Futurama

Jurassic Bark

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Nov 17, 2002 on Comedy Central

• An episode for animal lovers

That ending was beautiful and very sad. The rest was funny, but not especially so--true, for another show it might be top-notch, but for Futurama it's SOP. Not sure what all the fuss is about. Then again, I'm not a big animal lover.
  • Extremly sad episode.

Ive have seen this episode about 10 times always end up crying.
  • Wrong

Jurassic Park is Season 4 episode 7.
  • Shows you the shape of your heart

Its hard to explain an episode which drives you through several emotions in the span of 22 minutes. The highs of laughter, happiness to the lows of loneliness and depression. This is by far the most heart-breaking sweet episode in the series. The episode seems very normal, with the usual antics and general flashbacks to when Fry was in the 90s. Yet the ending is so unexpected and so perfectly done that it will reach out and touch you. The imagery and the song. Perfect. just plain perfect.

BEST. EPISODE. EVER.
  • One of my favorite episodes.

This episode is extremely well written, quite hilarious and overall a great episode. I think that the end was amazingly done and I enjoyed that Futurama was sad once for a change.
  • Fry discovers that his old dog Seymour is fossilized

Fry reads in the newspaper that archaeologists have recreated an old Pizzeria from the 20th Century. He and Bender go to see it and discover that it is in fact Panucci's Pizza, the pizzeria Fry used to work at in 1999. Fry also discovers that the fossilized remains of his old dog Seymour are on display. Fry campaigns to get Seymour back and eventually does, and Farnsworth says he can use the cloning machine to bring Seymour back to life. I thought that this was an excellent episode of "Futurama". It was funny but it was also very sad. I love this episode but sometimes it's hard for me to even watch it because it's so sad especially when a dog that really loves you just waits for you. Right now, I have two wonderful dogs named Snuggles and Lucy. Snuggles is my outside dog (or guard dog since she is tough and brave) and Lucy is my housedog who happens to be the opposite of Snuggles (she is a coward) but I love both of my dogs very much. Anyways, I can see why Fry is so sad. The fact that Fry didn't want to clone Seymour anymore because Seymour lived for 15 years which means that he lived 12 years later after Fry got frozen. The flashbacks of Fry and Seymour were great. Also, the flashbacks of Seymour discovering that Fry is frozen was interesting also. I just wished that when Fry's parents entered the laboratory, they turned around saw their own son Fry frozen. I would have actually wanted to see their reactions of that but it didn't happen sadly. The episode ending with Seymour waiting and waiting for Fry by Panucci's Pizza year after year until Seymour died was very very very sad... I cried big time watch that part and it broke my heart. Overall, I love this episode of "Futurama" but sometimes I don't want to watch it again but it's painful for me to watch...for me at least, I don't know about the other users though. 10/10

• A masterpiece... gives you all that is best about the show. In its sadness and its joy, this episode blends emotion in such a proper way that in one poignant instant you are so drawn in you cannot bear to watch yet are too dazzled to look away.

This episode follows a common track of the Simpsons writers - misdirection. Often in every joke of theirs, they seem to go a normal route when they veer off into a crazy one. Easily enjoyable as a laugh a minute ride, it soon turns into a roller-coaster of emotions. Fulfilling both to the heart and the soul.
    The Episode begins with Fry discovering that his old Pizza place has been unearthed, and with it his old dog, fossilized. His only friend back in the day, Fry gets Dr. Fransworth to agree to clone him. But Fry's overindulgence in his old best friend leaves his new best friend feeling neglected. Bender's efforts to get Fry's attention are very laughable and who can resist a dog singing 'walking on sunshine'. But the denouement comes as a wow. And a fine ending recalling such classics as Dr. Strangelove, this is a standalone episode yet it works so much as an integral part of the Futurama universe. This episode just reaffirms why the series is so beloved. In all its edginess and the abounding humor, the show still has heart. What more can you ask for?
  • Saddest tv episode ever made.

This is the only time a tv show has ever made me curl up into the fetal position and cause my eyes to well up with tears. It was a great episode but I can never watch it again. ever. Every time I see it on tv I have to immediately change the channel. At least there's hope in the future when the writers readdress the story. But that still can't take away the initial sadness. Maybe I'm being too melodramatic but it's this episode's fault. I thought cartoons were suppose to be light-hearted? Damn you Futurama. Probably one of their best episodes in the entire series.
  • Ending always gets me

In this episode, Fry revists a recreation of a pizza parlor form his time, only to find out it's the one where he used to work at, and then he sees his petrified dog! He then tries to get him from the museum, but they refuse to give it to him... so he steals it. Then the professor announces he's made a machine that can bring his dog, Seymour back to life, so fry takes the chance. Then Bender, feeling neglected by Fry, throws Seymour in lava, making Fry cry. And Bender, feeling remorse for what he did, goes into get Seymour. I will not lie, the ending to this episode is one of the saddest ever seen in a television show (maybe ever.) Overall, an all-time favorite of mine, and well worth watching. 10/10 A+
  • Frys pet dog is found fosselised and the proffesser thinks he can bring him back to life.

