Futurama

Anthology of Interest 2

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jan 06, 2002 on Comedy Central

• Captain Fry the Gamemaster

This second anthology is just as good as the first. My only real problem was really the third tale "The Wizard of Oz" I didn't think it was as funny. I don't know, it just feels like it's missing a sense of zip in it's dialog but most of all just an adventurous quality.

But down to my evaluation of the two tales. Bender's tale I thought was good, it was just great seeing Bender as a human (even though I imagined he's look like Homer Simpson but oh well) and just how he acts and reacts toward it. The TV show "Red Dwarf" did the same thing with the Kryton character one time, only this is funnier because Bender does more. In a way it's pritty much crude humor taken to a new high as we see Bender just over indulging in everything he usually does in his former robot form drugs, sex, clubing, and food as much as Bluto in the cafeteria scene in "Animal House". The story kinda has a double message as Bender states the importance of living life with joy but also just to simply not overindulge that way you can continue to enjoy life. The ending is kinda bittersweet because Bender dies but at least he died happy (I said bittersweet).

Of course my favorate one is "Raders of the Lost Arcade" this story was one I could only dream would ever be made and thankfully it was a dream finally come true. It's almost similar to "The Biship of Battle" story in the horror movie "Nightmares" which was about Emilo Estevez's character battling video game baddies in the real world. This epsiode is more visual humor than verbal and it's just hillarous and fun just like the video games I've played. I don't want to give too much away but this episode has so many reference jokes to video games from the 80's decade, my favorate one was on Pac Man I really loved the voice actor that played him and how he was aways doing the waka waka noise every time he moved, it's funny because it's true. Even seeing Pac Man and the rest run thought the escape tunnels which is the grid maze of the game and then are tired afterward. Or even when Pac Man died he actually did that noise and then Ms. Pac Man shows up and cries and also does the waka noise, it was both funny and a little sad; though it's a little strange because if it's a world of video games then wouldn't Pac Man come back but I guess Pac Man ran out of lives so oh well. And we see that scene when the invaders come out and it consists of cameo's from other video games like the fried egg from "Burgertime", a robot sprite and the walking brainhead from "Robotron", and Q-Bert who once again expresses profanity in a weard language. Comic Gold.

• 1st segment - Gross! 2nd - OK 3rd - Amazing

I, Meatbag:
    Ugh,this one was so gross. I cringe by even reminding myself about it. 2/5

Raiders of the lost arcade:
    This segment was way better, especially the labyrinth part ("Oh my God! He ate Fry! Fry is dead!"). Not the best one, but still has its moments,it was interesting thing to see Nixon's head again. I still wonder how did Pacman's widow appeared there. :)
    Overall,4/5

-Whatever it's name is- segment:
    My favorite segment and best Wizard of oz parody I've ever seen. Also, upper right corner of Farnsworth's dollar bill says "Toxic ink". :)
    Rating:5/5,If the third segment of first AoI episode never existed, this one would probably be my favorite.
  • Another classic!

Another wondeful Season Four (well, production wise, Season Three) classic. It was absolutely WONDERFUL (Dr. Zoidberg pun completely intended, thank you very much *bows*)! Very funny, and it kept me entertained for the entire time. It was a very entertaining episode, just as good (if not just a little, LITTLE, tiny teenie weenie microscopic, just barely visible, smidge, bit better). The only problem was, since Fry, Bender, and Leela had used the 'What-If' Machine in Anthology of Interest I, I had hoped that in Anthology of Interest II, it would be time for Amy, Hermes, and Dr. Zoidberg to take a swing at it.
  • hilarious episode

The first two mini plots in this episode are outstanding! The first one involves Bender bcoming a human. He does his normal habits. He drinks and hangs out with the ladies. But he then discovers eating, something he couldn't do as a robot. He gains a tremendous amount of weight and when he is brought to the Proffersor's award ceremony, people think that this robot turned human is disgusting. But I won't spoil the hilarious ending of this mini plot for you. The second involves the world being a video game. Q-Bert, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Mario and Space Invaders are all here. I didn't really like the third mini story, a parody of The Wizard of Oz, but the first two are so good they make up for the third. Check out this episode, you won't be dissapointed!
  • My favorite episode from the whole series!!!

Professor Farnsworth hauls out his What-If Machine again, claiming that he's finished "fine-tuning" it, and the crew takes a look at three alternate realities.

[edit] I, Meatbag
    Bender asks what would happen if he were human. The simulation opens with Professor Farnsworth announcing that he has invented a process of reverse fossilization, which can turn robots into organic life-forms. He uses his reverse fossilization machine on Bender, who is transformed into a human.

