Futurama

The Birdbot of Ice-Catraz

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Mar 04, 2001 on Comedy Central

• I think it is truly one of the funniest episodes this show has ever done

Well, you pretty much know that anything involving penguins is going to be great, and this episode had killer penguins. What could possibly be better? This is pretty much a Bender-centric episode, and, therefore, it doesn't have all that much in the way of emotion or character development, but I think it is truly one of the funniest episodes this show has ever done. All the characters (except poor Amy) are involved well, with Leela protesting, Bender's penguin adventure and the Fry and Zoidberg storyline, which was hilarious. Funniest bits include Bender calling Fry 'Wiggles', Fry and Zoidberg leaving space as we know it, and the absolutely wonderful gag about penguins slipping on oil with cartoon sound effects added 'to lessen tragedy'. That's probably my favourite joke on this show ever. All the penguins falling into the killer whale was funny too, like Bender said: hilariously cruel. There was even a nice little message about not killing animal for fun. Nice to see a bit of a scenery change on Pluto, the icy landscapes looked wonderful. A really brilliant ending as well.