Futurama

Episode Two: The Series Has Landed

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Apr 04, 1999 on Comedy Central

• "That's not an astronaut, it's a tv comedian, and he just used space travel as a metaphor for beating his wife."

Originally this was meant to be a later episode of Futurama, but personally I'm glad they moved it to the second showing. For starters, they do a good job of introducing the final three main characters of the show in a matter of three minutes, no easy task.

Amy Wong, clutzy, rich grad student.
    Hermes Conrad, the Jamaican beauracrat.
    And lastly, Zoidberg, the crew's eccentric doctor. He's a little strange though... He wears sandals.

This episode has some great (including the crushinator and bender's tips on making love) as well as some sly science fiction references.

My favorite thing about this episode though is the back and forth between Fry and Leela. It was interesting how Leela couldn't understand Fry's obsession with the moon and watching Fry's spirit break down until he agrees that it's just a big dull rock, until Leela comes around when she notices the earth rising over the horizon.

My only complaint (and it's a minor one) is that the Professor is still a little flat when he appears in this episode as compared to later ones.

Overall a great episode, my total grade's an A minus
  • Sailors on the moon

In this second episode, Farnsworth introduces Fry, Leela, and Bender to the rest of the staff, Hermes, Amy, and Zoidberg, who's a lobster like creature.

Farnsworth sends Bender, Amy, Leela, and Fry to deliver a package. Fry is extremely excited to see the moon, imagining moon rocks and open space, but he is shocked to find out the moon has been turned into an amusment park.

This was a great episode. I loved how all the other characters were introduced. I also loved the sailors on the moon ride scene, Bender and the farmers daughters(espicially The Crushinator 5000.)

Overall Grade: 85%/B+

Great eppie
  • episode two

in the second episode of futurama, we meet the rest of farnsworth's staff. fry, bender, amy and leela go to the moon, which is now an amusement park. but due to such things as amy losing the keys in a claw machine game, bender "a-touching" a farmers' robot daughters, and fry and leela being stuck while almost freezing to death on the moon, they all eventually go back home when amy gets the keys back.

not as good as the pilot but still good, my overall grade for this episode would be an A or so. Good, a great offering
  • Fry, Leela, and Bender go to the moon.

This was a great episode. It was only the 2nd episode, but it was a great start to a great series. The songs in the episode were memorable and funny. The entire episode was memorable and funny. It was funny when Bender stuck the beer bottle on Craterface. I loved the song when Fry and Leela take the Luna Rover Ride. "We're whalers on the moon, we carry a harpoon! For they ain't no whales so we tell tall tales and sing our whaling tune!" All in all, this is one of my favorite episodes of one of my favorite shows!
  • Here's your package, Mr. Horrible Gelatinous Blob!

This episode is about the Planet Express crew when they embark upon their first mission... a delivery to the moon (which is the location of an amusement park, Luna Park), and they lose the keys to the ship in the crate. Meanwhile, Fry and Leela go on an adventure on a small moon buggy in order to find the original moon landing site. Bender gets kicked out of the park, "I'll make my own park, with blackjack, and hookers. In fact, forget the park!" - and Fry and Leela run out of oxygen. They find the original moon landing site and return home safely. A great follow-up to the pilot episode!
  • Memorable and funny.

I like this episode. The Crushinator is hilarious, and I'm glad we get to see her or him or whatever that thing is in future episodes of the show. Luna Park was funny, as was Bender (as always, he's my favorite character, of course!).

Professor Farnsworth introduces Fry, Leela, and Bender to Amy Wong, Hermes, and Doctor Zoidberg. Amy is there because she has the same blood type as Professor Farnsworth, according to Farnsworth. Hermes is a bureaucrat. Doctor Zoidberg is a lobster-like alien that is, obviously, a doctor. Professor Farnsworth assigns Fry, Leela, and Bender their first delivery to the moon, and Fry is interested by the moon. Leela is annoyed by his enthusiasm.
  • funny episode

This episode truly does take a great leap in character development for this series. Once more we see intimately into Fry and Leela's relationship. Additionally, several secondary characters are introduced in this episode. Examples include: Hermes Conrad, Amy Wong, and John Zoidberg. The tacky theme park on the Moon is a clever play on Disney World and that corporation in general. The mooney man mascot is a even more precise in how mascots are mistreated at these types of theme parks. In Conclusion, this episode caontains character development, clever parodies, and an overall excellent example of what this wonderful series is about.
  • Fry goes to the moon.

