Futurama

Future Stock

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Mar 31, 2002 on Comedy Central

• Funny twist on stocks.

The writers for Futurama probably have it easier compared to other writers because with a setting set in the future, there are just a landmine of material that you can derive stuff from and turn them into hilarious jokes. Here we have the case of a guy from Fry's time who takes over the company, through a bizarre sequence that involves an old lady that owns a single share of the company, and what ensues is a series of ludicrous of terrible commercials, corruption, and company conspiracy. The episode itself however was pretty average. None of the jokes were really laugh our loud worthy, and Futurama has a knack for ending with a real twist, but "That Guy's" bonitus seemed like a poor excuse to kill him off. Not a bad episode, but just merely average.
  • ONG!!! its "that guy"

hillarious episode, This stockmarket episode was a very good Mom episode as well as the new cryogenically frozen character that gets killed off in the same episode he is introduced and is only referred to as "that guy". This episode isn't my favourite Mom episode but it is very funny the whole way through with great jokes such as "you let me worry about blank" and "my only regret is that I have bonitis".
    Scruffy being the majority shareholder and Zoidberg selling his shares for a sandwich are both good character jokes and there's not one scene in this well written episode that I did not enjoy.
  • Another sweet epiosde! :)

Planet Express holds its stockholders' meeting, and the state of the business is not good. Uninterested in the meeting, Fry and Dr. Zoidberg wander off in search of food. Fry finds his way into a cryogenic defrostee support group meeting, where he meets a sleazy Gordon Gekko-esque 1980s businessman (referred to only as "That Guy" throughout the episode, though named in the script as Steve Castle) who froze himself to await a cure for his terminal "bone-itis".

Fry and That Guy return to the Planet Express stockholders' meeting, where a revolt against Professor Farnsworth is in progress. Fry nominates That Guy as new CEO, and That Guy beats out the Professor by one vote. That Guy names Fry his new Vice Chairman, and sets out to remake Planet Express by giving it an expensive image overhaul.

After, That Guy wastes piles of money on flying chairs, expensive suits, and an enigmatic television commercial (which is a reference to the 1984 Macintosh commercial), Zoidberg gets fed up and sells his stock to That Guy for a sandwich. After draining the company's funds and its employees' morale, That Guy announces that he is selling Planet Express to Mom.

The takeover begins at the orbiting Intergalactic Stock Exchange, and all the Planet Express employees vote against it. Unfortunately, the stock That Guy bought from Zoidberg gave him controlling interest. But before the final approval takes place, That Guy abruptly succumbs to a lethal attack of bone-itis, causing his body to contort as his bones snap, twist and curl. In his death-throes, That Guy admits he was so busy "being an 80s guy", he had forgotten to get the cure.

Fry gains control of That Guy's shares, and moves to vote against the merger. The Planet Express staff initially tries to convince him to sell the company, because the sale of their stock will make them all rich. However, Fry has already given a speech that drove the stock's price through the floor-since the staff will be poor no matter what he does, he votes against the merger. The staff leaves to spend the weekend in disappointment over the loss of their potential wealth.
  • A slick 1980's businessman takes control of Planet Express.

While attending a Planet Express Stockholders meeting, Fry stumbles across a cryogenic support group and meets another guy from the 20th Century. That Guy was a slick 80's business man and froze himself until a cure for his boneitis could be found.

Fry takes him along to the stockholders meeting where That Guy is voted in as the new CEO of Planet Express. That Guy takes the company in new directions and prepares it to be taken over by Mom. The crew are outraged and try to stop the plan until they discover that the price of Planet Express shares has skyrocketed.
  • This is a sweet episode.

This episode is really funny. Fry actually becomes the president of the company.

The crew votes for a new president. Fry votes for a guy who froze himself because he has bonitus and he froze himself so he could find a cure for it. It doesn't say his real name so everyone calls him that guy. Everyone else votes and that guy wins by one. He gives a promotion to Fry. Then that guy sells the company to Mom. They get to vote if they want to or not. Everyone votes no except for that guy. He votes yes. That guy owns 51 percent of the stock so they sell it. Right before they sell it, that guy dies. He dies because he forgot to cure his bonitus. Fry atomaticly becomes the president of the company. He says no and they don't sell the company. Fry lets the professor be the president again.

I give this episode a 9.4 out of 10.
  • Introduction to "that guy"

WGNAMER