Futurama Forums

Comedy Central (ended 2013)

Did the writers hate Leela?

KurtPikachu2001

[1]Apr 10, 2014
    • level: 11

Like Seth McFarlane with Meg on Family Guy, it seems like the writers of Futurama (both show and comics) just seem to just plain hate Leela.

Since the show came back in 2010, don't get me wrong, all the new seasons have been very cool. It's like Leela got reduced somehow, and even the in comics back in 2011. And 2012 In the show, Leela was the butt of an eyePHONE prank, deported to the sewers, got knocked out by a Scotsman, kidnapped and sold as a slave in issue #54, got kidnapped again in issue #62, a tentacle monster got a hold of her, she got bossed around as shedrove around Fry and Bender like a soccer mom, and got turned into a squid and shewas defeated, humiliated and waited for Fry and Bender to save her. Like she was Amber from Grabbed By The Ghoulies.

Was really hoping there would've been an episode in the last season where she came out in a blaze of glory instead of making her be a battering ram. Also, was hoping she could put Fry and Zapp Branigan in their places for good for being such idioticjerks to her and hoping there would've been an episode where Fry got abducted and Leela, Hermes, Bender, and Amy had to save him.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KurtPikachu2001

[2]Apr 10, 2014
    Sorry if this post seemed a little out of sorts, I was severely distracted by noise outside my window when I wrote this.

Also, the while writers degrade and debase Leela, it seems like it's for the sake of empowering Fry be making him and Bender have an adventure at her expense. Fry is running around free while Leela is all locked away somewhere. And she was tortured when she was a squid.

ArtCorvelay

[3]Apr 10, 2014
    • level: 8

Aside from your examples I didn't really see this as a recurring theme. I always saw her as the strong, rational character that often pulled Fry and Bender out of trouble. As far as her and Zapp go, yes, there were some demeaning moments but she also did get to kick his ass as well in War is the H Word.

Dunking_dove

[4]Apr 10, 2014
    • level: 4
    I personally didn't think she was reduced as a character. I for sure didn't get that vibe. I really think its the opposite. Personally when someone is really liked with in a group of friends, usually the most loved, is most likely targeted with practical jokes. Just my opinion.

KurtPikachu2001

[5]Apr 11, 2014
    Sometimes I think the writers put her in those scenarios was because they hate her because she is a strong tough female and maybe some had issues with those kind of characters.

mxcmm

[6]Apr 15, 2014
    • level: 7
    I could see in some eps that she was made to look foolish or stupid, but I also saw her character as strong willed and independent too.

KurtPikachu2001

[7]Oct 24, 2014
    The one thing I never liked was whenever Leela suffered a misfortune, Fry seemed to benefit from it. Even when he messed up.