We now get to meet some of the other characters in the series. Dr. Zoidberg, Amy, and Hermes. This episode revolves around Fry's first trip to the moon and also the new crew's (Fry, Leela, and Bender) delivery. They have to deliver an item to the Lunar Park on the moon. Fry is excited while everyone else is not. Leela wants to just make the delivery and return home, but Fry and Amy convince her to stay and they go to Lunar Park. This show was hilarious, especially Bender. We learn that magnets turn off Bender's inhibition chip and he starts singing folk songs. Funny stuff.
  • fry leela and bender join the plantet exprees company and have to deliver a parcel to the moon

this episode is a must see it is just ammazing i loved the first episode and when i saw this the second episode i was hooked on futurama. its just so funny fry thinks the moon is amazing although everyone else thinks its just a dull place and stupid theme park. the best part of this episode is when fry and leela go to the farm and meet the crushinater there is a great chase which always makes me laught mainly because of crocs with space helmets. all in all this is probbably one of the best episodes and i should know ive seen them all.
  • The moon is boring.

Another great episode (not as great as the pilot, but still very good) Fry's unhuman stupidity is what for the most part drives this episode ahead and many more episodes to come for that matter; in the same vein of Homer Simpson's reknown and blatant ignorance and unintelligence. My favorite characters in this episode are the huge bugs/aliens that have to be milked by Fry and Leela and the three robot daughters. Me being a fan of the Dukes of Hazzard finds the jump over the canyon a nice homeage to the 80s show. Characters I don't like in this episode are the mariners and their song. The lazy/unlazy guy is hilarious though.
  • Good episode, but not the cream of the crop of Futurama...

• One small step for man, One giant leep for the series.

• One Small Step For Fry....

The series certainly has landed! Fry can hardley believe his luck when Planet Express' first mission is to deliver a package to the moon. The other crew mates don't seem to share his excitement about the moon which puzzle Fry until they arrive there.
    The moon is appropiately labelled Luna Park and is unbeknown to Fry's surprise an amusement park! (Funny Fact ~ we actually have an amusement park in Melbourne, Australia named Luna Park, Alas it is not associated with the moon)
    One would think Fry would have been thrilled with the amusement park yet his heart is set on finding the official "moon landing" area.
    Fry and Leelas little expedition takes a turn for the worse and they find themselves running out of oxygen and fighting for their lives.
  • Episode Two is brilliant!!

I love this episode for many reasons, the main one being that it introduced my favourite character Zoidberg and another of my favourites Sal, even though both of them weren't on the levels they were on later I still find them pretty funny in this episode.

And the theme park on the moon idea, now that's great and I like the honeymooners reference, that was pretty funny:

FRY: That's not an astronaut he was a tv comedian and he was just using space exploration as a medifore for beating his wife.

That was great my favourite joke was the crocodiles jumping up from craters with space helmets on.

I really enjoy watching this episode time after time and I laugh harder every time I watch it. Oh, Futurama how I miss you.
  • The second episode brings us new characters (Zoidberg, Hermes, and Amy) while the crew makes a delivery to Luna Park on the moon.

