Futurama Forums

Comedy Central (ended 2013)

Official Movie Discussion Thread: Into The Wild Green Yonder!

Rate Into The Wild Green Yonder!

jimbo_001

[1]Jan 25, 2009
    • level: 56

Well, the final direct-to-DVD Futurama movie will be hitting stores in the US in a month, which means its time again to start a discussion thread. Until Into The Wild Green Yonder is released, this thread can be used to share expectations and hopes for possibly the last new Futurama anything that we ever see (fingers crossed for a fifth production season revival) and you can also discuss the previous movies and compare them to what you hope Yonder will bring. You can also discuss the first three films in their individual threads:

Bender's Big Score
    The Beast With A Billion Backs
    Bender's Game

Once Yonder is released, a poll will be made, and discussion can spread like herpes (or wildfire, whichever proverb you're more familiar with). As always, I'll put up the information of the fourth/final Futurama film for Fry & Farnsworth fans.

Movie number: 4

Movie Name: Into The Wild Green Yonder

Release Date: 24th February 2009

Release Info: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/releases/Futurama-Volume-Release/8414

DVD Art:

News Graphic

Description:

In this all-new Futurama extravaganza, mankind stands on the brink of a wondrous new Green Age. But ancient forces of darkness, three years older than time itself, have returned to wreak destruction. Even more shocking: Bender's in love with a married fembot, and Leela's on the run from the law - Zapp Brannigan's law! Fry is the last hope of the universe... so if you're in the universe, you might want to think about going somewhere else. Could this be the end of the Planet Express crew forever? Say it ain't so, meatbag! Off we go, Into The Wild Green Yonder!

More links and information about the movie can be found in the Resurrection? thread. The usual rules and stuff apply. Once the movie is released in the US, it would be a wise choice for international people to steer clear of the thread unless you want the movie spoiled for you or you've illegally downloaded and already seen the movie, in which case congratulations. Anyway, I'm going to go and beg for snoo snoo (some may know it as clubbing) so I'll leave Hypnotoad in charge of the thread while I'm gone.

Edited on 02/23/2009 6:31pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

X-435

[2]Jan 25, 2009
    • level: 17
    there are two new reviewa. They are big on spoilers and there are new pictures.
    http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/futurama-into-the-wild-green-yonder.html http://www.pixelhunt.com.au/index.php?action=fullnews&showcomments=1&id=66
    Edited on 01/26/2009 2:07pm

SuperMan919

[3]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 15
    Thanks for the links guys. The movie sounds great, but I'm not expecting much because of the three previous installments. Seriously, let's be honest. The movies have been good, but they were all missing something. They just haven't felt like classic Futurama. Sorry if you don't agree with me but that's just how I feel. Well, I'm gonna end this rant, before I say something I would regret. See ya.

X-435

[4]Jan 27, 2009
    well, the reviews say not as good as BBS, but better than the last 2

bewitchedfan2k

[5]Jan 31, 2009
    • level: 12

Well the BBS was quite good, but to be honest it was the Amy & Zap thing that p**sed me off in Billion Backs and really spoilt that movie and also Bender's Game somewhat but that was a bit better but still not having that 'something' the old series had as has been said. Personally I think as it stands the whole Futurama revival was a mistake and they really should have left it where it ended before (Devils hands) but Green Yonder is the real tester to see if it changes my mind on all that. I'm keeping open to it but I'm not expecting it too.

goldenagenick24

[6]Jan 31, 2009
    I think that the past three movies have shown that futurama could come back and still be about as good as it left off...hopefully this movie doesn't change my mind..

