Futurama

Godfellas

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Mar 17, 2002 on Comedy Central

• One of the best Futurama episodes

First off, Godfellas is really funny. ("Oh cruel fate, to be thusly boned"; "This is, by a wide margin, the least likely thing that has ever happened")

Second, it is one of not many TV episodes to which the overused term "thought-provoking" could be accurately applied. It really does leave you pondering afterward.
  • Array

The line "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all" is my "signature" on all my outgoing emails. I get a lot of positive feedback on it. The episode is magnificent. It has a perfect mixture of comedy and intelligence to it. Keeler and I are quite similar in our views on religion. Mostly that it is all fantasy. Perhaps that is why I love the script so much. The "Don't depend on God for all your answers" theme is something I live my life by and found it refreshing to see it on a great show like Futurama.
  • hillarious

At the start of this episode the Planet Express ship is attacked by space pirates while Bender is trying to take a nap. Not happy with the commotion Bender decides to find some peace and quiet by taking a nap in a torpedo tube.
    Bender is shot through space as that tube is fired sending him hurtling through space.

Unfortunately for Bender the ship can not catch him as he is moving too fast. Bender picks up a few tiny passengers when he passes through a region a space when he is bombarded with debris. Bender becomes a god like figure to the tiny creatures as he attempts to guide them through life with disasterous results. b
  • BENDER ALMIGHTY!

Oh my, my, my... GOD!!! This is an epiphany.
    BEST EPISODE EVER.
    This only shows how massively underrated FUTURAMA is.
    The messages of this episode are pretty much Everywhere, it just gives me creeps how deep it was.
    This episode is WOW! People in this site obviously didn't get it at ALL. What do I care about the rating, for this episode it should be disabled and keep it at a 10.00 forever.
    I'm going to omit many funny stuff, because there was a lot more going on.
    This episode got me hooked the whole time, because at the beginning it was completely to laugh out loud, Bender put himself two ears and then covered them to sleep, HAHA. Then he takes out a torpedo out of its storing, and Leela launches it, shooting Bender and destroying the Spaceship pirate. Leela tells Fry that Bender is doomed to drift through space for the eternity. Then, Bender takes out a little piano out of his chest, since there it was full of subtle and direct references to God. While Bender gets into asteroids, there was one where shrimpkins lived, one of them Malachi was the devoted one who gave the one commandment to the people "God needs booze". Bender became the Metal Lord, everyone prayed at him. Bender starts doing miracles, but not all of them were so accurated. Then, Malachi tells Bender, people in his ass is going to start a war. Everyone died. Next, Bender encounters with God, having a small talk. He was cloudy and coloured and spoke binary. God looked uninterested. Bender doesn't know where Earth is.
    Meanwhile, Fry misses Bender a lot, he goes to "first amalgamated church", the priest says he should pray, Fry replies: -"Is there anything useful I can do?" Priest: -"No."
    Then the oracle machine, tells him there is a sect at the top of the Himalaya in search of God with a telescope to look through space. Both Leela and Fry go there meeting the monks, Fry insists to use the telescope saying they have the whole time to find God, while he just needs one life to find Bender. There was lot of funny stuff until this point, specially with the monks.

The last scene made this episode, is so creepy!: After some time, Fry gives up looking for Bneder. God reaches the message from Fry after the machine "luckily" reaches him. God sends Bender back to Earth, he lands with a parachute, Fry hugs him while Bender was in flames. Fry says the monks are locked up but their God was going to save them. Then Bender replies: "Fat chance! You can't count in God for jack! He pretty much told me so himself. If we don't save those monks, nobody will." The camera flies through space, until it gets to the cloudy God. God: -"Hahahaha, Sometimes when you do the right things, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." Ends with a sound that it just gives you goosebumps.
    I was perplexed, I was like "Daaaaaaaamn!". Pay attention to every quote, pretty much if you are christian, this episode gets you deeply.
    My brother was watching it with me, he just said: "That was powerful." I said "yeah..."
  • Another great episode from this great seaosn!