The second episode of this acclaimed cartoon series on FOX, brought us some more of the characters that we all love and can't forget; Dr. Zoidberg, Hermes, and Amy Wong. The storyline has the brand new Planet Express making a package delivery to Luna Park on the Moon surface. While Bender and Amy make the actual delivery, Amy loses the ship keys in the crate. While they try to retive the keys, Leela and Fry end up exploring the actual moon surface. During the adventure, they end up getting lost and lose the rest of thier oxygen. After a run in with a local "hoot", Bender, Leela, and Fry end up at the lunar module and hide from the incoming freezing shadows of the moon. Amy finally retrives the keys after winning all of the stuffed animals from the crane machine, and ends up rescuing the crew.
  • A good episode

We see the introduction of several characters most notably that of Dr Zoidberg. It is Fry's first delivery and it is to Luna Park on the moon, a place where while living in the 20th century he dreamed of going.

Fry wants to go out and investigate the moon quickly getting tired of what the amusement park has to offer.
    Fry's over zealous behaviour put him and Leela in considerable danger while out on the surface where they are saved from certain death with the discovery of the lost moon landing module and Leela is able to see through Fry's eyes the beauty of the moons landscape.
  • This episode explains a little more about the characters

Who said all sequels sucks?

They clearly wasn't watching Futurama. Because this episode was fabulous. (Yes, I use a lot of superlatives. So what? :p) We get an introduction to the rest of the Planet Express staff, and get some additional information on Farnsworth.

Farnsworth get some more characterization. We learn how he care for his employees (not very good), his relationship with some of the others etc. Nothing standout, but very funny.

Amy, got an introduction as well. Quick and to the point: Amy Wong, of the Mars Wongs. Previous member of Kappa Kappa Wong. Good.

Hermes. Same as Amy. Quick and merciless. "Pays the bills, notify next of kin, what-have-you." Bureaucratic, and that's it.

Which gives time for Zoidberg! And what a great introduction. I dare anybody to see that scene, and not laugh, it was hillarious. His upside-down anatomy-chart, his complete ignorance of the human body, his lobsterlike apperance and the part with his mother. Oh my gosh, that was great. I beginnign to smile right now, just thinking about it.

The mission, and the lunar park. Not so impressed. Pretty standard fare. Funny now and then, but nothing standout. Benders folksinging was funny the first time, but got irritating later on. Benders remarks when he got thrown out, a classic though. Good development in Fry and leela's friendship, once they get to the surface. And then one of my favourite scenes: The talk in the Lunar Lander. I just loved. Gave Fry some substance, and Leela a chance to see the Moon with Frys eyes (no pun intended). Fry learns about maturity, and Leela learns to open her eyes for the wonders and beauty that isn't apparent at first sight. Great scene.
  • Full of irony and intriuge, I can\'t wait to see what happens next.

Let\'s face it, it\'s rare to find a good pilot. It\'s so rare in fact, you might as well not see it. But this one is different. This one is very well done and serves as a great start to the series.

This episode explains why and how Fry, the lead character, got frozen and wakes up 1000 years in the future. It takes place in real time, so this year is 2000, so he awakes in the year 3000. This comical event is made funnier by the following events of Fry finding and seeing New York for the first time in the year 3000. Along the way, he finds one-eyed aliens and alcohol drinking robots. He even finds his great x30 nephew from the future.

Space Pilot 3000 enjoys a full orchestral score and fantastic 3D visuals for the New New York. This looks like it\'s a big-budget show, something you never see much of anymore, and a real novelty. It\'s also full of the comedy that made shows like the Simpsons so cool. This show is very funny.

Unfortunaly, it;s not all smooth-sailing. Although the 3D animated sequenses are very great, the pacing of the 2D animations are not well-paced, and there are stuttering in the voice-acting. It doesn\'t matter though, as this is just a pilot, and hopefully will be fixed in the newer episodes.

Full of irony and intriuge, I can\'t wait to see what happens next.
  • I love Dr. Zoidberg!