Sad thing is, It seems in recent interviews that Cohen isn't that interested/confident in it.

terminoob

[7]Feb 2, 2009
    so im guessing the whole nibblonian/brain plot we were introduced to will come back... cept most likely without the brains... maybe nibbler will be a big role in this movie... only time will tell, i guess

X-435

[8]Feb 2, 2009
    For those who aren't sure whether to see the movie or not, and want to risk it, here's another review:

http://www.gotfuturama.com/Information/Articles/Into_the_Wild_Green_Yonder_Review/

BwayJ

[9]Feb 6, 2009
    • level: 8
    The movie premiered tonight at the New York Comic Con. Let me tell you this:

It was only a year ago when I bought Volumes 1-3 of the show from Barnes and Noble for a Buy 2 Get a 3rd Free sale, so I have not been a Futurama fan for too long. However, the experience of seeing these characters for the last time on a big screen with a laughing and cheering audience was something that anyone even remotely associated with the show would enjoy heartily. Lines got laughs so big that subsequent lines could not be heard. Characters received applause as if this was a live sitcom. Most importantly, seeing the film with an audience increased my sadness at seeing the show go. Had I just watched the film myself at home, I would not have ended it with the sense of joy that sharing the end and celebrating these great characters with fellow enthusiasts has granted me.

That being said, this film goes along with Bender's Big Score in how well-constructed it is. The majority of the subplots mesh together into one story and one ending. Bender has a subplot that takes up much of the first "episode" and is never heard of again after that, but it is still enjoyable. The actual final scene is fun and has some relationship closure (whose, I will not say), and even though it seems rushed, be glad that it happens at all. To fans who were disillusioned by Bender's Game and The Beast with a Billion Backs, do not hesitate to see this conclusion and be reminded of how much fun Futurama can be.

startug

[10]Feb 7, 2009
    • level: 23
    Wow, I must see it! I got the poster for Into the Wild Green yonder yesterday, it is so awesome!

X-435

[11]Feb 7, 2009
    Whoot! only 12 more days! watched the movie last night. It was great. I am gonna buy this the second it's out. It was funny, good plot, and the *Can't say which character's "something"* was funny
    Edited on 02/13/2009 12:22pm

butchazoid

[12]Feb 15, 2009
    • level: 12

Well, ladies and gentlemen, I watched the last two straight-to-DVD films. Now where do I start?

"Bender's Game" was definitely a vast improvement over the colossal d*ckfest known as "The Beast With A Billion Backs", and definitely my favorite of the four films with hilarious gags and a simple but straightfoward plotline. So naturally, I was waiting in eager anticipation that they've saved the best for last with "Into The Wild Green Yonder".

Boy, was I wrong.

That's not to say the last movie is horrible. In fact, it does deliver the goods with hilarious jokes throughout and the surreal atmosphere the TV series was known for. But then again, I guess I had my expectations way too high; I kinda hoped it would be something more like Return To Oz with creepy monsters and a dark story/atmosphere while still keeping the goofy nature of the TV show, or like a Tales of... JRPG game with an engaging storyline and great character development.

So what's the movie about? Well it's just like the previews have said: another new evil has come to strike the universe down, and Fry is the only one left who can stop it from happening. What kind of threat? You have Leo Wong about to destroy the Violet Dwarf Star to make way for his new golf course, Leela joining an eco-feminist group to put Wong in his place, and Fry gaining a new ability to read minds as well as discover the secrets behind the possible fate of the universe as well as the Number 9 Man.

Yes, the Number 9 Man conspiracy is revealed, and what other loose ends are tied up in this movie? Well I can't really confirm that the One and the Other conspiracy is revealed at this time, because I don't really know for sure. The sci-fi genre has a natural talent for devising these excellent buildups that just capture our attention on who or what is going on that when the big twist is revealed, it literally knocks us down--like Contact, for instance. But if this movie really gives the answer to that conspiracy, I think everybody's gonna be disappointed like me. I mean I didn't like the twist on who the true villain is (I should point out Nibbler doesn't make an appearance in this movie so he's obviously not the villian.) as well as how Fry saves the universe, as I said to myself, "HOLY CRAP, WAS THAT STUPID!" I don't know if the twist was meant to be a funny one, but it's was still a ripoff to me.

As for the conclusion to this movie--and probably the franchise in general--it's a darn good one, much better than the "Devil's Hands" conclusion. That's not to say the DH episode had a bad conclusion, I just didn't think it was a proper way to end a sci-fi comedy series in general. And yes, Fry/Leela fans will be pleased with how it ends.