Yes this is one of the most memorable episodes of the series because its so damn touching. But is that really what "Futurama" is all about?

If I was just judging this episode on its jokes then it wouldn't be one of the better ones, even though there are plenty of funny moments. It's the story that works in this instalments favour, focussing once again on Frys background and the ones he left behind in his own time because he was frozen. We've already seen that he had a brother in the "Luck of the Fryish" episode, which was just as classic as this one, so giving him a dog must of seemed like the best way to go next to create another character driven episode.
  • AHHHHGGG

I HATE being sad, this episode made me the saddest human. DAMN YOU! Stupid Fry, if he just clonned him i'd be happy. but instead it was the saddest show i've seen in my life. O GOD! they didn't have to show that last part. THat closing segment. I hated it. I hated it! I HATED IT!
  • i love emotion

this episode is often considered one of, it not, the saddest episode of futurama. in it, fry sees a fossil of his old dog, Seymour. So he imagines life in the 20th century with Seymour before he got frozen. So Professor Farnsworth reveals he can clone the dog. Bender becomes increasingly jealous and nearly destroys the fossil. In the end, right before he is about to clone the dog, Farnsworth notices the dog lived to be 15, 12 years after Fry got frozen. Fry thinks Seymour would have forgotten him by then, so he decides to not clone him. We then see a montage of Seymour waiting for Fry, until his eventual death.

I may sound like a jerk, but I never found the end to be all that sad. It is sad, but I didn't really consider it sad enough where it made me feel bad or made me cry. Still a remarkable episode
  • It's too sad and hard to watch!

"Jurassic Bark"

Grade: A*

One of the saddest, if not the saddest episode of Futurama. Jurassic Bark always gets me at the end, no matter what and it doesn't help that I had a dog in the past as well! A wonderful episode which flashes back to Fry's past in meeting with a dog named Seymour and how they coped and were good pals back in the 20th century.

Fry discovers a fossiled Seymour and discovers that he can bring him back to life. As Bender gets jealous because of thinking Seymour will be Fry's new best friend, he throws the dog into a pool of lava, but recovers and apologizes afterwards. Then, the clone machine starts and it is discovered that Seymour died at 15 years old, and because of this, Fry feels that Seymour probably moved on and forgotten about him over the years. The sad truth is though, he didn't, and waits and waits for Fry outside the Pizza shop for years and years as he gets older and dies of old age. It's too sad!
  • This is what Futurama can do at their full potential!

Nothing ever combined comedy and tragedy ever so perfectly together! This is what Futurama can do, put together the symphony of the two sides to emotions that can natually come from TV! What a great accomplishment! With the Japanese doggie reference, Seymour, Fry's loyal doggie who him named after delivering to a Prank Call, had waited for Fry's miracle return from the cryogenic chamber for twelve years upon death (Caused by Bender as shown in Bender's Big Score), while in the future, Fry mistook that Seymour had forgotten all about him in twelve years and wrecked the only chance of Seymour's rebirth, the saddest and the funniest (Bender getting Jealous) episode ever created in Cartoon history!
  • One of the most emotional moments in TV history.

If this episode didn't make you cry, than you have no heart. This is the sadest, most emotional episode bar none. I would go as far as to say that this is one of the most emotional moments in TV history! Very few TV shows can pull a feat like this off. They really proved themselves to the fans as a serious TV show. They put a vast majority of jokes that they usually have on hold to show us that this was a raw, emotional show that deserves to be recognized as an immediate classic. If this episode hasn't cemented Futuramas place as a TV classic, than nothing can.
  • After finding out an ancienct pizza parlor has been uncovered Fry finds his dog Seymore fossilized and on display. When he gets Seymore back the Professor attempts to reanimate him.