In the beginning of the episode Fry, Leela and Bender are eating breakfast cereals Admiral Crunch and Archduke Chocula when Hermes informs them that they have to deliver a package, and Fry has to visit the doctor before he can go into space. Dr. Zoidberg is a lobster-like creature who doesn't even seem to know which gender is which for human beings, and asks him to open one of his mouths and when Fry opens his mouth and says what Zoidberg instructs him to say, Doctor Zoidberg gets offended and says "My mother was a saint!" After this, the crew and the Prof.'s student Amy Wong journey to the Moon, where Fry is disappointed by how commercial and historically inaccurate the moon is, and insisted on going on the educational ride where he decides to go off track and gets lost and almost dies from oxygen deprivation and then are saved by working on a lunar hick's farm.
    Oh god, it's just funny. I'm especially fond of Zoidberg.
    -Angie
  • Fry busca apartamento y Bender le ofrece vivir con él... Sin embargo pronto tienen que buscar un nuevo piso ya que el de Bender mide 1 metro cuadrado.

Más detallado: Fry ya no puede vivir en el edificio de Planet Express, asi que tiene que irse a vivir a otro apartamento, Bender le ofrece irse a vivir con el, pero no pueden porque su apartamento mide 1 metro cuadrado, tras probar varias alternativas fallidas encuentran un piso perfecto, excepto porque Bender no puede vivir en el al interferir en la señal de la television por cable y en los moviles del edificio. Bender se va, pero cae en una depresion que lo lleva a cortarse la antena para convivir con Fry, al final recapacitan y se vuelve a implantar la antena, finalmente Fry se va a vivir al armario del apartamento de Bender que es muchisimo mas adecuado.
  • This is a sweet episode.

This is really funny episode. It is the first time Fry goes to the moon.

Fry, Bender and Leela go on there first delivery. Leela is the captain. They have to go to the moon. Fry imagines himself walking on the moon. When they get there, Fry see's that there is an amusement park on the moon. It's called Luna Park. Fry thinks that the park is stupid. He wants to go and walk on the real moon. Leela takes him out to the moon. It's really boring. Then they realize that they are running out of oxegyn, so they go to this guy's farm. Bender gets kicked out of the park and he goes there to. He sleeps with one of the farmers robots. Leela, Bender and Fry run away. As soon as the farmer almost catches them, Amy saves them with the spaceship. They go back down to earth.

I give this episode a 9.2 out of 10.
  • Fine example of a great episode.

"After joining Planet Express, Fry, Bender, Farnsworth's assistant Amy and Captain Leela must deliver their first package... to the moon. Fry imagines himself walking on the moon, but he finds out that there is an amusement park on the moon - Luna Park. While lowering the package, Amy drops the ship keys inside it. Fry is the only one who wants to walk on the real moon, so he goes with Leela to a educational trip, yet he interferes the road and they are now marooned on the moon with almost no oxygen. Amy and Bender discover the key that fell inside a crane game machine. Bender is thrown out of the park after putting his hand inside the machine. Fry and Leela arrive at a farm in the middle of the moon where they have to work for oxygen. After Bender sleeps with one of the robo-daughters of the farmer, he starts chasing Fry, Leela and Bender, but right in time, Amy appears to save them."

Okay, this episode isn't as good as the pilot. But it realy is humorous. The educational trip is another running gag, which is funny...overall still a great episode.
  • This episode really cuts the cake.

I love this episode more than the pilot because it had better writing. And because of the story of him seeing the moon had an amusement park was good, I wrote a fanfic about it. But this episode had a lot more (and better) jokes than the first one. And the dramatic part of them going to die, and then Bender\\\'s making lourve with the robot women was great. I don\\\'t say this a lot but I\\\'m going to give this a 9.1 because it really was superb. Not the best, no, but definitely better than what TV.com gives it.
  • Introduction of Dr Zoidberg, Amy Wong and Hermes Conrad

This episode, although not the pilot, is where the series really takes off, with the first delivery mission...to the moon. Fry's first meeting with Zoidberg and Farnsworth's warning (he's a little strange...he wears sandals) and "young lady, I'm an expert on humans". The moon was definitely a good choice for the first mission so that it starts out somewhat normal instead of the Planet Express Crew going to Omicron Persei 8 or the Bot Planet. From robot daughters to "whalers on the moon", you can really tell why the moon confuses Fry. A great way to continue on the success of the first episode.
  • No one can understand Fry's excitement of landing on the moon

This episode really puts into perspective our hopes and realities for the future, how domething so adventurous today such as going to the moon is looked at as an every day dull occurance by the people in the future.

