Futurama

A Tale of Two Santas

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Dec 23, 2001 on Comedy Central

• Christmas Review #44

In this Xmas episode, Santa is not as we know him. In the future, Santa is not the bearer of gifts, but an evil robot, intent on bringing terror to the holiday. Unfortunately, the crew has the mission of delivering Santa's mail on Xmas eve. As the people on Earth lie in wait for Santa to arrive, the crew accidentally freezes Santa. This brings the opportunity for Fry to bring his "antiquated" notion of Christmas to the 21st century. To Bender falls the unenviable task of replacing Santa and discovering the wrath of yuletide cheer, until Santa returns and makes Bender his partner in Xmas crime. I thought that this was an excellent Christmas (X-Mas) episode of "Futurama". While this second Christmas episode wasn't as good as the first Christmas episode "X-Mas Story:", I still really liked it. I still think the robotic Santa Claus is pure genius and I'm glad he returned. I also enjoyed the introduction of Kwanzabot. The thing that did make my score a tiny bit was that a few parts did drag a little and a got a little boring. The parts that did make me laugh was Zoidberg dressed up as Jesus Christ, the very ending of the episode, Bender trying to deliver presents to family and that family thinking he is evil, and more. I also loved how Fry brought up that fear is bringing everyone together. Overall, an excellent Christmas (X-Mas) episode of "Futurama but it's not as good as the original Christmas episode "X-Mas Story". 9.5/10
CW