Futurama

Love and Rocket

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Feb 10, 2002 on Comedy Central

• A great episode with a touching ending

"Love And Rocket"

Grade: A-

I personally like this episode alot. Although most consider it average, I think the episode uses all the characters very well, and Bender was being his usual self, and when he dates the Planet Express ship, he comes out with some very funny moments. I liked the idea of Bender pretending to be interested in the ship, and all of a sudden dumping it at the same time. It was in character and a funny thing for him to do, though the primary reason why I like this episode alot is because of the final act.

The episode starts off strongly by making a delivery from Romanticorp to Omicron Persei 8. The Omicronians receive candy hearts for Valentine's Day, confused by the messages displayed on the candy. As the crew escape from attack, Bender dumps the ship and hurt's her feelings, causing the ship to get hit. Bender tries to distract her so that Fry and Leela can shut the ship's brain down so they can have full control over the ship again. One of my favourite scenes of the entire show is present in this episode, in which Fry sacrifices his own oxygen to keep Leela alive, and after being revived, is holding the perfect heart candy message in his mouth saying "U Leave Me Breathless". I thought this was perfect for building up the Fry and Leela character development, and found it very touching. Overall, I'm going to give this episode a 9/10, with Bender delivering most of the jokes, yet being quite touching too on the Fry and Leela side of the story.

• A romantic episode.

This episode was pretty good. But, I didn't like the Bender/Ship story. I really liked the Fry/Leela thing. "You take my breath away," that was the best thing ever. It was so sweet, and it also made you laugh. What a great combination. I didn't love the episode, but I liked it, I guess. The Ship was annoying. Really annoying. I just hated her. It was extremely annoying, and probably why I gave this episode an eight and not something higher like an 8.5 or a 9. Overall, an okay episode of Futurama, but not one of the best for sure. Not by a long shot.
  • funny episode

I like a dump to be as memorable as it is devastating"
    "This concept of wuv confuses and infuriates me"
    These are just two of the many hilarious quotes in this valentines episode. Romanticorp was disgusting and therefore hilarious as was the omicronians getting confused by the word "wuv". The Fry and Leela plotline was another teaser storyline as you feel like when Fry swaps Leela's empty oxygen tank for his, after swallowing the perfect candy slogan, that they would get together, however, it doesn't happen.
    The main plot of Bender and the Planet Express Ship was disturbing yet very creative with great scenes such as the zoo scenes with animals such as "howler mummies". A very good episode for Valentines day.
  • A Valentines Day episode that had its ups and downs.

Professor Farnsworth secures a lucrative contract with Romanticorp, the company known for making heart shaped candies with sayings on them. With the contract, the Professor is now able to make upgrades, including a new female voice for the Planet Express ship. Bender is so enamored by it, that him and the ship soon become an item. Then, just as quickly, Bender gets sick of her and ends up breaking up with her. The ship goes insane with jealousy and grief and puts the crew's lives in danger.

A topsy turvey episode that had some funny parts, but it was reall boring at some parts.
  • Unforseen troubles are encountered when upgrades are made to the Planet Express ship.

After securing a new contract the Professor is able to make new upgrades to his spaceship. One of these being the computers voice now being feminine. Bender and the Planet Express ship soon start a romance, which Bender tires of quickly and dumps the Planet Express ship.

The scenes of the crew visiting Romantic Corp to win the contract are very funny. Especially with the Profeessor using and threatening to use the cattle prod like device he is carrying around. In the vein of HAL and the 2001 : A space Odyssey the Planet Express ship places the crews lives in danger if Bender does not return to her.
  • Love not rockets

This episode was pretty funny. Its about the delivery team getting a space pilot programed into the wall that pilots the ship. Its starts off as a man voice as the space pilot and Bender does not like the attidude of the pilot so lela changes the voice and the personalty of pilot. And it is a women personality and Bender falls in love with the ship and they start going out for a few days or weeks. And if you know Bender he does not go out with people for very long so he starts cheating on her. She finds out while they are on a delivery and turns off the oxygen and they half to get Bender to talk to her will they shut her down and they finally succeed. Like I said it wasnt that funny of a video but it is funny how the ship turns evil and tries to kill them all.
  • This is a sweet episode.

This episode isn't that funny, but is still really good. Fry almost dies in this episode.

The professor signs a contract with a company called Romanticorp. It is a company that makes candy heart. Fry, Leela and Bender's job is to deliver the hearts. The professor gets enough money to get a new personality for the ship. It's a girl. Bender starts going out with the ship. After about three days, Bender wants to break up with her. Later, Fry, Leela and Bender have a delivery. They deliver two sacks of candy hearts to Lrrr, leader of Omicron Persei 8. He gets really mad just because a candy heart says "wuv". He starts chasing them and firing lasers at them. Bender chooses to dump the ship in the middle of the fight. The ship gets so mad that she drives towards a black hole so Bender and the ship will be compressed together and she turns off the oxygen. Leela and Fry get space suits with oxygen tanks on them. Leela has an idea. She has to turn the ship off manually, but Bender has to distract the ship. Bender asks the ship to merge there programs (merging programs is when two robot's become one). While Bender is doing that, Leela and Fry are shutting down the ship. Leela is running out of oxygen, so Fry gives her all of his oxygen. Once Leela is done she turns the oxygen on, she see's what Fry did. She gives Fry CPR and Fry comes back to life. He coughs up a candy heart that says "you leave me breathless".

I give this episode a 9.2 out of 10.
  • Introduction of Romanticorp

"I like a dump to be as memorable as it is devastating"
    "This concept of wuv confuses and infuriates me"
  • A credit to Futurama.

This is an excellent vehicle for a number of sci-fi references that were bound to fall under the ever-satyrical eyes of Futurama writers eventually. Planet Express ship is well voiced and I'll never forget "her" waking Fry up while looking for Bender. All the 2001 references you'll ever need and a hundred other jokes make this one of the best Valentine's Day episodes of any show I've ever seen.

Dr. Zoidberg's monologue at the very end of the episode is keenly reminiscent of the end of a Shel Silverstein poem about a child who lists the plethora of reasons keeping her from going to school until... "What's that you say? Today is Saturday? Goodbye, I'm going out to play." Maybe I've just been exposed to too much media and it's all blending together, or perhaps it was intentional. The world may never know.