This episode is a little sad at times with fry having his 20th century spirit steam rolled flat by leela when he is led to realise that one of his lifelong ambitions is no longer special.

This is a kind of similar point to the first one, when he makes friends with bender (Another lifelong dream) although that one works out better.

But Leela also gets a taste for the beauty in simplicity of the moon, almost brave new world style.

All in all a great episode worth watching. The humour was great so was the Whalers on the moon song :D.

See it.
  • Proved the premiere was no fluke.

This was a great follow up to the premiere. Fry, Bender and Leela goe on there 1st space mission and it is to the moon. When Fry first met Dr Zoidberg I thought it was hilarious. Zoidberg: Open your mouth....no your other mouth!

The moon's attraction is that it is a cheesy theme park which has a lot of phony rides and phony merchandise. Fry doesn't have much fun until he goes out in a space suit to the real moon.

The first episode was a great introduction, but this is where things really take off! We learn a lot more about the personalities of the characters. Leela - the captain, is level headed and has to keep the likes on Bender and Fry who act like idiots under control.
  • The Series Has Landed

This is the best episode I have seen. It is my favourite episode from Season 1 and my favourite episode of all time. It was real exciting and it was introducing the rest of the cast of Futurama. This episode is the best one for the second episode made and will always be the best.
  • Not as good as the premiere, but an important episode for debuts of the supporting cast, nonetheless.

"The Series Has Landed" introduces us to many of the supporting characters, mainly Amy, Hermes, and the ever-lovable Dr. Zoidberg. It also helps expand on Fry and Leela's characters. The gang makes a delivery to the moon, which is now host to its very own amusement part. Amy loses the Planet Express keys in the claw machine, while Fry, curious to see how the moon has changed over the years, grabs an oxygen suit and begins exploring, with Bender and Leela in tow. This is where the episode begins introducing character development, although at this point it pretty much sacrifices all its humor that it used up in the first 8 minutes. The ending also cops out slightly, with Amy suddenly coming to the rescue out of nowhere.

Still, this episode deserves credit for Bender's hilarious "Blasting All the Humans" song on the banjo.
  • Fitting continuation of the pilot introducing the remaining crew of Planet Express. One of the best episodes where the main theme of 20th Century Fry coping with his long hibernation is skillfully explored

After getting the main exposition done with in the pilot, this episode gets down to business and start expanding on its main themes.

For the first delivery, the crew goes to the Moon which is an exciting event for Fry since he has always dreamed of going to the Moon. Now it has become a cheesy amusement park (loosely based on Disneyland) where people are superficial and blind to the natural beauty of the Moon. To connect with his past, Fry goes out to the Lunar surface with Leela to discover something from his time (Lunar lander) and some things he couldn't possibly expect back then (lunar farmer, his robot daughters and odd farm creatures).

This episode introduces new characters but also develops existing ones: Amy is the clumsy intern, Zoidberg the incompetent lobster doctor, Hermes the responsible bureaucrat, Fry the messy bachelor, Leela the responsible and sensitive captain and Bender the slacking menace to society and to amusement park mascots. It is also full of timely and timeless humor injected with pop culture references. Social commentaries (presence of the Confederation flag with gun wielding and unsophisticated farmer and wanton development of pristine nature) add to the show without distracting us from simple fun. Overall, this is a very fitting continuation of the pilot, fleshing out the main theme of Fry's uneasy introduction to the 30th century and introducing diverse secondary characters.

Some quotes:
    Leela "I don't know about your previous captains but I intend to do as little dying as possible."

Leela "Ok, if everyone's finished being stupid..."
    Fry "I have more, but you go ahead."

Amy "Aye Aye Captain, I mean only one eye, I mean yes sir, um, ma'am."