Futurama

Comedy Central (ended 2013)

QuackIV

Futurama Fan Reviews page 8 of 34

• WHY DID THEY CANCEL FUTURAMA? Bring it back lads!

I'm still puzzled why a show as great as this was ever cancelled if any Groening cartoon should be cancelled Simpsons is the obvious choice. Futurama was actually funny and had no stupid filler episodes! The characters are superb and it deserves the fame it has now achieved, Zoidberg is a legend and only a genius could have come up with the idea of him. Zapp Brannigan always cracks me up and he's even funnier when combined with Kiff. Without this show i wouldn't be a fan of Groening at all. The Simpsons is sometimes hilarious but theres too much episodes with meanings and boring filler. Recently the standard of writing has also gone down but this is no Simpsons review so back to Futurama. When I saw on the old tinternet the other day a new Futurama dvd i was quite excited this could be a return of one of the best cartoons not for kids! It's just hilarious, I have watched every episode about five times and still love them all so again I am forced to ask why? Why cancel a show as good as this?
  • A glimpse into our future...are we in trouble or what.

Phillip Fry, mild mannered, under-appreciated delivery by, finds himself 1000 years into the future, where New York city is now New New York City, robots walk, talk, and drink beer, space travel is common, and mutants and aliens roam Earth freely. From Matt Groening, creator of the Simpsons, comes this delightful romp of a show we call Futurama. These episodes are very much like the Simpsons in that they offer us humouress, satirical view points on today's life, while balancing it out with outright silliness. The gags come at you in hyper-warp-light speed, and the delightful cast of zanny characters makes the show ever so funny. In addition to Fry, there are his friends and colleagues, which include the pathetic and incompitent Dr. Zoiberg, Fry's ancient befuddled mad-scientist descendant, Prof. Farnsworth, the abrassive, alcoholic, and cleptomaniac robot Bender, and the lovely and independent Leela, who would be taken more seriously if she had more than one eye. And don't worry about not having a plethora a famous guest stars, because thanks to technology, their heads live on in nice, comfy jars.

So sit back, open up a can of Slurm cola (and don't think about where it comes from), turn on "All My Circuits", or go out to Madison Cube Garden to catch the Blernsball game with special national anthem singer Brittney Spears' head, and enjoy the 31st Century.
  • Great Show

Futurama, a cartoon brought to us by The Simpsons creator Matt Groening, follows the life of a pizza delivery boy named Phillip J. Fry. Fry, as he is referred to on the show, accidentally freezes himself in the year 1999 only to be thawed out one thousand years later. Upon emerging from his cryogenic state, Fry finds himself in a time made up of flying cars, intergalactic travel, and a melting pot society that has grown to include interplanetary species. Left to fend for himself in a strange new setting, Fry renews his status as a delivery boy by joining the staff of Planet Express, Corp., a parcel delivery company that coincidentally is owned by his Great, Great, etc... Nephew Hubert J. Farnsworth. It is at Planet Express, Corp. that Fry meets and befriends the other major players of the show including Leela, the ship's cycloptic captain, Bender, a robot with an affliction for alcohol, Dr. Zoidberg, a lobster-clawed crustacean doctor with a gigantic appetite, Hermes, the seemingly Rastafarian business manager, and Amy the intern who is the daughter of wealthy Martian ranchers. Hilarity ensues as Fry, with the help of his new co-workers/friends, tries to navigate a strange new time that is void of past family, friends, and strangely enough, anchovies. They need to make new episodes!!!!
  • A great show

Futurama is an overall good show its also very funny and entertaining. Its about Fry who lived in 1999 and he fell into a freeze machine set for 1000 years next thing he knoes hes in the year 3000. I think Futurama has a good plot and I havent seen an episode that ever disapointed me.
    In the show theres all sorts of alien species and they have to deliver stuff to all their planets. I think one of the funniest things on the show is the proffesor because his personality is just funny since he atleast 160 years old which i guess is young there.
  • wicked awesome.

