Futurama

A Tale of Two Santas

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Dec 23, 2001 on Comedy Central

• Christmas Review #44

In this Xmas episode, Santa is not as we know him. In the future, Santa is not the bearer of gifts, but an evil robot, intent on bringing terror to the holiday. Unfortunately, the crew has the mission of delivering Santa's mail on Xmas eve. As the people on Earth lie in wait for Santa to arrive, the crew accidentally freezes Santa. This brings the opportunity for Fry to bring his "antiquated" notion of Christmas to the 21st century. To Bender falls the unenviable task of replacing Santa and discovering the wrath of yuletide cheer, until Santa returns and makes Bender his partner in Xmas crime. I thought that this was an excellent Christmas (X-Mas) episode of "Futurama". While this second Christmas episode wasn't as good as the first Christmas episode "X-Mas Story:", I still really liked it. I still think the robotic Santa Claus is pure genius and I'm glad he returned. I also enjoyed the introduction of Kwanzabot. The thing that did make my score a tiny bit was that a few parts did drag a little and a got a little boring. The parts that did make me laugh was Zoidberg dressed up as Jesus Christ, the very ending of the episode, Bender trying to deliver presents to family and that family thinking he is evil, and more. I also loved how Fry brought up that fear is bringing everyone together. Overall, an excellent Christmas (X-Mas) episode of "Futurama but it's not as good as the original Christmas episode "X-Mas Story". 9.5/10
  • The second Xmas episode.

A wonderful episode that caused a fair amount of controversy. What people need to realize that not every cartoon on television is for children to watch. Adults need cartoons too, people. And, this isn't Santa, it's a robot who thinks that he is Santa. Those are two totally different things. Overall, a very entertaining episode that will definitely get you in the holiday spirit. You'll love the song that the elves sing!

Fry, Bender, and Leela have to make a delivery to Neptune... home of the horrible, murderous, diabolical, Robot Santa! What will happen? Will it affect Xmas forever? Of course it will! To make a long story short, Bender becomes Santa Claus!
  • hillarious episode

This episode is a brilliant example of everything I watched Futurama for. From their skewering of not only Christmas, but other holidays ("What the Hell is Kwanza?", anyone?), to Bender's screwy dialogue, to the Robot Devil's cameo and the nutty courtroom scene, this is the sort of episode that keeps me laughing from the first frame to the last.

Futurama's Christmas is so bizarre, so utterly removed from our own that watching these episodes is barely like watching a Christmas episode at all. And as much as I love Christmas and everything that comes along with it, I can't help but smile at the insanity that Groening and company managed to whip up.
  • Simply a hilarious episode that is a must see!!!

• Bender plays Santa.

In this episode we se the return of the Robot Santa. The Planet Express crew are sent tp deliver mail to the Robot Santa's death fortress.

While fleeing from Robot Santa the crew accidentally freeze him in ice and Fry seizes the opportunity to bring back Christmas as it was in the 20th Century. They re-open the factories and Bender is sent to make the delievries.

Each time Bender delivers a present he is attacked by the inhabitants of each house believing him to mean them harm.

Robot Santa escapes because the toy factory increased the temerature and all returns to normal by the end of the episode.
  • Introduction of Kwanzabot

The letters to Santa were a hilarious way to start this christmas, er, Xmas episode with the little girl asking for a coffin for her grandfather whom santa killed last Xmas. Just like in my other Xmas review, here are my favourite Santa quotes:
    "Bender, won't you join my slaying tonight?"
    "Oh, it might appear empty but the message is clear...play Santa again and I'll kill you next year!"
    "Let's see who's been naughty...and who's been naughty. Mobsters beating up a shopkeeper for protection money! Very naughty. Shopkeepers not paying their protection money - exactly as naughty!"

Bender as Santa was great, even Farnsworth torturing the robot that was trying to do good. The elves song was hilarious but not as good as "Santa Claus is gunning you down" from the first Xmas episode. Overall, this episode is perfect, especially the others pretending to be Santa (Zoidberg: And I'm their friend Jesus)
  • What a twist on the holidays...

CW