Futurama Forums

Comedy Central (ended 2013)

Official Movie Discussion Thread: Into The Wild Green Yonder!

Rate Into The Wild Green Yonder!

PsyduckRanger

[21]Feb 21, 2009
    • level: 20
    Wow! I loved it! I preferred Bender's Big Score, but that's just because my love of time travel borders on fetish. Although I do also think that was more epic since the heart of the plot had the destruction of all time...

So yeah, amazing ending. I love how Kif joined them, leaving Zap at long last. Hopefully for good...Loved Snoop Dogg, and just how mushy it all was, not just Fry and Leela, but even Farnsworth, Hermes, Zoidberg, and, more or less, Scruffy, are getting in on the mush. Better ending the the series had, more open, and more exciting. It makes you want to know what happens next, but at the same time it's just one of those things where you kind of want it to end, even though it's a cliffhanger. As though a series were cancelled when they expected it to continue...did anybody ever see Xiaolin Showdown? I'd compare that ending to this. Only there ending just establishes things as back to normal, unlike this... If they renewed it now the writers would undoubtedly split Fry and Leela up, just so they could bring them back together. On a series like this, they don't want to bring the main characters together until the end...like Kim Possible...only they got renewed...they stayed together though...

But yeah, like the last film, I can clearly see the boundaries between the parts for TV though, which sucks. I couldn't see that at all initally with BBS, it just flowed for me, whilst with Beast With a Billion Backs it wasn't too noticable.

Prepare to be dissappointed; unless I missed it, there is no explanation for why the Number Nine Guy wears his number nine shirt. Unless Nine is literally his name...

All in all, very good.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

morgado

[22]Feb 22, 2009
    • level: 3
    Even though I really enjoyed this movie, wish there was nibbler/brains related stuff...

X-435

[23]Feb 22, 2009
    • level: 17
    morgado wrote:
    Even though I really enjoyed this movie, wish there was nibbler/brains related stuff...

There was a brain in the crowd at the end, and there was a Niblonian in the quarter of a quarter thing

ModernTimes

[24]Feb 23, 2009
    • level: 9
    Just finished watching it. I must say, this was the best one yet. Final ranking:

1. Into the Wild Green Yonder

2. Bender's Big Score

3. Beast with a Billion Backs

4. Bender's Game

I really hope they continue on with the show in some fashion. Personally, I would love to see it in the form of a TV series, but Futurama works well in Direct-to-DVD format. Here's hoping they do something with it.

bewitchedfan2k

[25]Feb 23, 2009
    • level: 12
    Pretty good. The first 25 minutes just feels like an old skool futurama episode that's been bolted onto the front and it has no real relevance the rest of it. I'd say that was the best bit in truth. Once the proper main storyline kicks in it itself is not bad, not brillant but perfectly entertaining enough but no massive hook or plot twists or anything. The ending is quite rushed and clearly leaves it at a possible ending or possible continuation, Plus one great gag poking fun at creationists. Overall much better than Bender's Game and Billion Backs but still not quite as good as Bender's Big Score.

I was watching the blu-ray version so once again the quality of it was near orgasmic.

7/10

PsyduckRanger

[26]Feb 23, 2009
    Feel it's appropriate to quote Maurice LaMarche, Billy West, and Matt Groening from the end of the commentary for "The Why of Fry".

Maurice: Should we do a special ninety minute episode where we finally get Fry and Leela together?

Matt & Billy: Yes!

lazyjay

[27]Feb 24, 2009
    • level: 30
    bewitchedfan2k wrote:
    I was watching the blu-ray version so once again the quality of it was near orgasmic.