This is a great show. This show is about a guy named Phillip J. Fry who accidentally fell into a cryogenic tube and got sent to the future. Fry wakes up on the day of December 31 2999, one day before the year 3000. He meets a one eyed girl named Lela, a robot named Bender, his great, great, great, ect. nephew called Hubert Farnsworth, a bureaucrat called Hermies, a girl from mars named Amy Wong, and a lobster docter called doctor Zoidberg. Fry got a job at his nephew's package delivery company called Planet express. Find out the other adventures of Fry, Lela, and Bender when you watch futurama.
  • better than the simpsons and family guy combined.

surethe simpsons are great, but it cannot compare to futurama. futurama is much more creative an is more interesting. the characters are more developed. interm you can tell why i feel futurama is better. well futurama is a great show. it has hilarious characters like fry and bender. all of them who which live in the year 3000. it is so interesting watching the episoides. i just love to see the creativity. on how they do things. like how they made fun of the show the twilight zone. they creative showed how the twilight zone would be in the 22nd century. all in all this show is classic. it is a shame that they canceled it. they should bring it back to where they are making new episoids.
  • A very solid and funny show. I can't wait for its return on Comedy Central!

Matt Groening's second animated series, Futurama is an underappreciated cartoon. It was most likely overlooked by its sci-fi feel and the fact that it was eclipsed by the mega-popular Simpsons. You don't need to be a sci-fi fan to like this show. There's also a lot of tearjerker moments between Fry and Leela. Being set in the year 3000, anything can happen, which makes it so interesting to watch. The show first aired in 1999, about the time The Simpsons was declining in quality. But The Simpsons continued airing and Futurama eventually went off air in 2003. Luckily, due to high ratings on Adult Swim and high DVD sales, Futurama is back in 2008 on Comedy Central! Long live Futurama!
  • Great show and I miss it. If you have not seen it, give it a try.

I admit that I did not watch the show initially, mostly because FOX advertised it poorly. The advertisements for the show made it seem too silly and a low grade animated show reaching for laughs. The show turned out to be much better than the Simpsons. It had more adult humor and less whinny characters the Simpsons has that dulled it down too much to teach us all a lesson. Futurama is a great show that rarely has an episode that is dull. Bender is good but to me the professor is the best character in this show. May not be for everyone but of the many shows to give a chance this one deserves a look.
  • I personally like it better than "The Simpsons"

Don't get me wrong, I like the Simpsons, but there is just something about Futurama that I like more. While the later episodes of The Simpson's have suffered, Futurama has matured, far more quickly than the Simpson's did, into a fantastic work of animation. The similarities between the Simpson's are obvious and not to be ignored. Bender is the Homer Simpson, devoid of responsibility, yet, as this lack of responsibility is placed in a robot, we do not have to feel anger at his wayward ways. As with The Simpson's, Groening has given us a host of superb background characters. Zoidberg the lobster Doctor, Amy daughter of money, Hermes the Jamaican limbo champion who keeps the business together and of course Zap Brannigan, the genius of lacklustre. All of these characters are easily the match of Chief Wiggum, Smithers, Krusty, Frink, etc. Groening, clearly by taking the best writers from the Simpson's with him when he jumped ship, has done the impossible and found an animated series that is superior to the unsurpassable Simpson's. Groening's world is a good one. And so is his show.
  • A great show!

I love Futurama! I can't wait until it comes back in February 2008 in the form of 16 episodes made out of the DVDs. Futurama is a great show, my third or fourth favorite to be exact. ATHF is my #1 favorite. Yeah, it's my fourth because 12 oz. Mouse is my third, Squidbillies second. Futurama is a classic. The only episode I haven't seen is Birdbot of Ice-Catraz. I'm pretty sure it's good, though. My favorite character of the show you ask? Bender. My favorite episode of the show you ask? I Dated a Robot. I love parts of that episode. I like the Futurama openings.
  • greoning youve done it again

the show that set in the year 3000 its about a 20 somthing pizza delivery guy named fry who was sent to deliver a pizza in a gryogenics lab and is accidently frozen for 1000 years and is now in the year 3000 he works in a delivery company with a sarcastic chain smoking boozing robot , a sensible cyclops , a anal jamacaican bureacrat. and a incomptent crusctacean. where they are sent on countless missons to dangerous planets where they have no chance of surviving the show has it all its a show thats littaraly ahead of its time and i say what I said before greoning you have done it again
  • Futurama, set in the next millennium

