We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Futurama Forums

Comedy Central (ended 2013)

I have just one question... Does Futurama have an absolute ending?

jimedfrost

[1]Jul 17, 2010
    • level: 6

The only reason I bring it up is because the episodes seem to be leading in no absolute direction ("Attack of the killer app!" For instance) We know that fry was flash frozen into the future not by accident but for a purpose. that purpose was fulfilled in the Episode of "The Why of Fry" They then tried to Establish fry trying to get Leela to date him Which has been scattered in many of the original series episodes and only just getting close in The season five finale "The devil's hands are idle playthings." This then comes to a close in the Movie "Into the Wild Green Yonder. Holophonor Excluded.

Now I may be a sucker for mystery but are there still secrets left to the universe of futurama?

Have we gotten the show that we wanted so badly to be revived, to late?

Is there more why to Fry?

Are Leela and Fry Actually still considered a couple even though in the first few episodes they've seemed to have only become friends yet again?

Has the topic title lost all of it's meaning?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Deadeye402

[2]Jul 17, 2010
    • level: 11
    Er, Futurama is a sitcom. Sitcoms are made up of standalone episodes, and as such, there is no serial nature to it that leads to an absolute conclusion. It will have its "conclusion" when it either gets cancelled again, or the Futurama team is ready to call it quits. Fry and Leela got together in the last movie because the writers thought that was the end, so they wrote the movie like it was. But, the series got revived. Luckily for them, the success of the show does not soley revolve around Leela and Fry. Yeah, it is kind of unfortunate that the unrequited romance part of the show is probably gone; it was interesting while it lasted. But I don't know about you, but I didn't watch the show for that. I watched it because it was hilarious, and it had some great standalone sci-fi stories. This isn't Friends.

And in terms of Why of Fry, I'm going to go out on a limb and say this wasn't a planned mystery to be revealed. Here's likely what happened. The writers wanted to make fun of Fry being stupid, so they came up with an idea that Fry's stupidity will save the world. So, they just expanded on the thought and made it out that it was his destiny, and wrote it into just THAT episode that Nibbler made him fall in. This was not an idea they had when they were writing the first episode of the series, with a plan to reveal the truth. It's a sitcom, not the X-Files! The Nibbler thing was just a joke that fit into the context of Why of Fry.

Futurama is not about mysteries, so questioning whether the mystery of the show is gone is kind of irrelevant. The only point that I can agree on is the Fry-Leela thing, but even now we don't know what's going on with them so I'll give the writers the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure we'll eventually get a Fry-Leela centric episode, but I think for now they're just trying to get back into their old rhythm.

Iamdapwnage

[3]Jul 17, 2010
    • level: 16
    Deadeye402 wrote:
    And in terms of Why of Fry, I'm going to go out on a limb and say this wasn't a planned mystery to be revealed. Here's likely what happened. The writers wanted to make fun of Fry being stupid, so they came up with an idea that Fry's stupidity will save the world. So, they just expanded on the thought and made it out that it was his destiny, and wrote it into just THAT episode that Nibbler made him fall in. This was not an idea they had when they were writing the first episode of the series, with a plan to reveal the truth. It's a sitcom, not the X-Files! The Nibbler thing was just a joke that fit into the context of Why of Fry.

Actually, they did plan that. If you re-watch the first episode, you can see Nibbler's eye when Fry falls into the frozen chamber

trerox

[4]Jul 17, 2010
    • level: 3

I blame this mostly on Rule of Funny and the fact that despite having a lot (and I do mean, a LOT) of continuity nods and such, it's still "technically" a work sitcom (in the broadest sense of the term, I might add)

Samuel2484

[5]Jul 19, 2010

Futurama isn't JUST a sitcom, it's a Sci-fi cartoon. Meaning they can add nods into everything, the sci-fi element of it has unlimited potential. Also, an upcoming episode is time-travel, named: The Late Philip J. Fry, which probably means there will be some kind of time-travel-fry crises which i love, and they may be trying to start a new time travel 'to-be-solved' saga for the rest of Futurama.

Samuel2484

[6]Jul 19, 2010

Samuel2484 wrote:

Futurama isn't JUST a sitcom, it's a Sci-fi cartoon. Meaning they can add nods into everything, the sci-fi element of it has unlimited potential. Also, an upcoming episode is time-travel, named: The Late Philip J. Fry, which probably means there will be some kind of time-travel-fry crises which i love, and they may be trying to start a new time travel 'to-be-solved' saga for the rest of Futurama.

If that makes any sense :L

italiankid5

[7]Jul 19, 2010
    • level: 7

Samuel2484 wrote:

Samuel2484 wrote:

If that makes any sense :L

Makes pretty good sense to me, i'm also looking forward to that episode as well.

merlinrules09

[9]Jul 23, 2010
    • level: 11

antdude wrote:
    I hope no ending!!

I completely 100% agree with you on this. I also hope the same for The Simpsons.

startug

[10]Jul 27, 2010
    • level: 23
    Simpsons needs an end. Seriously.

Futurama planned a lot of their episodes really early in the series, listen to some of the commentary. A lot of it wasn't a joke. But with Fry's brother, they didn't know if they were going to write that in or not in the beginning, so they didn't say much about his family.

PsyduckRanger

[11]Aug 16, 2010
    • level: 20
    Deadeye402, your post showed not only a lack of knowledge about this programme, but a lack of knowledge about television in general. The grand mystery of the series was planned from the beginning. You don't even need to watch the episodes to know that, just listen to Cohen, Groening, and everyone else involved talk about it on the DVD commentaries, you can tell how into it all they are. Granted, some elements weren't originally planned out - such as Fry's missing Delta Brainwave being a result of his "past nastification". When that happens, the writers owned up to it. But they're great at what they do, that's why they're the ones doing it, not us. If you want on-screen evidence of it, you can very clearly see a shadow which, whilst in live action could have been anything, in a cartoon was obviously deliberate, and identical to a Nibblonian's shadow. Another example; Leela, being a mutant. Her parents are visible in the very first episode that featured mutants, years before it was revealed.

Now, you say Futurama is a sitcom. I suppose you could call it that, but there are several other things I would call it first; science fiction & cartoon to name a few. You also said sitcoms are "made up of standalone episodes, and as such, there is no serial nature to it that leads to an absolute conclusion". That can be true, but by no means is necessarily. Many sitcoms are chock-a-block with continuing story arcs and strong continuity. A prime example is Friends, which you yourself mentioned, stating that Futurama isn't it, implying that Friends isn't a sitcom. That's exactly what it is, and a strong continuity permeates it, from the very first to the very last episode.

Anyway, whilst the writers will tell you that they'd disregard relatively minor points of continuity for a good story or joke, Futurama has a great continuity.

In answer to the original poster's question, obviously, there won't be an actual definitive end until the show itself ends, but I believe I heard somewhere, possibly before the revival, that even if it keeps going, as far as they are concerned Into the Wild Green Yonder is the ultimate end. I'm sure Cohen or someone said that they were never going to top that conclusion, and, ultimately, it should be regarded as the end, even after all future episodes and seasons are taken into consideration.

Or, I could be mistaken on that, I'm really not sure. All I know is, we should enjoy it while it lasts.

jimedfrost

[12]Sep 12, 2010
    • level: 6

I think I got my answer thanks.