Futurama Forums

Comedy Central (ended 2013)

lethal inspection by far the worset episode of the season

AndresHeredia

[1]Jul 28, 2010
    • level: 4

How can an episode that ignores so much continutiy be considered amazing.

The flashback at the end can not be possible.

Bender is 4 years old last count. Lets assume time has progressed some and is now 5 maybe 6 years old.

We saw the day he was built. He is built as a full "Adult" robot. Shown going to college to get his bending degree getting his first beer etc etc. In the mothers day episode he has a photo showing the day he was built as a full grown adult.

Hermes on the other hand has been with the professor for well over 10 years so he couldnt have worked with Mom's robot factory. Let alone he was with his wife when he won his limbo champion medal in the olympics. And his son is in his pre teens.

Just like the rest of this season its an Udder failure

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

joostin_cdn

[2]Jul 29, 2010
    • level: 10
    Continuity shemuity...

This is made by the same creator of the Simpson's...where the children never age. I think we call them cartoons these days.

Sabrespongebob

[3]Jul 29, 2010
    • level: 16
    Well the same thing happened in "Teenage Mutant Leela's Hurdles" Bender got younger until he was just a Disc (To be honest I didn't find anything wrong with the episode and thought it was the best of season 6)

startug

[4]Jul 29, 2010
    • level: 23
    It isn't the worst. It's the best in Season 6 so far.

123tv

[5]Jul 29, 2010
    • level: 11

Wow, someone is a hater. I agree with your issue with the continuity, but if you have ever watched the DVD commentaries on the previous seasons the writers are always saying how they have screwed up on continuity in one episode only to correct it in a later one with someridiculousexplanation. If any episode is the worst of season 6 it's The Duh-Vinci Code. That episode was terrible and by far the worst of the season.

startug

[6]Jul 30, 2010
    Nah, worst of the season was In-A-Gadda-Da-Leela.

Zipitydoodah

[7]Jul 30, 2010
    • level: 3

This often happens on cartoons. When the producers want to make a new episode, they sometimes have to fiddle with the continuity of the show to make the episode work. Besides, I thought that Lethal Inspection was a pretty good episode. I would say that it was worth it.

KurtPikachu2001

[8]Jul 30, 2010
    • level: 11
    I thought Lethal Inspection was the best episode of the season! Hermes and Bender going on an adventure was tops! I thought it was cute to see Bender as a baby. Continuity really doesn't mean anything in cartoons. Now if only there was an episode where Leela, Bender, Hermes, and Amy go on an adventure.

doguineta

[9]Jul 30, 2010
    • level: 20
    I rank it 4 in the season like this:

1. The Late Phillip J. Fry

2. Rebirth

3. The Duh-Vinci Code

4. Lethal Inspection

5. Attack of the Killer app!

6. Proposition Infinity

7. In-A-Gadda-Da-Leela

scottjoc

[10]Jul 31, 2010
    Actually Bender is way older than 4 years old, have you forgotten the episode where Bender got left in Roswell, he'd be 1004 years old if you count continuity.

but yeah it is a bit silly that a robot is built as a baby to begin with, which implies bender is actually older than he said he was - you never know, he could have lied about that part - he is Bender after all.

Also remember at one point the professor also worked for Mom (several times in fact) so it could be possible that they worked together for Mom or worked on the side. Its also possible they just totally screwed up and don't care, theres tons of errors in continuity.

Heres one that bothers me INFINITELY more than this:

The episode where fry has flashbacks about his 7 leaf clover and how his brother kept stealing all his ideas, the episode was heartwarming especially with the "I'll miss him every day comment"

But then years later they make the first movie where they travel back in time and one of the Frys is WITH his family all that time, rendering the earlier episode entirely moot point - pretty much ruining that whole backstory in one fowl swoop.

Sabrespongebob

[11]Aug 1, 2010
    1. The Late Phillip J. Fry

2. Lethal Inspection

3. Rebirth

4. The Duh-Vinci Code

5. In-A-Gadda-Da-Leela

6. Attack of the Killer app!

7. Proposition Infinity

DC-Dude

[12]Aug 2, 2010
    • level: 26

I disagree. I think Lethal Inspection was a very good episode. How I rank them:

1. The Late Philip J. Fry

2. Lethal Inspection

3. Rebirth

4. Attack Of The Killer App

5. Proposition Infinity

6. In-A-Gadda-De-Leela (Tied with 7)

7. The Duh-Vinci Code (Tied with 6)

Alexadecimal

[13]Aug 3, 2010
    • level: 6

Have you considered that Bender was constructed as a child then immediately upgraded to be an adult sized bot after his basic intelligences were installed, kindof how at one point he was installed with his degree in Bending in another flashback, thats how I'd rationalise it. Plus it doesn't bother me too much because baby Bender was adorable and that this ep was definitelythe best this season.