Futurama, set in the next millennium, follows the exploits of Fry, a pizza delivery boy who was cryogenically frozen by accident for 1,000 years; Leela, a female cyclops; Bender, an immoral robot, and others as they work for an intergalactic delivery service owned by Fry's great, great, great... nephew, Professor Hubert Farnsworth. Other crew members include a Jamaican beaurecrat Hermes Conrad, an incompetent crustacean-like doctor, John Zoidberg, a normal looking Martian intern, Amy Wong and Scruffy, the Janitor.

Futurama is Matt Groening's second foray into prime time with an animated series, the first one being The Simpsons.

Futurama has also spawned a highly successful comic series, Futurama Comics which will be going into its fourth year this January. Futurama is a hilarious cartoon which shows what a grim future the year 3000 will bring with malfunctioning technology, alien invasions and suicide booths on every block.

Emmy Awards

2000 - Outstanding Individual Achievement in Animation for episode "A Bi-Clops Built for Two"

2001 - Outstanding Individual Achievement in Animation Rodney for episode "Parasites Lost"

2002 - Outstanding Animated Program (For Programming Less Than One Hour) for episode "Roswell That Ends Well"

Emmy Nominations

1999 - Outstanding Animated Program (For Programming One Hour or Less) for episode "A Big Piece of Garbage"

2001 - Outstanding Animated Program (For Programming Less Than One Hour) for episode "Amazon Women in the Mood"

2003 - Outstanding Animated Program (For Programming Less Than One Hour) for episode "Jurassic Bark"

2004 - Outstanding Animated Program (For Programming Less than One Hour) for episode "The Sting"

2004 - Outstanding Music & Lyrics for episode " The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings"

Although the show is no longer in production, it can still be seen on the Cartoon Network's Adult Swim programming block, where it has enjoyed great ratings.

Due to these high ratings, four direct to dvd movies will be made, the first to come out Xmas 2007 and they will air in 2008 on Comedy Central as 16 separate episodes.

If the ratings/dvd sales are high enough, there will be hope to bring Futurama back for a fifth production season.
  • Philip j fry gets frozen for a thousand years and wakes up in year 3000 and gets a job at planet express his workmates bender, leela, zoidberg, and farnsworth all contribute to caotic comedy.

it is a very good show in my opinion.. it has great characters and some of the best laugh out loud lines in any show!!!. It has a story and reasons for why things happen its not just some pointless cartoon that only lives for the fact that its funny. Im not saying its not super funny but its more than that. All the characters have interesting backgrounds which is what makes you attached to them. i think its a good show worth watching and you should try watching it, its really funny and has romantic tension and even some cool action.
  • A show with potential

This show had the potential to surpass "The Simpsons" but sadly for things of money it was canceled. Hopefully the rumors are true, and we might be able to see some new episodes of futurama next year. Its difficult to wait, but it'll be worth it.
    Original show different from "The Simpsons" humor. unlike family guy that has copied most of their jokes from the Simpsons, Futurama has their own original storylines, and is intended for a more mature kind of audience. Futurama, didn't need the necessity of racial jokes like many other shows. their jokes were from someone's everyday life. One could see themselves in some of that characters. Futurama lets you know how fun every day life is, and also the problems that it puts in our roads everyday. I'll give this show a 10/10 and even say that if we would have seen more episodes, it would have surpass the Simpsons success on TV.
  • Well,most of us love Futurama right?Crazy bender,From the past fry,and one eyed lye.Each episode is Unique in a way.This sort of reminds me of another show called SeinFeild.Anyway,I Think you Should Watch Futurama...

