Futurama

Episode Two: The Series Has Landed

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Apr 04, 1999 on Comedy Central

• "That's not an astronaut, it's a tv comedian, and he just used space travel as a metaphor for beating his wife."

Originally this was meant to be a later episode of Futurama, but personally I'm glad they moved it to the second showing. For starters, they do a good job of introducing the final three main characters of the show in a matter of three minutes, no easy task.

Amy Wong, clutzy, rich grad student.
    Hermes Conrad, the Jamaican beauracrat.
    And lastly, Zoidberg, the crew's eccentric doctor. He's a little strange though... He wears sandals.

This episode has some great (including the crushinator and bender's tips on making love) as well as some sly science fiction references.

My favorite thing about this episode though is the back and forth between Fry and Leela. It was interesting how Leela couldn't understand Fry's obsession with the moon and watching Fry's spirit break down until he agrees that it's just a big dull rock, until Leela comes around when she notices the earth rising over the horizon.

My only complaint (and it's a minor one) is that the Professor is still a little flat when he appears in this episode as compared to later ones.

Overall a great episode, my total grade's an A minus