Speaking of Fry and Leela, I should advise those romance fans to not get their hopes up; This movie hardly concentrates on the "love story" at all! In fact, besides the conclusion, only one portrayal of the Fry/Leela relationship pops up and as the movie progresses, they don't really make much contact--what a shock. My guess was the writers just didn't care anymore and only concentrated the two's interaction in sort of an "It-has-to-fit-in-the-movie-somehow" mentality.

For all the movie's faults though, It was still a pretty decent way to end the series, if this truly is the last time the Planet Express crew will be together. Futurama's return to DVD was pretty good overall, if not thoroughly satisfying. I mean, hey! It could've been a whole lot worse: all four of these movies would've sucked and not just the "Beast" movie. I'll still be looking foward to picking this movie up on DVD even if just for the hilarious jokes.

So for the great comedy, but stupid and rather limp plotline, I'd give this movie a passable 6.5/10.

Edited on 02/15/2009 7:57pm
    Edited 3 total times.

SpikeTbear

[13]Feb 16, 2009
    • level: 7

I do not understand why people disliked this or any of the Futurama movies. I should stop listening to their criticisms before it corrupts my own view of this great series. I think Futurama is brilliant, one of my all time favorites.

Futurama is one of the very best shows on all of television. No teen angst drama, reality garbage, cop show, sitcom, or much of anything else can compare to the high standard Futurama sets. It's ok if people say an episode sucks; even if it does, it is still better than most of what's on TV. It has a quick humor, hilarious jokes, lovable characters, controversial social commentary, creative sci fi atmosphere--what is there not to like. People may not get most of the jokes that fly right over their heads, or they may be scared off because the show doesn't so all of the same stuff you find everywhere else on TV. It is their loss.

People may be disappointed that the storyline wasn't darker, or more mushy than past stories, considering it is probably the last. However, that is not what the creators were trying to do. They are just trying to tell more of their fantastic strory, and show some cleverly written sci fi and comedy, and they succeeded. They were not trying to cater to the fans or to tie up all of the loose ends; they were just trying to make more of what they loved doing, and what made the series great. They did a great job too. When I was finished watching ItWGY, I was thoroughly satisfied.

X-435

[14]Feb 16, 2009
    Here's my proper review:
    This was the best movie so far. The beginning was funny(I'm Leo Wong, and I say BOOM) although the Bender/Fanny plot was useless since it was dropped in part 2. Leo Wong playing mini gold is hilarious(all scenes with him were funny!) and the green theme was great. Plus, they still have ways to kill Waterfalls. The ending was sweet and unexpected. I was expecting Leela to be the other(like Nibbler said) but it wasn't. And it does leave a gate way. They could be gone forever, or back on Earth or around there.

I really hope the show comes back.

startug

[15]Feb 17, 2009
    Well, Matt Groening says that he might make a theatrical film.

X-435

[16]Feb 17, 2009
    that is a MIGHT though. there MIGHT also be a new season.

startug

[17]Feb 18, 2009
    But who knows, at least Futurama had 4 good movies (Not BWABB) and that was already a new season, Season 5. But it would be nice if futurama was back on Fox, and it had new episodes, and got rid of Family Guy, and The Simpsons retire, then it has 3 shows, Futurama, American Dad, and The Cleveland Show.

X-435

[18]Feb 18, 2009
    with the simpsons getting a new opening just shows it will go one. but yes, GET RID OF FAMILY GUY

cvjrbdjkasfi

[19]Feb 19, 2009
    • level: 7
    I really enjoyed this one. The plotting was paced really nicely and the laughs came at *just* the right rate (funny but no crowbarring). Top stuff!

Botangirl

[20]Feb 20, 2009
    • level: 10

oh my gosh that ending hecka alluding to the maybe maybe not return,

i want to know what happened to amy and kif in between the movies bbb, it's like nothing happened????

does anyone else remember the bbs comentary saying something about metal breaking down after time, that was supposed to be a story plot somewhere, i don't remember it showing up

but loved it, i hated beast with a billion backs, it made me cry over how badly they treated the characters, bg got my hopes up, and i like it, though that dumb ending wants me wanting more, and i wanted more nibbler too, and more fry and leela stuff but i'm happy with what i got, except for nibbler, he deserve more explanation