Well,most of us love Futurama right?Crazy bender,From the past fry,and one eyed lye.Each episode is Unique in a way.This sort of reminds me of another show called SeinFeild.Anyway,I Think you Should Watch Futurama.Anyway Futaram first started off when fry got frozen in a wierd time space place.He got a prank call telling him to deliver a pizza there.He got frozen for 1000 years and when he was unfrozen it was the year 2999.He lost a lot of things during that time.His dog,friends,family,and a whole lot of other stuff.Anyway the pilot Episode started it off but what really got me addicted to keep watching the show was the second and third episode.I really think you should watch this show.
  • "Futurama" is a great show. I am appalled that Rupert Murdoch let the show go off the air. It's about high time that the series be resurrected.

I am glad to hear that Comedy Central is planning to revive "Futurama". It is a decent program as compared to "Family Guy". Rupert Murdoch and the executives at Fox only care about their own interests, not the interests of television viewers. "Futurama" is clean television, as opposed to "Family Guy". I think "Family Guy" should be either cleaned up or cancelled, preferably the latter. Comedy Central needs to be commended for taking the initiative and attempting to reach a new audience. By placing the show on Comedy Central, the problem of preemption may be avoided. On Fox, the time slot for "Futurama" led to conflicts with sportscasters. Rupert Murdoch is evil!!!
  • Matt Groening's best work

When someone hears they name Matt Groening they usually think of his immensely popular, and long time airing show, The Simpsons. While The Simpsons is a a great show, Futurama is a great deal better. The premise of the show is original, and is makes for amazing plots and sub-plots. The humor used is amazing not only because it uses the straight up belly-rolling humor, but also alludes to real world things. It is a very intelligent show, and can be appreciated by even the most up tight person. Futrama is an amzing show, and if you haven't already seen it you should try and watch it some time. If you don't like it, but have only seen it once or twice, you should try watching it some more. It seems the more you watch it the better it gets. It is really a great show, maybe one of the best animated TV shows ever created.
  • literally,,

This show is one of my absolute favorites. The idea of someone slipping into the year 3000, and as funny as he did it, that is genious. I love the hilarious cast of characters such as Bender, Leela, Fry, Amy, and all the rest. I like watching it on adult swim every night it comes on, and strangely, like it was a soap opera or something, i liked to watch the relationship between Leela and Fry grow stronger and stronger. I think they should bring this show back, and continue the episodes. It is a true Classic and literally ahead of its time.
  • An funny TV comedy from The Simpsons' own Matt Groening

It is a very,VERY funny show; I love better than the Simpsons (I am sorry to all Simpson fans). My favorite character (and only favorite character from the WHOLE show) is the lovable Martian cutie Amy Wong (she is Asian; but her family lives on Mars). The funny sayings that I like from the show are Hermes' "Sweet Something of Something!" (from many episodes of course) and also Bender the robot's "Bite My Shiny Metal Ass!" I also would like to say, that the ALL robots in this show are very funny, are were the reason I love the 20th Century Fox CGI film "Robots." So all-in-all,I give this show gets a BIG thumbs up from me.
  • Futurama is fantastic,funky,funny and of course futuristic,everything you need in a top class series.

I am a massive futurama fan,and in my eyes i think it's way better than it's partner the simpsons.The simpsons has so many characters the annoy the hell out of me,but futurama characters are all top class and all great.If you have never seen futurama before,it's basically all about a man called fry who accidently gets sent 1000 years into the future while making a pizza delivery.Now that's he's in the future he get's into some crazy situations with his new found friends bender the bending robot,who loves to drink,smoke and do everything that's bad or immoral.And leela the female cyclops who is not to be messed with,as she's a master at kicking ass.....heeeyaaa.After a short while living in the future he get's a job as a courier on a spaceship along with new friends bender & leela.This is where new characters like Professor Farnsworth,Dr Zoidberg,Amy wong and many others come into the story.If you have never seen futurama before i suggest you do.As you'll love it,it's sore stomach laughing funny.With great characters and stupidly funny episodes,it's everything you need.
    thanks
  • Great Show

