Futurama

Roswell That Ends Well

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Dec 09, 2001 on Comedy Central

• Wait, which crazy thing happening are you guys screaming about?

Everything about this episode is perfect, down to the shots. It's VERY funny, and it's classic Futurama. It doesn't have the emotional connection of "The Late Philip J. Fry," but I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • Back to the Past

Fry's antics land him in 1947 Roswell, where Zoidberg is placed in area 51 and Fry must keep his grandfather from dying so that he wont cease to exist. Overall, a brilliant episode. Groening plays with time verily. The ingenious use of history and time travel paradoxes give us one of the most humorous episodes in Futurama's history.
  • Fry does the nasty in the pasty!

Grade AAA

In this episode the Planet Express crew are watching a supernova and end up time travelling back to the 1940s in Roswell. Bender's Body and Zoidberg are captured, Farnsworth and Leela go looking for a Microwave to return to the future, and Fry tries to prevent his grandfather Enos from gettin killed. In a bizarre twist, he ends up killing his grandfather in an explosion and ends up sleeping with his grandmother, sickening the others. After screwing up, the crew steal the Microwave dish, escape, and find Bender's head 1000 years under the desert. Funny, touching, well written, and disgusting. Roswell That Ends Well has it all!
  • Pure perfection!

This episode was just perfect. This episode was pure perfection! They could not have done anything more to this episode. It was totally perfect. There were no flaws at all during the course of the episode, and I enjoyed every minute of it. No, I did not enjoy every MINUTE of the episode. I enjoyed every SECOND of the episode. Roswell That Ends Well is one of the best episodes of Futurama, and I recommend it to anyone. It does not matter if you are a fan of the show Futurama or not, just watch this episode now! It's just brilliant!
  • One of Futurama's finest!

"Roswell That Ends Well"

Grade: A*

This episode is always a fan favourite, and for good reasons too. This episode brought the time-travel storyline into the Futurama franchise and overall its pretty much flawless. The Roswell plot of Fry meeting with his grandfather Enos was hilarious, as he ends up killing him by mistake and accidently becoming his own grandfather by sleeping with his grandmother at the same time. Zoidberg was in top form too delivering most of the jokes, and Leela and Farnsworth trying to blend into the 1940s was super funny too! Bender is awesome too, especially near the end! For having no flaws the whole time and delivering so many funny moments, this episode easily hits in my top 5 and for those who want a full-packed 22 minute episode, this is the one to go for!
  • Second Favorite

Second favorite of the series, this is! It's hilarious. The Planet Express crew go to Roswell in the past and alter history (i.e. Fry becoming his own grandfather!). I think the ending is a little lazy, but it seems that was the point. The entire episode is a gagfest, but their all GREAT, hilarious gags. Surely one of the funniest episodes of TV I have seen. It's funny, it has a good plot, it has everything that makes Futurama great. My overall grade, without a doubt in my mind, is an A+. Anything below I would think is insulting (not really, but still)
  • A good old dose of hilarity, thanks to Matt G.

In this episode, Fry microwaves popcorn with metal on top while the crew is encountering a supernova, causing them to go all the way back to 1947 in Roswell, New Mexico. Fry learns his grandfather lives in this time and place, but he decides to try to keep him from being killed so Fry will still exist. Fransworth and Leela try to fit in with society, and find some kind of microwave to get them back home. And Zoidberg is discovered by the government, and he is given autopsy and studied upon, and Bender's body is modeled into a spaceship. Fry's story was great, as he basiclly got his Grandfather killed, and then became his own grandfather (Yup, he did), and Zoidberg's story was the best with great lines("Oh a buffet! If only I had my wallet.")and proves once again why a show like this should have never been cancelled. Overall, this is probablly my favorite Futurama episode due to the seer variety of laughs, and I highly reccomend it. 10/10 A+
  • Best Episode Ever!