1.Lethal Inspection

2.The Late Phillip J. Fry

3.Proposition Infinity

In-A-Gadda-Da-Leela

5.Attack of the Killer app!

6.Rebirth

7. The Duh-Vinci Code

Edited on 08/03/2010 10:47am

mxcmm

[14]Aug 3, 2010
    • level: 7
    I thought Lethal inspection was one of the better ones. I thought Duh Vinci Code was bad. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion... No show is perfect, but sometimes the writers just have to make do and rewrite history to fill out a plot.

Iamdapwnage

[15]Aug 3, 2010
    1. The Late Phillip J Fry
    2. Rebirth
    3. Lethal Inpsection
    4. Proposition Infinity
    5. Attack of the Killer App!
    6. The Duh-Vinci Code
    7. In-A-Gadda-Da-Leela

startug

[16]Aug 4, 2010
    Great now everyone's underating all the good episodes of Season 6.

frosty_ice

[17]Aug 4, 2010
    • level: 24

This one is of the best episodes in this season, and its in equal terms with "Proposition Infinity" and "The Late Philip J. Fry"... the worst episode in this series, so far is "In-A-Gadda-Da-Leela".

LRifle

[18]Aug 4, 2010

I agree with TC but more for a different reason, I felt this episode tried to hard to be like Luck of the Fryish and other such sentimental episodes, but it came off as weird especially since Hermes and Bender have no real chemistry. Ill admit I was hoping more from this ep because its the Bender ep and he is my favorite on the show, but I think the whole emotional thing felt so forced

r10tp00f

[19]Aug 4, 2010
    • level: 7

Matt Groening cares not for continuity! It was bound to happen with Futurama. For a while I thought it handling it better then Simpsons, but things keep popping up like this. The longer Futurama goes on, the more it will happen. Continuity is sacrificed when it is convenient for a joke. It's not a bad thing, just laugh and don't think too hard about it. There's lots of things in Futurama that don't make sense, and you shouldn't think too hard about. If you do it will hurt your brain. Simpsons is really bad, continuity only comes into play when convenient for the story. There are so many conflicting threads...

PsyduckRanger

[20]Aug 16, 2010
    • level: 20
    First, you have to learn one of the most wonderful tools in writing, that many writers themselves don't seem to realise; anything that's only said by one character, with no other character able to verify it, can very easily be written off when necessary as either a mistake or a lie. Such as Fry's line in season 2 about time being a straight line, and not cyclical. Bender could have been wrong about his age, he could have been mistaken, or he could have started counting again when he transfered to the body he's in now, I don't know how robotics work in this show.

In fact, the flashback we saw in Bendless Love was most likely false. Because not only do we have more evidence to suggest Bender was built in a child-sized body, we know it's possibly for robots to "age". We saw this in "A Clockwork Origin" - granted, it wasn't explicitly aging, more evolving (which apparently only happened at night, since, based on the speed it was apparently happening at, we'd have been able to visibly see it if it happened during the day), but aging itself was implied - and "Teenage Mutant Leela's Hurdles". Based on that episode, we know that robot's can age and grow, thanks to their RNA.

Second, Bender's age. You've gotten it wrong for a start. He was 4 in 3001/2. Even ignoring the thousand years his head aged in Roswell That Ends Well, and the millions of years in Bender's Big Score, if you're accepting that we know Hermes has been at Planet Express for ten years, you're accepting that we know Bender has, because we don't know how long before the show start he'd been at Planet Express. Could have been a month. And he could have gone straight there from Mom's, which would suggest it was a few years.

So, my concluding thoughts are that Bender either lied or was mistaken about his age, and that his flashback was a false memory, possibly implanted when he was built to kick in when he was fully grown (which we know could have happened rather quickly), or, that could have been something akin to his university education, with all his earlier memories wiped for whatever reason. Either way, I find it much more likely that Bender was built in a child-sized body and grew than that he was built the way he is now, if only because we have another character and physical evidence to support the former, versus Bender's memory alone for the latter.