Futurama Forums

Comedy Central (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread - 'A Clockwork Origin' - Season 6 Episode 9 -12/08/10

Samuel2484

[1]Aug 12, 2010
    • level: 16

On August 12th 2010, Episode 9 of Season 6 of Futurama will air at 10pm on Comedy Central. The theory of evolution is put to the test on a planet inhabited by robots.There will definitely be robot dinosaurs. P.S: Sorry to everyone about my NOT posting the official discussion threads for the last 2 episodes, I've been away for 2 weeks, but I'm back now so no need to worry

File:A Clockwork Origin.png

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

T7F

[2]Aug 12, 2010
    • level: 7

looks ok

TheGreatRingsby

[3]Aug 12, 2010
    • level: 6

Fantastic Episode! Once again. This is turning into a great season.

Finally, something on television that explains the possibility of a higher being and evolution co-existing. It's astounding how little support an idea like this has. Quite funny too! I always hated the idea that you can either be an ignorant religious nut, or a close-minded arrogant atheist. See, there IS a middle ground.

italiankid5

[4]Aug 12, 2010

TheGreatRingsby wrote:

Fantastic Episode! Once again. This is turning into a great season.

Finally, something on television that explains the possibility of a higher being and evolution co-existing. It's astounding how little support an idea like this has. Quite funny too! I always hated the idea that you can either be an ignorant religious nut, or a close-minded arrogant atheist. See, there IS a middle ground.

I didn't see it, so it wasn't a one sided arguement episode like somthing Family Guy would do? Also the reason this episode probably suggested the idea of the 2 beliefs co-existingis cause of Matt Groening's religion. I heard he was an Agnostic which I also heard means he doesn't believe in God but doesn't deny the fact that there could be a God.

TheGreatRingsby

[5]Aug 12, 2010

italiankid5 wrote:

TheGreatRingsby wrote:

I didn't see it, so it wasn't a one sided arguement episode like somthing Family Guy would do? Also the reason this episode probably suggested the idea of the 2 beliefs co-existingis cause of Matt Groening's religion. I heard he was an Agnostic which I also heard means he doesn't believe in God but doesn't deny the fact that there could be a God.

Nah. If you don't mind, I'll give you a minor plot spoiler. .....

.... Farnsworth was railing against creationism, and since people refused to believe in evolution, he decided he didn't want to live on earth. So he finds another planet, and purifies water using nanobots. The nanobots evolve into higher robotic life forms (making Farnsworth their creator). After some shenanigans dealing with the evolved robots, Farnsworth and his nemesis agree that evolution is real, but there is a chance that it was put into motion by a higher being. It was really well done.

Edit: and yes, it was a very agnostic episode. Something you don't see these days in television.

Edited on 08/12/2010 8:04pm

italiankid5

[6]Aug 12, 2010

TheGreatRingsby wrote:

italiankid5 wrote:

TheGreatRingsby wrote:

Nah. If you don't mind, I'll give you a minor plot spoiler. .....

.... Farnsworth was railing against creationism, and since people refused to believe in evolution, he decided he didn't want to live on earth. So he finds another planet, and purifies water using nanobots. The nanobots evolve into higher robotic life forms (making Farnsworth their creator). After some shenanigans dealing with the evolved robots, Farnsworth and his nemesis agree that evolution is real, but there is a chance that it was put into motion by a higher being. It was really well done.

Edit: and yes, it was a very agnostic episode. Something you don't see these days in television.

I've never liked the mentioning of evolution in shows cause i'm offended by it cause of my religion but who am I to mock their beliefs cause if I mock the beliefs of atheists, i'm just giving them an excuse to mock my beliefs but yeah you don't really see that these days and like I said at least they're just not blatantly saying that God isn't real like that episode of Family Guy "Not All Dogs Go To Heaven". I'll just have to watch the rerun and give my thoughts on this episode later.

Doom442

[7]Aug 12, 2010
    • level: 4

As a hardcore atheist i actually enjoyed this episode much more than i was expecting. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it made me question my beliefs, but it did let me see that once you remove "religion" from "belief in a higher power" (yes, there is a massive difference between the two) then there is some hope of co-existing with them in some form or another, instead of getting into debates where one side (not pointing fingers), will cower into the corner and throw blindness insults in spite of rational (or otherwise) reasoning or having your holes poked by the opposing side.

Getting back into the actual episode, quite a few laughs AND a reasonable story. A combination this season has lacked (either its one or the other). Although a couple of questions i had that didn't get answered was how did the trilobytes evolve that quickly and current robots (which were also apparently created by Farnsworth), stayed the same. Was it something in the oil? Also, i thought Bender came to terms with the fact he was built. He even came to terms with the fact he was poorly made earlier this season. Why is he suddenly changing his instrument?

TheGreatRingsby

[8]Aug 12, 2010
    Doom442 wrote:

As a hardcore atheist i actually enjoyed this episode much more than i was expecting. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it made me question my beliefs, but it did let me see that once you remove "religion" from "belief in a higher power" (yes, there is a massive difference between the two) then there is some hope of co-existing with them in some form or another, instead of getting into debates where one side (not pointing fingers), will cower into the corner and throw blindness insults in spite of rational (or otherwise) reasoning or having your holes poked by the opposing side.