After a short period of adaptation, Bender's self-control is overwhelmed by his new senses of taste, touch and emotional responses, and goes on a sensory input binge. A week later, at the Nobel Prize judging, the Professor presents Bender who has become a thousand-pound blob. The committee initially condemns Farnsworth, but Bender begs them to consider his new lifestyle. The open-minded scientists spend the night in a state of wild hedonism. Just before dawn, the committee awards Bender with the Nobel Prize in Chemistry but discover that Bender died shortly after the party started with a cholesterol level of 40 pounds.

[edit] Raiders of the Lost Arcade
    Fry ask to see a world that is more like a video game. As the simulation starts, President of Earth Richard Nixon is preparing to sign a treaty with Ambassador Kong of planet Nintendu 64. Ambassador Kong attacks Nixon, and a state of war erupts.

Due to his extensive knowledge of video games, Fry is brought to the Milatari headquarters and introduced to General Colin Pac-Man. Before Fry can impart his wisdom to the military, the Nintendians launch an attack on Washington, DC, and they are forced into the escape tunnels. They emerge outside the Planet Express building, where the Nintendian invaders, led by Lrrr, are blasting New New York. Fry situates himself at the controls of a rolling Anti-aircraft artillery platform, and begins destroying the alien ships in a manner similar to Space Invaders. Fry is unable to destroy the final ship, which lands nearby and the invaders emerge. They demand millions of dollars in quarters with which to do their laundry, but the Earthlings refuse. A compromise is reached, with the Nintendians throwing their laundry in with Earth's.

[edit] Wizzin'
    The last person to ask a what if question is Leela, who wants to see her true home. When the Professor pulls the lever on the What-if Machine, he hits her on the head, and she falls to the floor unconscious.

She wakes up at the helm of the Planet Express Ship, which is caught in a tornado. It crash-lands in a technicolor wonderland. The Cute Witch of the North (Amy) tells her that she should seek out the Professor, who lives in the Emerald Laboratory down Martin Luther King Boulevard, which is constructed from yellow brick.

While traveling, she meets a scarecrow (Fry), a mechanical man (Bender) and "the other guy" (Zoidberg). The Wicked Witch (Mom) sends her winged monkeys (Walt, Larry, and Ignar) to kidnap Leela and her friends. The Wicked Witch always wanted a daughter, and offers to take Leela in. Leela accepts, and as part of a celebration, Bender uncorks a bottle of champagne. Under tremendous pressure, the champagne shoots out of the bottle and lands on the Wicked Witch, causing her to melt.

Leela and company make their way to the Emerald Laboratory and meet the Professor. He tells Leela that she can go home by clicking her ruby boots together and wishing to go home. She says: "There's no place like... I wanna be a witch!" She then dons witch clothes and turns the Professor, the scarecrow, and the robot into frogs. Her reign of terror is cut short by Zoidberg, who has encountered a problem with the Emerald Laboratory's upstairs toilet, and accidentally splashes water on her.

As she melts in the dream world, she wakes up back in the Planet Express building just before the professor has an opportunity to dissect her.
  • The second appearance of the 'What If' machine.

This is the second installment involving the Professors what if machine. This time around Bender asks the question what if he was human. Bender lives life to the extreme in only a way that he could, quickly bloating in size to epic proportions.

Fry asks what if life was more like a video game. We get to see cameo apppearances like Donkey Kong and Pacman and many other retro games as they battle to gain the coins from our pockets.

Leela asks what if she found her true home and we get to see an awesome parody of the Wizard of Oz. Zoidberg as the Lion steals the show having many humourous moments in this episode.
  • Still good as the first anthology

7.6
    Heh, this episode rocked. The Space Invaders bit was too much .. blasting away to Rush's "Tom Sawyer" reminded me of my old arcade days back in the early 80's :) The "All your base" reference was really good too. I found myself laughing out loud on that one ... also in the last skit, the part where the witch slapped her "viewing mirror" around and said "Damn this DSL"
  • This is a sweet episode.

This is a really funny episode. It is one of my favorite episodes. It is sweet. It is the second anthology of interest episode. I think it is better than the first one. It has three different stories in it. The stories are:

I, Meatbag

Bender wants to know what it would be if he was a human. The professor turns Bender into a human because he wants a nobal prize. Bender loves it. He drinks and smokes and parties all night. He runs away to party. Then a week later, Fry finds him. He is like 750 pounds and he is about to die. The professor gives his nobal prize speech but he doesn't get a nobal prize. Then Bender makes a speech about how good being a human was. Everyone in the nobal prize ceremony room. Then Bender gets a nobal prize, but he's dead. He died when the party started but no one knew.

