Futurama

Raging Bender

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Feb 27, 2000 on Comedy Central

• Introduction of Destructor

This episode was great the whole way through especially after we find out Ultimate Robot Fighting is a sham ("I always thought Ultimate Robot Fighting was real like professional wrestling. But now I've found out that it's a sham like professional boxing"). The Gender Bender is a hilarious idea and the great twist that Bender does win when Destructor gets KO'd but falls on Bender and therefore wins. The brain slugs were hilarious too especially Fry's which died ("Poor thing starved to death"). Farnsworth not realising that Bender had knocked out Destructor and the movie screen had gone blank saying "they don't make movies like this anymore" was a terrific senility joke. All in all, this was a very amusing episode.
  • hillarious episode

• Bender joins the world of prizefighting

After picking a fight with another robot in a movie theatre, Bender accidentally knocks him out. The other robot turns out to be a professional fighter from the Ultimate Robot Fighting league and whats more it the fight was witnessed by a URF manaager.

He signs Bender as one of his fighters and Bender quickly becomes a crowd favourite. The league turns out to be fixed with the most popular fighter always winning each match, and when Bender is asked to throw his next match he turns to Leela to help train him so that he can win his next fight. Leela only agrees to help him when she discovers the other robots trainer is her old mentor who never really believed in her.
  • Bender becomes a robot fighter.

Fry, Leela, Amy, Bender, Professor Farnsworth, and Zoidberg decide to go see a movie. They decide to go see "All My Circuits: The Movie". While the are watching the movie, Bender gets obnoxious and gets the robot in front of him riled up. The robot looks like he is a geek, but then transforms into one of the robot fighters. Bender spills some of his oiled popcorn and the robot fighter slips on it and falls knocking him out cold. The man that runs robot fighting just happens to have been in the audience and wants Bender to become a robot fighter.
  • superb

What I liked: Hermes' brain slug, Fry's brain slug dying because it starved, Bender cowardly saying 'see you at the fight', Leela's old teacher telling her he would "See her in Girl Hell. I'll be in Boy Hell. Much nicer!", the movie at the beginning, amongst other things.

Decent episode. Not one of their best but it certainly was an enjoyable way to spend a half hour of my time, and it is one I would definitely rewatch again. B+ or so for this episode seems fair, I'd say
  • An odd, but Hialrious episode to say the absolute least.

At the morning Planet Express meeting, the crew discovers Hermes has been assimilated by the brain slugs. To avoid Hermes' slack-jawed stare and being assimilated themselves, the rest of the staff takes off for the movies.

While watching All My Circuits, The Movie, Bender picks a fight with a robot that turns out to be Ultimate Robot Fighting champion The Masked Unit. The Masked Unit trips on Bender's oil-soaked popcorn, and is knocked out by the fall. Coincidentally, the commissioner of Ultimate Robot Fighting is at the movie, and hires Bender on the spot.

After training with Leela, Bender has his first fight against a chainsaw-equipped robot called The Clearcutter. By a stroke of luck, Bender defeats his opponent, causing The Clearcutter to explode into a pile of parts. However, Bender runs into the robot backstage, and the commissioner reveals that Ultimate Robot Fighting is fixed, and that the most popular robot always wins.

Bender spurns further training from Leela, and proceeds to win several fights, but eventually his popularity wanes, and he is told that he can either take a dive in his new role as 'The Gender Bender', or be killed by his giant opponent, Destructor. Bender asks Leela for help, but she initially refuses. When she discovers that Destructor is being trained by Arcturan kung-fu Master Phnog, she changes her mind. The male chauvinist and sexist Master Phnog had ruined Leela's dream of competing in the Arcturan Kung-fu junior championships years ago, and Leela still holds a grudge.

While Bender is being thrashed by Destructor (Bender asks Fry to throw in the towel he finds out that Fry has a Brain Slug on his head -- it is found dead at the end), Leela discovers that Destructor is being controlled remotely (using motion capture and virtual reality) by Phnog. They proceed to fight, but just as Funog is winning, Leela uses Phnog's own fist to force Destructor to punch him, knocking them both out. Destructor, however, fell on and flattened Bender, thus winning the match anyway. After the fight, Fry and Leela roll up the flattened Bender and carry him home.
  • Odd...

This was an odd episode. I'm still not sure how much I liked it. Sure, it was funny, but it was also just plain weird. Bender was strange during the episode, and I'm not really sure how much I liked the plot or the episode. It WAS funny, as all episodes of Futurama are, though.

Since this episode is impossible for ME to describe, I will just allow TV.com to describe it for me:

While at the movies, Bender accidentally knocks out a champion of the Ultimate Robot Fighting League. He then enters the world of pro wrestling, discovering that the competition is rigged and the most popular robot always wins. Bender's career soars until he is asked to lose his next fight to an up-and-coming robot.
CW