Futurama always wins the audience with a pure Sci-Fi, constant comedic and exciting episode and without a doubt, Roswell That Ends Well wins best episode for me! Originally, the Futurama writers had decided not to write any Time-travel episodes, but after a while they thought 'oh what the hell' and wrote the episode named Time Keeps Slipping, which was a great episode too. After the success of that episode, the writers decided to write an episode where the plot tangles with the causality ratio, being travel back in time and causing Paradoxes. I love a Time-Travel episode in Futurama and they always pull it off, the Sci-Fi element is constant in this, the comedy is off the scale, the story, and animation in particular. All these elements make this episode my favourite. There's not one part of 'How it happened' that seemed like they might as well have said 'it's magic' to me, like I said, the Sci-Fi part kept true to the episode. The whole idea of clashing the time-travel part with the 'Alien crash on Roswell' was genius, I also loved seeing Zoidburg being featured in this episode, he was one of the funniest part of this. The joke about Fry being his own Grandfather was and still is so funny that it's the funniest joke in Futurama ever. This episode mixes with Parodies from movies such as 'Back to the Future' (clashing with the idea of having a relative attracted to you) and mixed with lots of other time travel classic plots. The animation is something to be made golden in this ep, the final chase scene as they leave the 1940's is the best CGI in a Cartoon Comedy I've ever seen. The effects and music in the final scene mix with each other very well. This episode I'm so glad was made because not only the fact that it's a treat to watch, but it also started the foundation of fantastic time travel ideas fro Futurama, anyone remember Bender's Big Score? Was that not a golden Time Travel film? I think it was and the whole idea of Fry being his own grandfather also leads further episodes into lots of call backs. So there you go, Roswell That Ends Well, I love you!
  • My favorite episode an absolute classic.

This episode is hilarious a ton of characters had me laughing like Zoidberg getting an autopsy, Leela talking like Fry even though those words have not been invented yet, Farnsworth yelling at Fry for giving him a lesson about history because Fry changed history by becoming his own Grandpa and Fry trying to save his Grandpa even though he just made things worse. Some more hilarious parts are when Leela told everyone to buckle up and Bender said those things kill more lives then they save then they crash and he flies out out of the ship and he fell apart and it was very funny when the military gave Zoidberg a feast to see what he eats then they tell him it's free and he freaks out and eats everything and starts sucking on the glass to eat the food that flew on the glass. Also it was so funny when Fry was trying to protect his Grandpa so he can still exist so he does things like push him out of the way of a car that went in the opposite direction and Enis (his Grandpa) said for saving me and pushing me on these sharp bayonets, running him into a mine field, and taking him into a house that was blown up by an atomic bomb. Overall this episode has tied for my favorite storyline which is Zoidbergs autopsy and this could be my favorite episode of anything ever.
  • My favorite episode.

This episode was great. It is my favorite episode of the series. Some highlights were Fry realizing that he was his own grandfather, Fry's grandfather flipping to the man page of the calender, and Dr. Zoidberg's many internal body organs. My favorite quote of the episode has to be when Dr. Zoidberg had his heart taken out and he says "Take I have four". Classic. I really liked the ending where the crew find Bender and he's still alive after more than a thousand years. Anyway my favorite character in this episode has to be Fry, because he became his own grandfather. LOL
  • This knocked me over the edge. "Ozone? That's never been there before!"

Roswell that ends well: This was the greatest episode ever made since the alien incidents and mysteries. This episode first made me laugh when Fry didn't listen to the microwave oven's warning of "No Metal" and the fact that the ship had different things like ozone layers, chronograph machines to calendars and the fact that Dr. Zoidberg and was the alien and Bender's body parts was the spaceship. Fry killed his grandfather Enos and accidentally made himself his own grandpa and the photos that the guy who no one believe got the both the loch ness monster and the alien sightings. Also one tip for Leela: You're from the 1950's and not the 1999.
  • Freakin hillarious, one of the best episodes

Lol, fry does the nasty in the pasty =P

This was one of my favorite episodes of Futurama, it was hilarious with a story that may disgust some. We learn of Fry's grandfather Enus and his Grandma Mildred. Bender was great, now we know that his head is a thousand years old. I watch Futurama for episodes like this, if you want a show with comedy, drana and great plots choose Futurama. You can't help but laugh at Zoidberg's antics as he is seen as an evil alien trying to take over Earth. He is so calm and so Zoidberg. Farnworth's lines were great in this episode too. Great episode if you love the series this episode is an absoulute must!
  • ANother one of my favorite episodes from this amazing series!!!