this is a really good show that is ahead of us! it shows wat it might be like in the future! its like wow!! really like wow!! yeah wow!! Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow!! haha!! its totalyy crazy like and awesome!! yeah soo awesome!! it awesome... but not as awesome as sum other shows!! but still awesome!!! awesome and wow!! awesome and wow!! awesome and wow!! awesome and wow!! awesome and wow!! yeah so awesomely wow!! awesome and wow!!awesome and wow!!awesome and wow!!awesome and wow!!awesome and wow!!awesome and wow!!awesome and wow!!awesome and wow!!awesome and wow!!awesome and wow!!awesome and wow!!awesome and wow!!awesome and wow!!awesome and wow!!awesome and wow!!awesome and wow!!awesome and wow!!awesome and wow!!awesome and wow!!awesome and wow!!awesome and wow!!awesome and wow!!
  • The future is exactly how I imagined it

Futurama starts with Fry a VERY stupid pizza boy being frozen by 'accident'. 1000 years later he wakes up and sees the world has changed tremendously. In a totally new world like anyone ells he needs money and so he becomes friends with Leela the one eyed girl, Bender the immoral robot and his new boss Professor Hubert Farnsworth. Fry now works as an intergalactic delivery service boy and as he and his new friends go by their daily lives they come up against weirdest things like talking heads or weird new creatures. Now that Fry finally has found a place that he belongs he is happy and he maybe has a crush on Leela the one eyed girl. After the show being cancelled I was very disappointed but now that it's coming back I really recommend you to watch the previous episodes before the new ones start.
  • Bring it back!

I don't have much to say, but Futurama was as good as it gets. Incredibly smart and fun. Fox made a very poor decision in canceling the show. I hope to see more episodes get made soon. I have a prized Bender wind-up robot on my window sill to remind me of how much I miss this show! I admit when I first checked the show out.... I dismissed it for being too earnest in it's cleverness, but on my second glance I realized that I had not given it enough attention. If you are a fan of Douglas Adams you may find the spirit of his work here.
  • For the second time in history, Matt Groening comes with a great cartoon.

Futurama is one of those few shows that chooses that one outlandish premise(i.e. being in the future) and makes it funny and not old. The whole premise is that a guy named Fry gets frozen by "accident" and ends up in the year 3000. It is the opposite of what he expected. He winds up getting a job from his great-great-great-etc. nephew. Our cast of characters has Leela, Bender, Zoidberg, Hermes, Amy, and Professor Farnsworth. Unlike the Simpsons and most of the animated sitcoms now, Futurama has some little side arcs that fit into the character's backstories(why Fry was in the future, who were Leela's parents, etc.). It managed to wrap those up just before the "last" season. And for those of you who don't know, the "last" season isn't the last. Futurama is coming back. Hope y'all like it.
  • Futurama" is an animated comedy featuring the voices of Billy West (as Fry), Katey Sagal (as Leela) and John Di Maggio (as Bender). The show is about the adventures of a pizza delivery boy who is frozen in 1999 and defrosted 1,000 years later.

Futuram may possible the best animated show out i mean how many sci-fi based cartoon shows were this well made, or even came close to being this funny? And not only did it have humor, there was real drama-- it wasn't usually very serious, but it did have moments of sadness, romance, philosophy and all that other stuff you'd expect from a real storyteller. In general, for an entertaining treatment of the mysteries of time, space, and technology, (with a heavy dose of Simpsons-style social commentary) Futurama is the best out there... And where else can we see the hypno-toad? There is no daught this is one of the fantastic animationed cartoons of are time with the mix of amazing characters and the crazyness of the future, this show will leave you wishing they had carried on the series forever!
  • futurama is about a guy named fry he is a pizza Delivery Boy at Panucci's pizza in the 20th Century then while making a delivery he falls into a Cryogenic chamber and wakes up in the year2999 and everyone he has ever know is dead and he thinks its great

