Futurama

The Cryonic Woman

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Dec 03, 2000 on Comedy Central

• It's usually considered one of the worst, but I thought it was pretty good!

"The Cryonic Woman"

Grade: B

Well, I'm one of those fans who liked this episode, since almost everyone hates it but I feel its a very underrated episode. The first two acts of the episode are very good, whilst the 3rd one is weaker but still good. The Cryonic Woman offers quite a good plot, but its ending could be better. After getting fired by Farnsworth, Fry, Bender, and Leela get new jobs. Fry works at the cryogenics lab and bumps into a frozen Michelle, Fry's Ex. Fry shows Michelle the year 3000 to her, but she can't cope with it. She tells Fry that they should go to the year 4000. Things go wrong, and not everything turns out to be what it is.

Overall, the jokes were classic in the first act, focusing on Fry and Bender driving the ship unattended, Bender saying he is steering the ship with his ass. In the cryogenics lab, Bender scares newly awakened people with costumes and delivers very funny moments. Fry intoduces people to the probulator in a rather amusing manner (one of them being Pauly Shore), and so the humour level slighly dips when Michelle is introduced, though its still funny when she sees all the stuff in the future and can't find a vanishing cream that doesn't actually make her vanish. The jokes are almost non-existent in the final act, though Fry delivers one funny line stupidly not realising that deathboarding is actually more dangerous than skateboarding. I personally thought the deathboarding scene was one of the coolest action sequences the show has ever done. The humour picks up again when the Planet Express crew find him, with the episode ending with Farnsworth dropping Fry down a mysterious trap door after Bender reminds him why he was fired in the first place. A score deserving around a B overall, mainly because the final act was quite weak compared to the other two, but not enough to totally ruin the episode (I thought the twist of it not being the year 4000 was actually pretty good!)
WGNAMER