During a supernova explosion, Fry uses the Planet Express's microwave oven; and when the two forces collide, they are sent back to 1947. They crash in the desert outside of Roswell, and Dr. Zoidberg and Bender's headless bodies are imprisoned and taken to a military base, where Fry's grandfather is stationed. The Professor and Leela work on how to return to 3002, while Fry and Bender's head try a rescue at the base and make a contact that might put Fry's own existence at risk.

Truley one of the funniest episodes that I have ever seen!!! A must see. Believe me you will not be disappointed.
  • this episode was awsome

this episode was awsome and very entertaining.it is exactly y i watch this series.they could have done more with the whole "back in time to roswell site of ufo siteing" theme instead of letting fry lay his grandmother and become his own grandfather but i still liked it.alot of parts were funny like when fry talked to his gramdfathers ...... u no and says "ill save u dad" or something like that and i dont remember any other parts but it was still one of the most funny futurama episodes evr.it was entertainment to the max or at least close. 10/10
  • Very deserving of the Emmy this episode won. I loved it.

This episode explains the mysteries behind the Roswell, New Mexico incident... in Futurama style. This episode contained many classic jokes, with Professor Farnsworth and Leela trying to "fit in" during the 1940's and the "Zoidberg is the alien" scenes. One can't help but laugh at everything Zoidberg does. This episodes also has, in my opinion, one of the funniest and clever jokes in the series... Fry becoming his own grandfather. It is so sick, but yet so funny at the same time. It's episodes like this one that helped Futurama garner high ratings on Adult Swim and be renewed for a new life on Comedy Central! Long live Futurama!
  • A funny episode that explains alot

This episode had lots of surprise twist, funny gags, and a great plot. So many things happend in this episode, when you first see it, it's so hard to predict, because it is very original. Many surprise twists were the alien crash in roswell and that Fry was his own grandfather. At first, I didn't really understand how, but afterwards it's so funny. It's so funny how Leela, Fry, and the Proffesore can't act like the 1950's properally, and are doing really weird stuff. But most of all, my favourite would be when Zoidburg got caught, and everyone was trying to learn alot about his, and the best part of that was when Zoidburg at the buffet. He thought he had to pay, but when he learned it was free, he ate up as much as he could, which made me laugh so hard.

In the end, Futurama made a funny, orginial episode, and isn't that what really counts after all?
  • The episode were Fry does the "Nasty in the pasty," an great example of why Futurama was renewed.

• A good episode..

In this episode the team(Leela, Fry, and Bender) goes to see a supernova explosion and during the explosion Fry puts something thats nots suposed to be in a microwave and a blue wave through the ship out side right when the superbova exploded and it made a red wave. At this time they both collided and made a portal and went back in time. During that time they have to try and fit in with everybody else. Also during that time they try very hard not to change the past in any way but unfortantly they do change the past a little. Fry actual became his own grandfather my killing his arengenal grandfather by accident and having sexual relation ships with his Grandmother. By doing this he becomes his own grandfather. The only reason they can't get back to their own time is because they need another microwave oven but sence there are none in the 1940s so thats why they must change history if they ever want to get back to their own time. It get5s pretty funny on what happens next
  • A really good episode in my opinion.

In this episode the crew goes to see a supernova explosion.Then during the explosion Fry puts something thats not microwavable into a microwave and when the two waves collide they all get set back in time to the 40s.During that time they have to try and fit in with everybody else.Also during that time they try very hard not to change the past in any way but unfortantly they do change the past a little.The only reason they can't get back to their own time is because they need another microwave oven but sence there are none in the 1940s so thats why they must change history if they ever want to get back to their own time.
  • Fry is his own grandfather!

The crew of Plant Express travels back in time to 1947. And they just happen to travel to Roswell New Mexico. This means that all of the alien stories and theories are beacuse of package deleivery crew from the future!