This is simply the saddest episode of the series. The way it ends with Seymore growing old and waiting for Fry nearly brought tears to my eyes. With flashbacks to the 20th century we see Fry in a new light, with his dog being his only true friend. It kills me that Fry doesnt bring Seymore back to life to rekindle what he had. Plus Bender is simply great with his jealousy. And we all know now that the Daily Growl is not a reputable journal of opinion. Overall I think this is one of the best episodes of Futurama in its enture run.
  • IT WAS SO SAD

Awww this episode is not my favorite but this literally made me cry watching that dog wait out there for so long and fry still hasn't come back it just is soooo sad, it's really old but if i was that dog i would be really really really really really really sad, :'(, I wish they would show this ( futurama the entire series) more often on TV cuz they only place i see it is on comedy central at 10:00. They should show it on Cartoon Network again, that would be awesome, sigh.... that episode was pretty epic lol
  • I was incredibly harsh on this after only having seen it once

This still isn't one of my favourites, as I dislike it when this show goes away from comedy for emotion, and some humour really suffered here as a result. Bender's magician act, for example, was pretty unfunny, and some of Zoidy and the Professor's lines seemed a little laboured. Apart from that, though, this was pretty good. I liked Leela and Amy's thing and Fry's reaction, it was great to get more insight into Fry's life before he was frozen, and the tragic plot was executed beautifully. The way the two plotlines wound together was nice, and there were a few great jokes, especially at the beginning of the future storyline and in the pre-freezing flashbacks, and some cool touches, such as Seymour singing 'Walking on Sunshine' and Nibbler's eye at the cryogenics lab. Bender was generally rather annoying, but he didn't feature too heavily. The final scene was harrowing, and one of the best emotional scenes seen on the show.
  • one of the best futurama episodes

The story starts when news spreads that a model replica of a 20th century pizzeria has been found.Fry protests that it isn`t accurate,but then sees his fossilized dog, Seymour who stands in an exibit.he takes the dog and gets thrown out by guards. But he stages a protest to get his dog back. Then,he gets it back when the scientists finish with him. The Professer says it`s all right to clone him because there is a mucus of doggyness inside him. Fry gets all hyped about Seymour coming back. Bender gets really jealous and buys his own puppy called Robopuppy. Then The Proffesser appears and says to commence cloning. The first attempt is foiled when bender knocked seymour into the lava.
    Bender goes after him.The second time,Fry calls it off due to the fact that he lived a full twelve years after he froze.Then a musical montage shows him waiting for fry until he dies.So sad
  • The best episode of any show ever.

Seymour waits and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits. It is the saddest moment in television history.

Flanas89
  • So very sad,Especially the end when the dog waited 12 years for Fry.

• So sad I am a dog lover and I almost burst out in tears when I saw this episode.

Fry and Bender discover that the exact pizzeria Fry worked at before coming to the 30th century is on display as part of a 20th century exhibit at the Museum of Natural History. Fry is horrified when he sees his dog, Seymour, petrified among the artifacts in the exhibit. Fry reacts with protest and learns that there is a possibility to clone his "best friend" back to life. Bender perceives Seymour as a threat to his friendship with Fry and gets his own Robo-puppy as competition.

So sad almost cried because of the way the episode ended if you like really sad stories this episode is for you.
  • This episode is simply amazing. It has wonderful writing and a classic ending.

To begin with, the parody of the show's name (past-o-rama) is very clever. Furthermore, example of 1990's music (The Hustle) is not too subtle or obvious. Then, as the Seymour story begins, the sadness start up. It is incredibly heart breaking to see a dog waiting for a master who will never return. This has happened at least twice in fairly recent history (the past 150 years). Moreover, it delves more deeply into Bender and Fry's friendship. This episode shows that it is not a one-sided friendship as previously indicated. In conclusion, this episode has both sentimental value for the series, and large amounts of humor.
  • Fry finds the fossil of his dog and wants to clone him.

5.5
    (Spoilers)
    Obviously this is a very poignant episode, and based on the scene where Fry's family comes to get the dog from the Cryogenics lab it's clear the dog is the only one who loves him. Bender jumping in the lava to get the dog showed he had come to terms with Fry's love of his dog and that everything would be all right. So, Fry's abrupt "decision" to stop the machine from cloning his companion was just the writer's way of getting to the ending they wanted. And what an ending. It was so devastating and tragic since Fry assumed his dog lived a happy life after he was gone but the truth was he suffered and grieved for over a decade. This level of tragedy I'd expect in a French film, not a Futurama episode. The dog waited for Fry, endured for Fry for so long. Fry was supposed to help his friend.

Science fiction punishes the rash and the evil by ensuring they face the consequences of whatever they did with the help of science. Similarly, science fiction should reward endurance and sacrifice and values such as friendship and companionship. I hope they "revisit" this storyline in the new episodes starting in 2008 because Fry owes it to his friend to make this right, just as the writers owe it to us.
  • The only episode I will not watch.