Raiders of the Lost Arcade

Fry wants to what if life was more like video games. There is an emergancy! All the video game characters want quaters. Fry is really good at video games, so the whole crew comes to the rescue. They kill all of the ghosts in Pac-Man and then there is a bunch of ships from space invaders. Fry takes control of a gun and shoots all the ships. When he is on the last ship, he can't get it. He never could. His brother always got it for him. The ship landed and stole everybodies quarters.

Wizzin'

Leela wants to know what it would be like if she had parents. She is Dorthy in Wizard of Oz. Fry is the scarecrow and Bender is the tin man and Zoidberg is the lion. They are looking for the professor. The witch kidnappes them and she brings them back to her house. At the house, the witch dies from the water. Right before she died, she said that she wanted Leela to be her daughter. Then they go to the professor's house. The professor gives Fry a brain, gives Zoidberg a gun and Bender some money. When Leela is soposed to wish to go home, she wishes to be the new wicked witch. Zoidberg breaks the toilet and the water goes on Leela and she dies. Then she wakes up. She was just having a dream. It's confusing.

I give this episode a 9.5 out of 10.
  • My favorite Futurama episode!

• Introduction of Mario

"Who would have thought a small amount of liquid would ever fall on me?"
    This is a great shot at the Wizard of Oz in the final segment with Leela's question. Mom being the wicked witch is very believable and Fry as the scarecrow is hilarious.
    Farnsworth: And young scarecrow, I can see all you need is a brain
    Fry: Why does everyone keep saying that?

I also like Zoidberg suddenly joining them, saying "And I'm the other guy. Courage, not enough of it" and Leela deciding to be the new wicked witch.

This was my favourite segment but the other two were hilarious too. I think one of the running gags of the Anthology episodes was going to be a character saying "Farewell sweet prince" as both Fry says it in I and Farnsworth in II. I'll finish this review with a classic Zoidberg quote from The Wiz:
    Leela: Why did you bring us here?
    Zoidberg: And why did I have to take a cab?!
  • Much, much better than the first Anthology of Interest. I especially liked Bender becoming a human.

Much, much better that the first Anthology of Interest. I especially liked Bender becoming a human being. I liked the others too, but not quite as much as the Bender one. Once again Matt Groening's masterful skills in creating diverse segments comes out in this classic. Definitely the best episode of season three in my mind. Thanks to Mr. Groening's genius, people have some humor in their lives.
  • Even better than the original

I thought that the first Anthology of Intrest episode was a clever way of ripping off a Simpsons Halloween episode with 3 separate stories. But this one is even better!

The 1st story had Bender as a human. Obviously Bender is a Pig but as a human he got bigger and bigger until he was so fat he died.
    As a fan of classic video games the second part where Fry imagined life was a video game was my favourite. The references to games like Pac-man and Mario Bros were especially funny.
    The third story was a little bit more touching and serious with Leela finding out where her true home was.
  • Anthology Of Interest 2

This is the best episode of Season 4 I have ever seen. It is my favourite episode from Season 4. It was real exciting and funny. It is well written and I also like the previous one to it. It was awesome plus all the segments were hillarious and they were all thought out well.
  • This episode is about the professor fix the what if machine

In this episode they ues the what if macine to see what will happen Bender one was what if he was a human he got so fat and he like eating taest food he like dance and party it was good then Fry what if question was what if life was a video game it was i this is the best what if qustion we dont not get to see Leela one becuase she got hit it then she dream like in the movie the wizard of oz expect it was differnt i wish they can show more episode like this one
  • Professor's What-if machine is in use again. This time, Bender finds out what it would be like if he was a human, and Fry finds out what would happen if the world was a video game. Leela gets a parody of the Wizard of Oz.

This episode had some of the best jokes in the whole series. The Leela part was the best, with many shots at Zoidberg. The Bender clip was also very funny. He starts partying day and night, until he is so fat he can't move. Fry's short is not as funny, just weird. It might be because I don't remeber the classic video games, like the original Donkey Kong.
  • Another fine day it is when farnsworth digs his "What if machine" out of the dumpster...

Once again we see the random plots of Bender,Fry,and Leela...having the proffesor rebuilt the what if machine.First off is Bender as a human...I didn't really like this half of the episode.It's sickening...though the other hals are great!See the world in the form of a video game andLeela gets sent to OZ!...no,not the prison.I'm talkin' the Wizard of Oz!