After the crew finds themselves in the past, they desperatly look for a way to return home. While Leela and The Professor search for a microwave, Bender and Zoidberg get captured and dissected by the military.

Meanwhile, Fry is watching his "grandpa" and making sure nothing happens to him. In his paranoid attempts at safely he inadvertently causes his death. But strangely he does not fade into nothingness, but does end up sleeping with his own grandma. Making him his own grandfather!

Well at the end they find their way back to their own time and return to their lives. This is a hilarious episode and is very well written and fits nicely into the series.
  • The Planet Express ship travels back in time to 1947.

While viewing a star go super-nova and Fry placing metal in a microwave the Planet Express ship is hurled back in time to the Year 1947. While there Dr. Zoidberg is captured while picking up the remains of Benders smashed body which the military assume is a spaceship. Fry meets his grandfather and in an attempt to save his life ends up killing him in a nuclear blast. To top it off Fry becomes his own grandfather when he ends up sleeping with his grandmother. Meanwhile the Professor and Leela try to locate a microwave to return to their own time.
  • A look back at what 1947 was like.

7.8
    This episode gets the season off to a great start. It was a little predictable in parts, like when Fry killed Enos and ended up becoming his own grandfather, but it was still funny. There were some nice quotes, and I liked Leela and Professor's outfits.Another great installment for me.
  • This is a sweet episode.

This is a really funny episode. Everyone goes back in time. It's a classic.

Zoidberg, Fry, Leela, Bender and the professor go in the spaceship to watch star turn into a supernova. Fry goes to make popcorn in the microwave. He puts metal into the microwave at the same time as the star turns into a supernova. They get sent back in time to July 9th 1947. There is no global positioning system so they crash. Bender doesn't put his seat belt on and he flies out the windshield and breaks into hundreds of pieces. They land in Roswell, New Mexico. Zoidberg is picking up the pieces of Bender when the Roswell army captures them. they think that Bender is a spaceship and they think Zoidberg is an alien. A bunch of funny things happen with Zoidberg. Meanwhile Leela fixes the ship. She fixes everything except for microwave. The professor figures out that they have exactly 24 hours to get a microwave or else they can't get back to the future. Leela and the professor looks for one, but they can't find one. They weren't invented yet. Fry finds his grandfather Enos. He is in the army. He is about 30 at the time. Fry tries to save him from everything because if he dies, then Fry will too. Fry and Enos go to a restaurant and Enos's girlfriend is a waitress there. Her name is Mildred. Mildred is also Fry's grandma. Fry doesn't want to die so he locks Enos in a house in the middle of the desert. The house was used for a bomb test, but Fry didn't know that. Enos died, but Fry didn't. He figured out that Enos wasn't his grandpa and Mildred isn't his grandma so Fry has sex with Mildred. Then the professor explains to Fry that he is his own grandfather. Fry is shocked. Leela finds a microwave satalite dish. They steal it and steal Bender's body back and they get Zoidberg back. As soon as they are about to go back to the future, Bender falls off the ship. They couldn't turn around or they couldn't go back to the future. Once they get back to the future, Fry has an idea. He goes to Roswell which is just a desert now. He uses a metal detector and digs up Bender. He was buried in the ground for 1000 years. Everything is back to normal, except Fry is his own grandfather.

I give this episode a 9.4 out if 10.
  • That was not Fry's grandpa...

This episode confused me at first but after watching it a few times. i figured out that enice is not fry's grandpa. my proof: Fry's dad said (in luck of the fryrish) that every man in their family back to minute man yancy fry was named yancy. but his name was enice. and about who was fry's grandpa in the original future: my theory is that enice went gay. then mildredwent off and met yancy.
  • A very funny and superb episode.

PLOT: Fry puts metal in the microwave while trying to make popcorn during a supernova explosion. When both of the forces collide, the Planet Express crew members are sent through time back to the year 1947.
    They crash outside of Roswell, and Zoidberg and Bender's body are taken to a military base.
    Fry and Bender's head try to rescue Bender's body, as well as Fry tries to keep his grandfather, Enos, alive so that he can still exist.
    Meanwhile, Leela and Farnsworth try to find another microwave so that they can get back to the future.