It's a terrible thing when you cannot stand to watch your favorite episode of one of your favorite TV shows of all time.

This episode makes me cry. Just thinking about the ending makes me tear up. Every time my DVR records this episode I just have to delete it because I know what will happen when I watch it. Try explaining to your co-workers why you start crying when "Walking on Sunshine" is played on the radio or in a commercial.

It's a typical Futurama episode until the ending. The ending just sets it so far apart and above any other episode that you just cannot help but love it.

My favorite episodes are usually the flashback laden ones such as "Luck of the Fryish" but they all left you with your spirits lifted and feeling good.

I just have to call the ending cruel in an amazing way. It tears at your heart and makes you feel the emotion of what Seymour was going through and the emptiness it leaves you with is just makes it stick with you for years. This is the only TV show, animated or not, that is able to install, for lack of a better term, the emotions into you in such a way that it actually becomes a real part of you.

I need to take my dog for a walk now.
  • Words can not describe the impact this will have on you.

This episode came totally out of the blue, and I mean that in more than one way. I will start comparing again, but only for this outstanding episode. Listen closely here, because I mean this. Although they're excellent, The Simpsons could NEVER do anything like this in a million years, no matter how hard they tried. Futurama is the only cartoon ever (besides The Ren and Stimpy Show) that could ever do something so emotional like this episode. This is the saddest episode, movie....whatever, that I and I'm sure a lot of other people have ever seen. If you're not a fan of Futurama, this will hopefully change your mind, because it sure did for me. By FAR the greatest episode of Futurama, and even The Simpsons. If you have seen this episode, you might agree there is no way of explaining it, you have to see it.
  • My favorite Futurama episode.

The episode was by far the best one out of the bunch - this is where Futurama distinguishes itself from the other series. The ability to create the emotion that it does across an animated, televised medium is incredible.

The perfect mix of humor into this sad storyline ("Professor! Hot!"), I couldn't help myself but tear up at the end when Seymour is waiting and the song "I Will Wait For You" starts up.

Why not a perfect 10? Well, Bender was a little aggravating in this episode. Generally he's only aggravating to the characters in the show. Plus, it did seem as though they tried to fit this into the plot (and not as though they planned it, like the possibility of Nibbler being the one that pushed Fry into the chamber).

Regardless, it was an awesome episode and remains my favorite and I hope the new episodes coming out will be up to these standards.
  • Phenomenal.

Fry makes a crushing discovery; the fossil to his former bestfriend "Seymour" has been found, and the Professor has a way of reviving him through cloning. However, the news about Seymour has Bender upset that he's eventually going to be replaced on Fry's friends list. He gets so upset that he throws the fossil in molten lava. Bender realizes the error of his ways, and attempts to rescue it, which he is successful at. Fry in the end makes the decision not to clone Seymour under the assumption that Seymour has forgotten about him. Fry didn't know that it was the complete opposite.

A magnificent and all around excellent episode. I find that most of these modern animated comedies to be quite funny, though carry within them this dragged out feel that you just want it to end. The episode is rewarded because of the comedy, but it's overall not quite as enjoyable as it should be. This however, eliminates that feeling because of the emotional traits it carries. It starts with the dog itself in Seymour, who displays nothing but love for Fry, as well as simple joys. The ending was such a crushing and depressing blow when Fry decided not to clone his dog, to his ignorance that his dog indeed cared for him his entire life. The ending was really what made it such a great episode.
  • Nibbler and Fry are under the Desk....

Well I don't know if you all know of this.... but if you have seen the Episode "They Why of Fry" you see Fry and nibbler fighting under the desk arguing weather hey should go to the future or not.. well... back to this episode... you can see Nibbler in the Trashcan and as fry is about to fall back.. if you look very closely you can see Fry's and Nibblers Shadow... the weird thing is that this show was done before the other one... creepy huh...
  • If you don't feel sad at the end of this episode, your a cold hearted bast*rd.

This is by far the most emotional episode of the series. Fry reads in the newspaper that archaeologists have recreated an old Pizzaria from the 20th Century. He and Bender go to see it and discover that it is in fact Panucci's Pizza, the pizzeria Fry used to work at in 1999. Fry also discovers that the fossilized remains of his old dog Seymour are on display. Fry campaigns to get Seymour back and eventually does, and Farnsworth says he can use the cloning machine to bring Seymour back to life. Sadly at the end of the episode Fry decides not to clone him because he thinks Seymour forgot all about him, and you see that Seymour dies waiting for Fry.
WGNAMER