Futurama

The Birdbot of Ice-Catraz

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Mar 04, 2001 on Comedy Central

• hillariouis episode

I admit I surprised myself a little when I realized this episode embodies "exactly why I watch this series." When I think of my favorites I think of ones with deeper plots or meanings like Parasites Lost, and The Why of Fry. Still when I rewatched this episode on DVD recently I realized how great this episode is. Not because it has a moral or character development but because of the simple fact that it's absolutely hilarious. There just are so many great jokes throughout this episode, and Zoidberg is at his peak hilarity. The purpose of the plot is simply to bring our characters from one funny situation to another and I loved it. Purpose if Futurama had remained focused on episodes like this it would have appealed more to the mainstream audience (as much as I love episodes like the Why of Fry, Jurassic Bark, and all the Fry/Leela episodes, I gotta admit that perhaps people in general weren't interested in those kind of emotions, themes, and serious meanings in an animated comedy). In short, this episode is not to be missed.