futurama is about a guy named fry he is a pizza Delivery Boy at Panucci's pizza in the 20th Century then while making a delivery he falls into a Cryogenic chamber and wakes up in the year 2999 and he goes around with turanga leela the captain of the planet express ship and Bender Bending Rodriguez he is the best characters on the show he is the smartass robot everyone wanted when u were a kid he drinks and smokes and laughs at everyones problems you also have professor fransworth who is 160 years old and is frys great great and so on nephew. Dr Zoidbreg who know absolutely nothing about humans. Amy Wong her mother and father own mars it was the best thing on tv for a long time but it was canceled but it's coming back it's going to be on comedy central the first one 2 be aired is going 2 be Futurama Bender's Big Score! then Futurama Into the Wild Green Yonder Futurama Bender's Game Futurama The Beast with a Billion Backs u can get the seasons 1-4 on dvd if u want 2 see it in order from start to the last episode or u can watch it on cartoon network aka [adult swim ] i hope u enjoy this show as much as i do thx.
  • Robots, aliens, humans, and OWLS? Futurama has all this and more. An amazing animated sci-fi comedy that will have you rolling in the laughter. Join Fry, Leela, and Bender on their weekly adventures in... PACKAGE DELIVERY?

Futurama begins with Phillip J Fry in the year 1999. Though life may have been mediocre as a New York pizza delivery boy, destiny drew him to the future. An "accidental" fall into a cryogenics tube sent Fry to the year 3000, where the scene of New New York was all but familiar to him.

As he awoke, he fought with the idea of being assigned a job and fled. In the process, he found a loveable rascal of a robot named Bender, and fled to the ruins of Old New York, just beneath the surface of New New York.

Although it may have been a stroll down memory lane, Fry was brought back to the future when Turanga Leela, from the cryogenics office, came to assign Fry his new job. But seeing his distress and confusion with the future, Leela shows mercy on Fry joins him and Bender on a quest for employment.

Digging through the family lineage, they found that Fry had one surviving great (to the tenth degree) nephew, Hubert Farnsworth. Farnsworth,an old senile type, just so happens to have a space ship and is in need to hire a crew (don't ask about the previous crew though). With the grace of his great nephew, the three new friends become the new crew for Planet Express, a delivery company.

This show is jam packed with laughs, as well as a whymsical look of the future (i.e. talking heads in jars, transport tubes, mutants below the surface). Futurama is an excellent "retrospecticus" of the late 1990's, early 2000's. Oddly enough, it can only be told from the year 3000. A MUST SEE!
  • sweet

Ive seen the future and its called futurama. Its about a man named philip j fry who is accidentally frozen and sent in to the year 3000. He soon meets bender a bending robot leela a mutant cyclops who thinks she is an alien for an extinct race his great great great great great great you get the point nephew hermes a jamaican buerocrat and former olympics limboer amy a filthy filthy rich martian intern Dr zoidberg a lobster like alien who is broke and knows nothing about human anatomy and nibbler a strange alien creature who it is revealed froze fry.
  • I honestly can never get tired of this show.

Admittedly, I never really watched the show while it was on FOX. Not because I didn't like it but just because I just never really made the effort to. I do fall into the category of those whose fell in love with the show once it started airing on Adult Swim, so criticize if you want, but whatever.

The truth is, this show has become one of my all time favorite shows. It's the perfect blend of low brow humor and smart humor. Plus it has it's fair share of interesting stories and intriguing characters. I'm not the kind of person to watch a movie or a particular episode a ton of times, but I can honestly say I've seen every episode at the very least twice and still watch it nightly to this day. There's just something about it.

It's an excellent show that i hope one day gets the Family Guy treatment, beyond just direct to DVD movies and rehashed episodes from those movies. Although i admit I'm crazy excited for those.
  • So awesome!

How much time have I wasted watching reruns of Futurama, even though I know ever line and have seen the episodes a 100 times before? I don't really know, but Futurama has been hands down my most watched show ever. I keep watching it to see new things in the backround even though there never is. So when I heard that the whole gang would be returning to make new episodes for Comedy Central and those episodes would be 4 movies...or vise versa. I was stoked, now I can't wait to see the new stuff even though I'm afraid it will be the overstylized trying-too-hard comedy of the new Family Guy.
    Briefly, I love the Futurama, because it was a project that let Matt Groening really have fun. The Simpsons had become stale when Futurama was released and Futurama took it's place however briefly as the flagship of Fox animation. I was sad to see Futurama go.
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12