During a noisy space pirate attack, Bender-trying to find some peace and quiet in the torpedo tube-is launched into interstellar space beyond the reach of Fry and Leela (As they were going top speed when they fired Bender, Bender was therefore going faster than the ship's top speed). After an asteroid crashes into him, a civilization of tiny humanoids ("Shrimpkins") grows on Bender and they begin worshipping him as a god. At first, Bender enjoys his new-found status, and has his followers brew what for them are vast quantities of "Lordweiser" beer (Bender needs alcohol to fuel his power cells). The tiny denizens living on him begin praying for rain, sun, and wealth, and Bender attempts to heed their prayers -- failing comically and harming the Shrimpkins in the process. Eventually, the Shrimpkins who migrated to his backside feel their prayers are unheeded and become atheists. The atheists on Bender's backside threaten war with Bender's loyal worshipers on his chest. However, Bender is horrified at how his earlier attempts to help the Shrimpkins only harmed them, and he refuses to intervene again. The micro-civilization is ultimately destroyed when the front-side and back-side factions launch atomic weapons out of Bender's nuclear pile.

Bender soon meets a cosmic entity who may be the real God. When Bender mentions his experiences with the Shrimpkins, God responds, "I saw... you were doing well until everyone died." He notes that the best way to deal with worshipers is to use a light touch so they will neither lose hope nor become dependent on supernatural intervention.

During this time, Fry and Leela search for a way to contact Bender, which leads them to a sect of secretive monks who use a giant radio telescope to search for God in space. Leela overpowers the monks, and Fry spends the next three days searching for Bender, while the imprisoned monks eat their own shoes for sustinence. Fry finds God by accident, and God flings Bender back to Earth, just as Fry and Leela are leaving the monastery. Bender quickly recounts his tale (simply saying, "first I was God, then I met God") and Fry boasts they "climbed up a mountain and locked up some monks", which reminds Leela that they never let them out. Fry is reluctant to return to the monastary and claims that as monks, God will surely help them (or at least provide them with more shoes to eat.) Bender however, tells them that God cannot be counted on for anything, and demands they rescue the monks themselves. The show cuts back to God, who then chuckles and repeats the advice he gave to Bender: "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
  • When Bender Becomes GOD!!!!

In this episode the crew gets attacked by space pirates and while this is going on benders is sleepin in a torpedo tude they fire at the pirates with Bender and he gets launched into space. While Bender is floating out in space he gets hit by what he thinks is just a small rock. Time goes by and the rock turns into a civilization and little people come out and they woreship him as God. The people suspect him to give them mircles but ever time Bender tried he failded and caused alot of the people to die. Then he supposly meets the real god while floating out in space and he tells Bender that if you do thing right no one will know if you ever did anying at all. While all this is happening Leela and Fry have been trying to find Bender with the Professers smelling scope(it can smell stuff really faraway on different plaints. Then Bender ends of getting a push from God and falls back to earth.
  • an incredibly good episode

In this episode the crew gets attacked by space pirates and Bender is sleeping in a torpedo tube and he gets launched into space.Then while floating through space he gets hit by a small rock that has a civilization living on it.Then he becomes god to them,but they expect him to make to many miracles and they end up destroying themselves.Then Bender meets the real god supposdly and he tells him that if u do things right people won't be sure that you have done anything at all.During all this time Bender is spending in space Fry and Leela go to the biggest telescope on Earth to see if they can find him.Then Bender comes flying right back down to Earth.
  • Bender drifts through space and becomes a god like figure to some tiny aliens.

• This is the one I saw in 2002 and I didn't know the show or the episode's name and now I have been reunited.

This is the one I saw four years ago when I knew the Simpsons and South Park at the time now I've seen it.Bender is talking to God is fine just not as worse as what South park would do.The whole idea of Bender floating through space then Fry and Leela on a another adventure is clever as usual for this show.
  • "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

After a dogfight against space pirates, Bender accidentally gets drifted into endless space. Understanding that he cannot be saved, he looks for entertainment. Meanwhile, Fry is upset for loosing a friend but doesn't loose hope. Bender floating through endless space, to his surprise encounters tiny organisms attached to his body call him the metal God. Bender soon learns that being a god is not an easy job, and that everything his doings have extreme consequences.
    This episode has a most entertaining perspective on God. It is similar to the Simpsons episode: "The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror VII" - "The Genesis Tub" story - where Lisa creates a miniature world and becomes God too.
  • This is a sweet episode.