I just got a blu-ray player player the other day, mostly in anticipation of this movie (also so I could watch Firefly and Serenity in high quality). I have to agree, it looked beautiful. Sad to say I didn't much like the movie itself. In the first 2 parts many of the jokes seemed obvious and forced to me and Bender and Fry seemed like caricatures of their old selves. It also seemed like the story kind of wandered for a while before it found itself. In the commentary (which was a joy to listen to and watch) they said due to the writes strike some of the production steps were rushed and had to be done out of order - I wonder if that affected the quality at all. I enjoyed the last 2 parts much more - they almost had that old Futurama feeling back, and I feel it went out on an up note. Overall I enjoyed the story, most of the jokes were funny (last half), the animation was fantastic (as always) and the music - well Chis Tyng is amazing. Also, I enjoyed Seth MacFarlane singing the intro.

My order for the movies:

1 - Bender's Big Score
    2 - Bender's Game
    2.5 - Into the Wild Green Yonder

6 - Beast with a Billion Backs

The easter eggs were funny and the Docudrama: How We Make Futurama So Good had me in stitches.

xTokiWartoothx

[28]Feb 26, 2009
    • level: 10
    the movies really lost their appeal to me beginning with billion backs, but green yonder has restored my faith. benders big score had the best plot by far, the two middle movies were pretty horrendous, but the final one was definitely worth the wait. it did feel a little light but it's still better than you could expect

hope to see a season 6 soon, though i would prefer they just keep releasing movies, the length allows them to focus on a nice solid plot. after these four, 22 minutes no longer seems suitable for futurama, if it did come back, hour long episodes would be preferred.

Green Yonder Spoiler

Did anyone else notice that they didn't include nibbler? nor did they address the fact that there was no more usable dark matter. they did say at one point that the p.e.s. was low on whale oil, but considering the severity of the ending of the last movie, it seems like kind of a cheap ineffective way to alleviate the preceding crisis.

X-435

[29]Feb 26, 2009
    Maybe they made the movies as a way to see what the audience like e.g. BWABB had humor while BG had Fantasy. Apparently people want a plot and Fry/Leela

xTokiWartoothx wrote:

Green Yonder Spoiler

Did anyone else notice that they didn't include nibbler? nor did they address the fact that there was no more usable dark matter. they did say at one point that the p.e.s. was low on whale oil, but considering the severity of the ending of the last movie, it seems like kind of a cheap ineffective way to alleviate the preceding crisis.

They had a Nibblonian in the quarter of the quarter thing o.o

soundsofsilence

[30]Feb 27, 2009
    • level: 23
    SPOILER ALERT!!!

Did anyone else see some characters in the crowd scene that shouldnt be there? Such as The Drill sargeant from Roswell That Ends Well and The Brain.

icytower

[31]Feb 27, 2009
    • level: 3
    I enjoyed it a good bit. I just hope that the series continues beyond this point, it can't end .

CFlovesLF

[33]Feb 27, 2009
    • level: 51
    Any word on whether or not there will be a collector's set with all 4 movies?

terminoob

[34]Feb 27, 2009
    Best Movie out of the 4, by far... That ending was really weird, and of course, leaves an opening for a new season (or possibly movie...), but, even if they were to continue it from this point, then the plot would be so weird, if they followed the end of the movie, if they didn't, and just acted like nothing happened, that'd be disappointing...

#9.... what can I say? He was definitely the most random thing about this movie, I mean, only one guy with a number shirt? Oh well, at least his name was Nine, so I guess that's why they did it.

Benders plot wasn't really needed at all, but it had some laughs

Main plot was awesome, after hearing #9's explanation about the two creatures, I thought it was a little obvious from that point on the villain of the plot, since #9 didn't know which animal was which

Best opening of the 4 movies by far, Seth did a great job

All in all, I give it an 8.5/10 (only because it had room for another season, but it would not make sense if it came back for one, the Bender plot, and #9... altho, he was funny)

PsyduckRanger

[35]Feb 28, 2009
    xTokiWartoothx wrote:
    Green Yonder Spoiler

It wasn't important to the plot. If they took the time to explain loads of details from previous things like that, there wouldn't be time for an episode. I think worse than this is the end of the first Omicronian episode, where Earth was in ruins by the end, but restored by the next episode. It wasn't important to the plot, so that one line was all that was needed. It was addressed further on the commentary, however.

soundsofsilence wrote:
    SPOILER ALERT!!!

