Futurama Forums

Comedy Central (ended 2013)

lethal inspection by far the worset episode of the season

LukeJames525

[21]Aug 18, 2010
    • level: 19
    PsyduckRanger wrote:
    First, you have to learn one of the most wonderful tools in writing, that many writers themselves don't seem to realise; anything that's only said by one character, with no other character able to verify it, can very easily be written off when necessary as either a mistake or a lie. Such as Fry's line in season 2 about time being a straight line, and not cyclical. Bender could have been wrong about his age, he could have been mistaken, or he could have started counting again when he transfered to the body he's in now, I don't know how robotics work in this show.

In fact, the flashback we saw in Bendless Love was most likely false. Because not only do we have more evidence to suggest Bender was built in a child-sized body, we know it's possibly for robots to "age". We saw this in "A Clockwork Origin" - granted, it wasn't explicitly aging, more evolving (which apparently only happened at night, since, based on the speed it was apparently happening at, we'd have been able to visibly see it if it happened during the day), but aging itself was implied - and "Teenage Mutant Leela's Hurdles". Based on that episode, we know that robot's can age and grow, thanks to their RNA.

Second, Bender's age. You've gotten it wrong for a start. He was 4 in 3001/2. Even ignoring the thousand years his head aged in Roswell That Ends Well, and the millions of years in Bender's Big Score, if you're accepting that we know Hermes has been at Planet Express for ten years, you're accepting that we know Bender has, because we don't know how long before the show start he'd been at Planet Express. Could have been a month. And he could have gone straight there from Mom's, which would suggest it was a few years.

So, my concluding thoughts are that Bender either lied or was mistaken about his age, and that his flashback was a false memory, possibly implanted when he was built to kick in when he was fully grown (which we know could have happened rather quickly), or, that could have been something akin to his university education, with all his earlier memories wiped for whatever reason. Either way, I find it much more likely that Bender was built in a child-sized body and grew than that he was built the way he is now, if only because we have another character and physical evidence to support the former, versus Bender's memory alone for the latter.

Outstanding analysis. Even so, I don't really care about continuity, I thought this episode was great.
    Edited on 09/02/2010 5:42pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

PsyduckRanger

[22]Aug 19, 2010
    • level: 20
    LukeJames525 wrote:
    Outstanding analysis. Even so, I don't really care about continuity, I thought this episdoe was great.

Thanks very much And yeah...my opinion on the importance of continuity generaly varies from fandom to fandom...with Futurama, I care to an extent, since the writers have clearly put effort in to maintain continuity at points, but since I know the characters are never going to age (let's face it, if this show makes it to 2030, Cubert will still be 12), I guess you have to detach yourself from it at some point.

And yes, it was a fantastic episode, the best of the revival so far, in my opinion. I don't know why people are saying it's sweet but not funny, I was laughing up a storm the whole way through.

sibowittz

[23]Sep 19, 2010
    • level: 17
    1. Attack of the Killer App!
    2. Rebirth
    3. In-A-Gadda-Da-Leela
    4. The Late Phillip J Fry
    5. Lethal Inspection
    6. Proposition Infinity 7. The Duh-Vinci Code

Samuel2484

[24]Sep 19, 2010
    • level: 16

I think in a Gadda-Da-Leela was the worst. It lacked that classic Futurama feeling. And it showed how bad Futurama is when the adulthumoris raised above the bar of being tooinappropriate. But I am happy that this episode got that test of humor outta the way, because if they'd waited to air the episode any longer into the season, it would've been a massive hole in the season.

Jamesbray

[25]Sep 19, 2010
    • level: 13
    So you hate the entire episode because of the last minute?

startug

[26]Sep 21, 2010
    • level: 23
    It wasn't the last minute of it he hated, it had some bad dirt jokes earlier in the episode, didn't you see?

shadowysea07

[27]Sep 21, 2010
    • level: 25

PsyduckRanger wrote:
    First, you have to learn one of the most wonderful tools in writing, that many writers themselves don't seem to realise; anything that's only said by one character, with no other character able to verify it, can very easily be written off when necessary as either a mistake or a lie. Such as Fry's line in season 2 about time being a straight line, and not cyclical. Bender could have been wrong about his age, he could have been mistaken, or he could have started counting again when he transfered to the body he's in now, I don't know how robotics work in this show. In fact, the flashback we saw in Bendless Love was most likely false. Because not only do we have more evidence to suggest Bender was built in a child-sized body, we know it's possibly for robots to "age". We saw this in "A Clockwork Origin" - granted, it wasn't explicitly aging, more evolving (which apparently only happened at night, since, based on the speed it was apparently happening at, we'd have been able to visibly see it if it happened during the day), but aging itself was implied - and "Teenage Mutant Leela's Hurdles". Based on that episode, we know that robot's can age and grow, thanks to their RNA. Second, Bender's age. You've gotten it wrong for a start. He was 4 in 3001/2. Even ignoring the thousand years his head aged in Roswell That Ends Well, and the millions of years in Bender's Big Score, if you're accepting that we know Hermes has been at Planet Express for ten years, you're accepting that we know Bender has, because we don't know how long before the show start he'd been at Planet Express. Could have been a month. And he could have gone straight there from Mom's, which would suggest it was a few years. So, my concluding thoughts are that Bender either lied or was mistaken about his age, and that his flashback was a false memory, possibly implanted when he was built to kick in when he was fully grown (which we know could have happened rather quickly), or, that could have been something akin to his university education, with all his earlier memories wiped for whatever reason. Either way, I find it much more likely that Bender was built in a child-sized body and grew than that he was built the way he is now, if only because we have another character and physical evidence to support the former, versus Bender's memory alone for the latter.
    your forgetting that he joined planet express the same day leela and fry did so how long hermes has been there has nothing to do with how long benders been there.