Getting back into the actual episode, quite a few laughs AND a reasonable story. A combination this season has lacked (either its one or the other). Although a couple of questions i had that didn't get answered was how did the trilobytes evolve that quickly and current robots (which were also apparently created by Farnsworth), stayed the same. Was it something in the oil? Also, i thought Bender came to terms with the fact he was built. He even came to terms with the fact he was poorly made earlier this season. Why is he suddenly changing his instrument?

Many nanobots are based on human cells. Since robots are nearly infinitely faster than biological lifeforms at processing information, it probably had something to do with their quick evolution.

Jamesbray

[9]Aug 12, 2010
    • level: 13
    Brilliantly written episode. I also loved the Zoidberg and Cubert subplot, Fatherman and Sonboy to the rescue!

antdude

[10]Aug 13, 2010
    • level: 27
    Weakest epsiode for this season, BUT not horrible. 6/10.

LukeJames525

[11]Aug 13, 2010
    • level: 19
    Great episode! I'm not an evolutionist, but I loved the plot, and most of the jokes were good. The Zoidberg and Cubert subplot was just okay though. The only funny bit was Fatherman and Sonboy, and it didn't really have a satisfying ending. I give it a B+.

Adv193

[12]Aug 13, 2010
    • level: 23

Had some good moments there and good humor revolving around the concept of creationism, will have to watch again.

Also I should note I am one of those people that has a dislike of religion, but I am in no way an atheist. While I still believe in the teachings, I don't like how the more radical members of religion cause of lot of harm in society which is something that the news and the Simpsons taught me about. But I sure this is a good similarity to the Simpsons episode The Monkey Suit and Family Guy's Not All Dogs go to Heaven.

thetruesora

[13]Aug 13, 2010
    • level: 22

If the Zoidberg and Cubert subplot was as great as the main plot (i laughted at Fatherman and Sonboy but it just seemed a bit underdeveloped) this would be by far the best episode of this season and one of my all time faves (definately top 10 possibly even top 5).

It handled the topic of "creationism vs evolution" very well.It didn't mock anyone's beliefs as if to imply "if you believe _____ then you are wrong and an idiot" like what's happened with plenty of subjectson Family Guy (those relating to religion, politics etc).

KurtPikachu2001

[14]Aug 14, 2010
    • level: 11

The evolution plot was stellar! The rivalry between Farnsworth and Dr. Banjo about the 'missing link' was funny! The spaghetti monster thing reminded me of South Park's Go God Go episodes! The subplot between Zoidberg and Cubert was funny, too! Especially that painting! The whole robot evolution scene was awesome, how they evolved so fast within days. Fry getting attacked and Leela and Amy being wives was really cool! the whole courtroom scene where Bender was a cross between Matlock and Charles Darwin was excellent beyond words! Was Dr. Banjo tailored after Dr. Zaius of Planet of the Apes I wonder? Another awesome episode! 5/5!

LRifle

[15]Aug 15, 2010
    • level: 10

Very good episode, and it was nice to see them avoid the Family Guy route of picking one side and belittling the other. Reference to a certain sentimental episode was pretty funny too, but I liked Farnsworth the best in this one. He and Fry have carried this season.

italiankid5

[16]Aug 15, 2010

LRifle wrote:

Very good episode, and it was nice to see them avoid the Family Guy route of picking one side and belittling the other. Reference to a certain sentimental episode was pretty funny too, but I liked Farnsworth the best in this one. He and Fry have carried this season.

My thoughts exactly, they managed to get their views across without offending anybody, very good episode indeed. 8.9/10

DC-Dude

[17]Aug 15, 2010
    • level: 26

I liked this episode a lot. I thought that the funniest part was finding the missing link between each of the missing links... and the Professor says, "Well, I'll admit, you got me on that one."

I don't see why it hasn't gotten good ratings on this website.

doguineta

[18]Aug 15, 2010
    • level: 20
    Another great installment for Futurama. It was nice for them to find a middle point between the 2 sides, and now bash one, like Family guy. And my favourite line:

Farnsworth: TO THE SCIENCE MOBILE!!!!
    Leela: You mean the ship?
    Farnsworth: Yes! THE SCIENCE MOBILE!
    Leela: Ok, it's just that you never called it like that before....

PsyduckRanger

[19]Aug 16, 2010
    • level: 20

'Twas a grand old episode. This is probably going to get boring soon, but like many others I loved how they handled differing opinions. Indeed, the conclusion ultimately reached is pretty much exactly what I believe; evolution set in motion by God. I believe in creationism and evolutionism. As this episode proved, the two are not mutually exclusive, and to claim they are shows only an ignorance of them.

Oh, also, it was funny. The Zoidberg/Cubert subplot was marvellously random.

Edited on 08/16/2010 9:12am

TheKeeny

[20]Aug 16, 2010
    • level: 1

That's not quite right. Agnostics simply question the existence of God, but allow that he very well could exist. There is no definitive belief set in any direction. As an agnostic, this episode was quite awesome.