Did anyone else see some characters in the crowd scene that shouldnt be there? Such as The Drill sargeant from Roswell That Ends Well and The Brain.

There were a great deal of characters in that scene that couldn't have been, it was just supposed to include as many Futurama characters as possible (the script said every character, although all children had to be removed for Morbo's line). It's just letting the fans see their favourite characters possibly for the last time right at the end. I'm pretty sure they had similar character-stuffed scenes in The Simpsons Movie.

I've just had a thought. This would have worked better if ITWGY and BBS were switched. Obviously it would take a fair bit of rewriting, but the endings can easily be switched. At the end of some sort of space anomaly from where the Violet Dwarf Star had been, then in BBS, have the thing open in Planet Express headquarters, with them being sucked in, out of control. I think that would work...

mitsukigirl13

[36]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 18

I loved this movie! It had tons of laughs, great 3-D effects, and a great ending. Let's compare it to the other 3 shall we?

BBS: Confusing at times and hardly any laughs

BwaBB: Pretty much the same deal.

BG: Laughs for the first part of the movie, but when they went into the game, it slowly went downhill

ItWGY: Tons of laughs throughout the whole movie. unlike the other 3 movies, this one wasn't too fast or too slow and boring. We got to see old characters that we haven't seen in years. It wasn't too confusing, and there were a lot of great moments. The designs in this movie were fanominal! Especially the comet and the stingray thing.

Favorite Moments:

Fry & Leela kissing (Duh)

Zapp Branigan singing "Hungry Like the Wolf" LOL

Leo Wong saying "I'm Leo Wong and I say BOOM!" BOOM! LOL

and when the slug was attacking Leela (That thing just wouldn't die! LOL)

There were tons more great references, although some I didn't get, but my dad did and he was laughing his head off, unlike the first 3 movies we watched together where he hardly laughed at all.

This movie is a 10 out of 10, the best of all 4 movies. I think it was a great way to end the series. Kudos Matt Groining

X-435

[37]Mar 1, 2009
    Fellow Femisisters, Good news! Read this:

http://www.inquisitr.com/18383/futurama-might-return-to-fox/

DC-Dude

[39]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 26

This movie was amazing. I was blown away at the other movies too, but this one really had me blown away. As much as I didn't want Futurama to end, I'm glad that it ended like this.

I liked the movies in this order:

Into The Wild Green Yonder

Bender's Big Score

The Beast With A Billion Backs

Bender's Game

KurtPikachu2001

[40]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 11
    Got my copy yesterday! Awesome movie! Exiciting thrillride! Liked the golf courses, Mars Vegas, Leela and her band of eco-feminists who turned Leo sexist. Leela joining the eco feminists was reminisent on BWABB when Bender joined the League of Robots. The 9 Man was cool as well, and who thought the Dark One turned out to be that little worm Leela was caring for? Bender's affair with Fanny was great, cool to see the Robot Mafia again. I was disapointed that there was no Nibbler or it revealing about Leela being 'the other'. Good to see Frieda Waterfall again, even though she dies. The evolution was cool as well. It was even funny when the ecofemenists went to jail, and Fry kept getting conked on the head everytime he meet the Legion of Mad Followers. There was nothing bad about it. Though the ending didn't sit too well with me. I think it should've ended after they go into the wormhole, the closing credits shows what became of them, or a "Goldmember" type of ending where they watch themselves in the theater. It's a good thing Billy West said there might be a new season in the works. That's probably it ended how it did. Great movie, worth every penny for any Futurama fan. My ratings:

BBS: 50%
    BWABB: 100%
    BG: 87%
    ITWGY 91%

I've seen BBS like five times, that's why I gave that one a low rating.