! I am talking about mom and it has one of my all time favourite moments or scenes in the series, the whole thing where Mom's sons steal the anchovies from Fry-I Rolled on the floor laughing my a*( off!

Another good moment was Zoidberg get back on the Anchovies and the ending where we Zoidberg Irus Out, Bloody Good Times.

This is in my top 15 episodes and should be more well known.

Futurama does it again!!!! - captaindillo .
  • In the future, anchovies might become extinct...

• Fry disovers he is a billionaire

Fry discovers that he is a billionaire after accessing his old bank account and with interest over a 1000 years has accumulated him this huge sum.

Fry uses his wealth buying himself relics from the 20th century, he is particularly excited about an unopened can of anchovies which has been extinct several centuries.

Fry is determined to buy the anchovies with price not a deterrent. He outbids Mom who is also trying to obtain the priceless can. Mom assumes that Fry knows the secret about the anchovies and that they can be used to make cheap robot oil so she sets about to destroy him, not realising that he just plans to put them on a pizza.
  • Anchovies...extinct in 2300?

"A thousand years is a long time to save up money, and Fry's savings account has been racking up interest. When Fry discovers just how much - over 4 billion dollars - Fry goes a little overboard. After completely redecorating the apartment, splurging on expensive spa days and treating his friends to innumerable luxuries, Fry discovers the ultimate expense. Anchovies. This rare delicacy as been extinct for years, and Fry must battle the evil conglomerate known as Mom, plus Pamela Anderson Lee's head in a jar, to get them!"

Fry spends all his money on stinky anchovies. What luck. I would've just bought stuff from online bidding sites. ^_^
  • Extremely distinguished plot.

I was surprised at how complex the storyline behind this was. Instead of some cheap funny episode about a package delivery gone bad, this definitely showed us a new side of Futurama. We saw who Mom is, and what she'd do to get her hands on money. My only problem with this one is that I don't want Futurama to go into The Simpsons where every freakin' episode is about taxes and the cash budget. That's my only regret. Funny, inspirational, good storyline. What did it lack that gave me an 8.6 you ask? Not the best character outline, that's what.
  • Introduction of Mom

Much like Mr Burns of the Simpsons, Mom is the rich, evil owner of a large company, Mom's Friendly Robot Oil. Most Mom episodes are classic ones, and this is no exception as it introduces her evil side by actually bankrupting Fry. Zoidberg's people causing the extinction of anchovies, Fry buying everything at the auction and the advertisements put into people's dreams (unlike the 20th century where ads are only on TV and radio. And in magazines. And movies. And at ball games and on buses and milk cartons and t-shirts and written on the sky) were all great scenes. Fry's descent into madness as he sinks back into the 20th century lifestyle is truly tremendous and this makes the episode what it is.
  • a very good episode i liked it very much 1 of my favuorits

this is the 6th episode so futurama is still evolving the charaters and it s personal sense of humour but i belive it will become the best of all tv shows there are very funny seeing fry go from poor pathetic loser to rich argont jerk is very good idea no one has ever done something like this it was very orignal fine piece of work i have never seen something this good i hope the series stays as good but it would be great if it got better not that it needs to but why is mum evil really why well rich people uaslly are evil
  • Mom's 1st episode

Fry becomes rich after he discovers the interest in his bank account after 1000 years! Obviously he splashes out and buys a lot of stuff.

Because he misses the past so much he buys a lot of stuff from the 20th Century including the only suviving anchovies after Zoidberg's people ate them all hundreds of years ago.

Enter Mom! She comes across as a sweet old lady but really she\'s evil and twisted.

At this stage Futurama was intrducing new excellent characters like Mom and her boys who had reoccuring roles.

Also the appearance of Pamela Anderson's head and head she won an Award for her role in a a Baywatch movie made entirely in slow motion was a highlight.

The 1st season is probably my favourite and this is another great installment.