Futurama Forums

Comedy Central (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread - 'The Late Phillip J' - Season 6 Episode 7: 29/07/10

T7F

[21]Jul 31, 2010
    • level: 7

to anyone that thinks that they killed off all the characters and we started new, I have the answer.

The Time Machine had no time to move forward right? Well the crew forgot to turn off the button, so the Time Machine was schunted to the beginning of time. It would continually do so until the button was turned off

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TheGreatRingsby

[22]Jul 31, 2010
    • level: 6
    That's not likely the case. Especially since they killed the third universe's Fry, Bender, and Professor.

thetruesora

[23]Aug 2, 2010
    • level: 22
    ^That was because they'd of been "time travel duplicates" (like in the first movie). They had the Professor say that line to make it clear that those are just earlier versions of them and not a completely new universes' version of them.

BundyX75

[24]Aug 3, 2010
    • level: 6

Good episode, definitely in the top episodes this season but I can't see why anyone is calling it one of the series bests. There were a lot of funny moments (less for me than others), the Hitler thing (ah, Prof), most, if not all, the jokes based around the time periods/travel. Planet of the App joke has never been done better in my opinion.The, "see you in five years" was hilarious. The "I laid you off twenty years ago" to Zoidberg was awesome. Probably my favorite. My problem is,and I've said this about last weeks episode, isit was kind of predictable. I knew from the second they went forward in time, Leela was going to find the card sometime in the future and was going to do something emotional to the overall story. Maybe it's because I saw the card flying out of Fry's hand, I mean, that's a sign of great writing. I liked that they put that in, but kind of ruined any emotional shock for me, like with The Sting or Luck of the Fryish. The whole thing afterwards was a thing of beauty. The whole end of the universe thing was just amazing, probably the best moment in the season. Especially the restart, enjoyed seeing some of the moments again. Also, when they had to do it again was very funny, love the professor. Overall, despite being a bit more predictable, the writing staff haven't really missed a beat. Another great installement in the series.

antdude

[25]Aug 5, 2010
    • level: 27
    It almost made me cry.

Samuel2484

[26]Aug 10, 2010
    • level: 16

Wow, what an episode! This is without a doubt, my favourite episode of season 6. I love a good Futurama time-travel episode and this onedefinitelycounts as one of them. I loved the story between Fry and Leela as they went forward in time, thedifferent time periods that they travel to and I thought that the ending was one of the smartest things that they've ever done. *SPOILER* The idea of the universe starting from thebeginning over again after the end of the universe was a fantastic theory to put into the story, nearing the end of the universe I started to suspect that that's what might happen, but I loved the "kinda" flashbacks through Futurama's history as they traveled nearer and nearer to the present, with the aliensdestroyingEarth, the rebuilt castles and seeing the conference room's past with little winks to previous episodes and I just thought that this episode was fantastic. The side story worked as well and I would have to give this episode a 9/10. Good going Futurama!

futuramarama

[27]Aug 11, 2010
    • level: 37
    best of the new episodes for me. the second act is one of my favorite acts in the history of the show.

dex073

[28]Aug 15, 2010
    • level: 11
    in my top 3 of the whole series with jurassic bark and luck of the fryrish

PsyduckRanger

[29]Aug 16, 2010
    • level: 20
    thetruesora wrote:
    ^That was because they'd of been "time travel duplicates" (like in the first movie). They had the Professor say that line to make it clear that those are just earlier versions of them and not a completely new universes' version of them.

They can say that all they want, doesn't make it true. Fry also once said, with confidence, that time was not cyclical.

The second and third universes are notably different because in number 2, Hitler and That Fish were killed too early, and in number 3, Eleanor Roosevelt died, and who knows what happened to Hitler and That Fish when the crew of universe 2 time travelled. It's a wonder that the universe wasn't changed in very obvious ways as a result.

Anywho, awesome episode. It's nice to see that they're not completely saying Fry & Leela aren't together now.

I have one question; why didn't Fry simply take the dead Fry's card?