This episode is really funny. Bender almost dies.

Bender is tired so he takes a nap in torpedo number 3 case. There is space pirates chasing the ship so fry fires torpedo number 3. Bender is fired and they can't catch up to him because they were going full speed when they launched him. A rock hits Bender and there is tiny people on it. They create a whole world on his stomach and back. Bender is the god. He screws everything up and the whole world blows up. Then he finds the real computer god. They talk. Meanwhile Fry is sad. He decides to go up in the mountains to a huge telescope to look for him. The telescope is also a voice transmitter. Fry looks for three days and he can't find him so he gives up. When he leaves he just pushes the telescope and says that he misses Bender. The telescope stopped where Bender was and god sent Bender back to earth. Everything was back to normal again.

I give this episode a 9.3 out of 10.
  • I had seen this for a while on the Top 50 list and I've always wanted to see it, so imagine my excitement when it was on yesterday...

I had seen this for a while on the Top 50 list and I've always wanted to see it, so imagine my excitement when it was on yesterday! Well, it turned out very good. I still can't really tell exactly what I saw in it. It didn't have an extreme amount of humor, but just Bender being so calm about floating through space and having the time of his life being God is great! I've always liked to pretend like I was forced in a place. Sometimes I'd think up comedies that took place at exactly one viewpoint, with the characters stuck in one area, which is exactly what this doeas. Bender, stuck as a God forever...B-E-A-utiful!
  • Possibly my favorite episode

This is very possibly my favorite Futurama episode. I love the show a lot but this one is my favorite of all.

The best part is Bender as God. Such a scenario is fantastic to watch/think about. Maybe its because I'm a strategy game guy (Age of Empires, etc) and like the idea of creating and running a civilization.

Seeing the evolution of Bender's world was hilarious. The different disasters and the ways he messed up. He was still a very tangible and interacting God. He didn't just command from a distance. The coin he flipped landed on the farmland. Great interaction.

The monastery scene (from retrieving the sherpa with the hook and on) was a good subplot that added the usual Futurama humor.

I wish I could write a better review, but this episode, with its plot, characters, animation, and everything, is just fantastic. This is the reason I watch this series.
  • Introduction of God

This episode was a very well written Bender episode with him having a civilisation on himself, becoming God but continuously screwing things up (he was doing so well until everyone died). It was a very quick start, though the episode's timeline went on for weeks with Fry and Leela trying to find Bender, the monks resorting to eating their shoes.
    The ending is hilarious, with Bender actually meeting God who may have been a robot which collided with God. The last line is perfect (If you do something right, people won't know if you've done anything at all). Brilliantly original episode.
  • Bender gets lost in space. While there he both plays God and meets God.

This is a very thoughtful, spiritual, and philosphical episode. Most of the episode involves Bender drifting through space. This however is much more interesting than it sounds. For example, the graphics are great: the effects are alot more than just the standard stars in the background. There's a lot of thought in this episode to do with the presence of God in our lives(or apparent lack thereof). All in all, this episode is a lot more meaningful than your average animated show (it still bugs me that this was canceled!).
  • Bender plays god and meets god all in the same day.

This episode is absolutely amazing. Bender travels hopelessly through space when garbage lands on him bringing a civilization to his chest. The people worship Bender as a god, and he does his best only to screw things up in the end.

Bender eventually meets the real god and an interesting conversation takes place that makes god look... well dumb. The surprise ending was excellent.
  • I love the exploration of Religion and the warm note the episode ends on.

The humor throughout this episode is laugh out loud funny. Bender is one of the greatest characters ever. To see how he handles being a God had me in tears. Trying everything in his power to help and only hurting, then trying nothing, and the world still falls apart is a god lesson.
WGNAMER