Futurama

The Day the Earth Stood Stupid

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Feb 18, 2001 on Comedy Central

• perfect

What i liked- Nibbler winning 'dumbest pet', Leela talking to Nibbler and finding out the brains plan on making people stupid (oh.... stupider), and that every religion is wrong, Fry trying to reeducate the PE crew, Fry's way of getting rid of the brain, the references to books like Tom Sawyer and Moby Dick, amongst other things.

good episode. it has a great, somewhat complex plot and has some very funnyscenes. what more could you want out of an episode? final grade is going to be an A+

• Nibbler can talk!

Brains fly and Nibbler talks in this terrific episode of Futurama. I thought that this episode was hilarious, especially with everyone on Earth (except Fry) having increasing stupidity. VERY FUNNY! I loved the episode (The Day the Earth Stood Stupid), and I recommend it to anyone, ANYONE, that enjoys Futurama. It's a very enjoyable episode to watch. I really liked sitting down and watching this episode of Futurama.

Nibbler talks... and says that Earth is going to be taken over by his species' enemies, flying brains. Everyone on Earth becomes stupid except Fry. It's up to Fry to save the Earth!
  • hillarious

This is a great example of why we watch this show, or at least of why thinkers watch this show. It has illusions to Moby Dick and Tom Sawyer, explains the creation of the universe and meaning of life (if you understand Nibbler's language, as Lila apparently does) and once everyone recovers from the brain scrambler (which made Earth's inhabitants even dumber than they already are) it was a great time! Great for anyone who ever didn't want to be called cute, knew they couldn't think in the ways that others do, or just wanted to save the world from big floating brains!
  • So hilarious... A must see for every Futurama fan.

The episode begins with Tweenis 12, one day's brain flight from Earth, collapsing due to an attack by giant brains.

Meanwhile, there is a pet show on Earth. After hearing that the top prize is $500 and dog food, Bender and Zoidberg plan to enter to win. Leela and Nibbler also enter. After a series of tests, the Hypnotoad wins by hypnotizing the judges. Nibbler is crowned the "dumbest pet in show" while Bender and Zoidberg the "whooping terrier" win second prize, much to Bender's disappointment.

Later the Planet Express staff discovers an ominous trail of destroyed planets leading toward Earth. Nibbler begins gibbering excitedly and runs away. Tracking Nibbler to an alley, Leela is attacked by giant floating brains. Leela is rescued by Nibbler, who has donned a uniform and is piloting a tiny flying saucer. Nibbler and Leela leave New New York and fly away from Earth.

The next day, Fry discovers that all the citizens of New New York have been rendered stupid, except himself. Meanwhile, Nibbler begins communicating to Leela telepathically, and they travel to the planet Eternium, at the exact center of the universe. There, in the Hall of Forever (10 miles west of the exact center of the universe), the Nibblonian council tells Leela of the threat of the Brainspawn, the giant brains that have invaded Earth and are attempting to wipe out all thought in the universe. While the Nibblonians have been fighting them for billions of years--since the beginning of the universe--they are powerless against the Brainspawns' powers of stupidity; in fact, Fry is the only being in the universe immune to the Brainspawns' mental attack, and is the only one capable of combating them.

Leela arrives on Earth to tell Fry of his mission, and retains just enough intelligence to remember what it is. In a successful leap of logic, Fry seeks the leader of the brains at the New New York Public Library. There Fry discovers that thinking hurts the brains, but the brain leader traps Fry and Leela in a mental realm based on Moby-Dick. Fry and Leela pursue the giant brain through The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, and into Pride and Prejudice. Fry breaks free of the illusion, and attempts to attack the giant brain. Fry's efforts result in him being crushed to death by a bookcase, but this is then revealed to be an illusion based on a story Fry has quickly written, one riddled with "plot holes and spelling errors". In accordance with the story the giant brain leaves Earth for no "raisin" ("reason"), and the people of Earth regain their intelligence. Other than the Nibblonians, Fry is the only other being in the entire universe to have any recollection of the event; every time he tries to recount the story, no one believes him or really cares about what he has to say. Nibbler, meanwhile, returns to his undercover position observing Earth as Leela's adorable pet.
  • Absolutely brilliant

A pretty different episode, much more plot-heavy and science-fictiony than any episode in the first couple of seasons, this was still hilarious and very silly. It had plenty of funny stuff, most of which happened when everyone was being stupid ("Zoidy want balloon!"). I thought Katey Sagal (Leela's voice)'s delivery of stupid Leela was hilarious. The plot was (purposefully) stupid, but it was actually pretty interesting in places. The book parodies were pretty funny, but the whole 'intelligence-books' theme was kind of lame. At least we got a nice payoff with Fry's 'at your local Library' line. The highlight of this episode, of course, was the Hypno Toad. Absolutely brilliant, really classic stuff. All power to the hypno toad! I liked the ending, it gave the show a kind of over-arching plot to it.
  • Hillarious!

This is my favorite episode, because it is SO funny seeing everybody look stupid! Great plot. Awesome ending. Lots of very funny scenes. In my opinion, "The big brain am winning again! I am the greetest! Hahahaha! And now, I will leave Earth for no raisin!"-is the best line of the episode. Truely why I watch this series. This episode is just like The Simpsons. Overall, I give this episode a 10 out of 10, because it SO gosh darn funny! Hopefully the new episodes will be as funny as this one. One of the best episodes of this series.

-fastlane250
  • ...

A really interessting an funny storyline... With a fully thoughtout plot which has interessting and meaningful storyline, to the Futurama series! The brians are the most funny thing in the Futurama series. I think this episode was important to the Futurama Set. Plus the Name of the episode was really suited to the episode. A really interessting an funny storyline... With a fully thoughtout plot which has interessting and meaningful storyline, to the Futurama series! The brians are the most funny thing in the Futurama series. I think this episode was important to the Futurama Set. Plus the Name of the episode was really suited to the episode.
  • Fry, immune to the thought-scrambling weapons of the big-brains, saves earth through plot holes and spelling errors!

• It is up Fry to save the world.

It is in this episode that Nibbler first reveals himself to be more that just a stupid little pet owned by Leela. The first hint that Nibbler was more than he appeared was his shadow being cast on the floor back in 1999 when Fry first got frozen.

Some big brains have bee flying along destroying any planet in their path and Earth is their next target. The people of Earth are unable to fight back as the brain's make everybody around them stupid, except for Fry.

It falls upon Fry to find a way to defeat the brains and to save the world. Fry is able to succeed but unfortunately for him nobody else can remember what happened.
  • Introduction of the Big Brain

Fry is a hero in this episode, though nobody believes him and the whole episode is fantastic, especially the revelation that Nibbler can talk and the Nibblonian councukl was great. One of my favourite Futurama scenes of all time is in this episode where Fry has a megaphone pointed backwards yelling "people of new new york! Stop acting so stupid!" The library scene was great Fry outsmarting the brain, somewhat stupidly with many spelling errors ("Now we will return to our planet for no raisin"). Zoidberg and Bender at the start was hilarious when Bender was "training" Zoidberg. A very good episode with an important plot.
  • We find out more about Fry and his 'powers' as he works with Nibbler once again.

This episode is a great one, and shows that being 'stupider' than most people sometimes pays off. The episode is a great example of what Futurama is all about, and even brings in elements of 'Moby Dick'! Putting Fry as the one who has the power to save them is great, and differs from how he's always made out to be the idiot. It character helps the story move on, and in true 'Simpson' stlye, the beginning had nothing to really do with the story! the acting is especially good, perticularly Katey Segal who does a great 'stupid Leela'. Fantastic!