This was, once again, a superb episode. It has a lot of comedy in it, such as Sarge telling Enos to make the toilet bowl so clean that he could eat off of it, because he intended to, then at the end, it shows him doing just that, the conspiracy nut's pictures that turn out to be a lot different than what he actually took a picture of(the Planet Express Ship appearing to be a sea serpent in the photograph, for example.), and Fry's line, "Hey, what smells like blue?", at the beginning. This episode had a great plot and great side plots with all the characters, too. Fry becomes his own grandfather in this episode, which is great character development. Overall, yet another superb episode.
    9.7/10.
    ~Pharaoh2.
  • Introduction of Mildred (Fry's Grandmother)

This is a hilarious episode from start to finish. Fry microwaving popcorn causing them to be sent back to the Year 1947 was a great beginning and Fry actually inadvertantly killing his grandfather when if he had done nothing, Enos would have lived was just as good. Zoidberg being found as an alien was a terrific plot as was Farnsworth and Leela's with Leela using slang she learnt from Fry when the words wouldn't be invented for over 60 years. The end is so disturbingly brilliant with Mildred on the rebound heading straight for Fry. Fry's logic does make sense since it would be impossible for her to be his grandmother if he was still alive so he of course allows her to use him. I love Farnswoth's line when they decide to just take the sattelite:
    Fry: But what about messing up history?
    Professor: Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa. Let's get the hell out of here. screw history!

This episode is a classic and explains how Fry came to be so stupid (he lacks the delta brain wave). A hilarious episode and one of my favourites.
  • Forget "Jurassic Bark", "The Sting", and "Luck of the Fryrish". THIS is Futurama's finest moment.

Very few shows have made me laugh this hard in a 22-minute time frame. Even fewer shows have created "Back to the Future" parodies that don't completely suck ass. "Roswell That Ends Well" is an excerpt of brilliance, and quite possibly the greatest achievement on the comedy side of the series' spectrum.

When things go haywire onboard the Planet Express, the entire crew is sucked into a space vortex that sends them back in time to the year 1947. The ship crash lands at Roswell Air Base, without any power source to bring them back to the future. While Leela and Farnworth look for methods of repairing the ship, Dr. Zoidberg and Bender are taken hostage by Roswell military soldiers, and Fry runs off to search for his grandfather at the training camp. Thus, three separate plots develop, yet all of which tie together beautifully without any disjointed problems. Fry's plot has the most emphasis, where he helps his grandfather escape from Roswell base, whether he likes it or not. Fry leaves him at a run-down shack in the middle of a wasteland in order to run to town, but it turns out the wasteland is a bomb testing site, and his grandfather is blown to smitherines.

Worried that the death of his grandfather means he'll cease to exist in the future, as "existing is bacically all I do", he runs into a local diner, only to be turned on by a local woman. She invites him over to her house for the night, where she bunks with him. The next morning, Farnsworth discovers Fry, who realizes that this woman is actually Fry's grandmother!

Fry: "Aaah! It's impossible! I mean, if she's my grandmother, then who's my grandfather?"
    Farnsworth: "Isn't is obvious? YOU ARE!"
    Fry: "Aaaah! Aaaaaah! AAAAAAAAAAH!"

At this point, the gang doesn';t even care about screwing over history anymore, and tracks down Bender and Zoidberg, who are being exposed to several government tests and interrogations. Zoidberg is retrieved, but Bender has to be left behind due to time constraints on the space vortex back into the future. Then, over 1000 years later, Bender is redicovered deep beneath the former site of Roswell, with a few "adjustments", so to speak.

Worried that the death of his grandfather means he'll cease to exist in the future, as "existing is basically all I do", he runs into a local diner, only to be turned on by a local woman. She invites him over to her house for the night, where she bunks with him. The next morning, Farnsworth discovers Fry, who realizes that this woman is actually Fry's grandmother!

Farnsworth: "Isn't is obvious? YOU ARE!"
    Fry: "Aaaah! Aaaaaah! AAAAAAAAAAH!"