Futurama

Where No Fan Has Gone Before

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Apr 21, 2002 on Comedy Central

• Best Ever (from a Trekkie's point of view)

As a fan of Star Trek (TNG and OS) I really, really, really love this episode.
    The comedy factor is turned all the way up to eleven and the story itself is very Trek like indeed. All the main characters are great - Fry in his fanlike state, Bender's no car attitude, Leela making out with James T Kirk and Brannigan's Court Martial.

But its the guest stars that rule this episode. Leonard Nimoy (who is a frequent guest star), William Shatner, Nichelle Nichols, Walter Koeing, George Takei and even a bit part by John Franks. So overall another fantastic episode of Futurama - I Highly Recommend this to every single person out there. Live Long and Prosper.
  • A Great Crossover Episode. Matt Groening and David X. Cohen are never gona run out of ideas.

What an episode! This really blew me away. I mean you've got Star Trek and on top of that you've got Futurama. When I first heard of this episode I was thinking " I hope they crossover with one of the good 'Star Trek' series" and they completely nailed it by doing the "Original Series". This was one of my favourite episodes. what was also great was that they got the actual actors to do the voices of the Star Trek Crew and it was so funny! The writers have got to be pretty good to be able to write a "Star Trek" Themed Episode on "Futurama" and still be able to make it funny. A Great episode, Watch it, you'll love it! "Resistance is Futile!"
  • Unbelievable brilliant parody of Star Trek TOS

I'm quite sure the Trekkies (I'm one of them) were totally amused by this episode for two reasons. First, it is of our cult show with most of the original characters speaking the voice of their won character, and two, an extremely well referenced script cleverly crafting facts and data from the original episodes that were not only right on, but hilariously funny! Frye even got the episode numbers right! I'm quite sure the writer did a lot of research and fact finding of the Star Trek episodes in preparing the script. The first time I saw it was with a bunch of younger guys than me and at each commercial break I was going on and on about the "in" jokes the show referenced and explaining the connection of the jokes to the old episodes.
  • great epiasode

As the title suggests this episode has a high content of Star Trek content. The fact that Star Trek has been banned is contradicted a little from previous episodes but still makes for a very fuuny premise.With the characters confusing past events like the Star Trek Wars and the Star Wars Trek. The surviving members of the original Star Trek series all make cameos in this episode.Fry is very passionate, urging the rest of the crew to help him rescue the banned tapes, with the others not really understanding why he cared so much about a television program.Fry battling Melllvar for the right to be called the ultimate Star Trek fan is a highlight.
  • Parody, the final frontier.

This is one of those special episodes that shows how good Futurama can be at making parodies of our pop culture. It is hard to find a bigger pop culture icon than Star Trek, and this episode is a work of genius. Having most of the surviving orignal cast (plus a TNG cameo) was perfect. The script was outstanding, the jokes were perfectly timed, and the little Trek touches were the icing on the cake. This shows that the producers, writers, and director of this show really cared about Star Trek, and although they made fun of it, it was all done in good spirit and with a quirky sort of respect. Congrats on a fine episode.
  • Plain old wierd, but a good episode

Fry is put on trial for his life for traveling to the forbidden planet of Omega 3 to retrieve all 79 episodes of "Star Trek", and he must defend the claim that human kind needs "Star Trek" to give them hope for the future. In the 23rd Century, "Star Trek" fans had evolved to such a level that they corrupted the world's governments and all things "Star Trek" were then banned to Omega 3. Fry sets out on his mission with Leela, Bender and Leonard Nimoy's head in a jar, only to discover William Shatner, Nichelle Nichols, George Takei and Walter Koening are living on Omega 3 under the watchful eye of Melllvar, an evil energy creature -- and "Star Trek's" biggest fan.
  • Going where many fans have loved going before

I loved this episode. There were so many Trekkie in jokes. I found the whole episode enjoyable all the way through and it's one of my favorite ones to watch again and again on the DVDs. I love how everyone of the Star Trek cast is willing to parody themselves, especially William Shatner. What makes me enjoy this episode even more is the fact I actually understand all of the jokes, I like what that says about me. I had been thoroughly enjoying the series and I knew it was only a matter of time before they made reference to this particular science fiction classic.
  • In my opinion, this episode is one of the best in Futurama. There are a few references to Star Trek throughout the series and they are finally addressed in this episode.

We have all heard Fry spit out a few references to Star Trek throughout Futurama and this episode finally pays tribute to that.

The classic TOS style that accompianies this episode couldn't have been done better. From the music to the jokes they all fit in with that classic Trek feel. My favourite memory of this episode was the witty jokes that I have come to expect from Futurama, such as "My foot's cold" after William Shatner tosses his shoe away. I would reccomment this episode to anyone that a) likes Star Trek and b) is a fan of Futurama. It's one of the best.
  • Planet Express ship vs Enterprise

• Star Trek meets The Planet Express

This was the funniest episode of Futurama that I have ever seen. William Shatner and his crew are stuck on a planet with a Energy-Being, who is a fan of Star Trek, and the Planet Express crew is there as well. Melllvar starts a Star trek convention that is filled with events like Shatner talking the rap Slim Shadie, autograph signings, and a Star Trek trivia game which Fry wins. Melllvar then puts the Star Trek crew in a battle to the death with The Planet Express crew. The Planet Express crew is winning but, they decide to work together and escape. This is one of the reasons why the show was so good and had so many fans.
  • This is a sweet episode.

This episode is one of my favorite episodes. It's really funny. It's a classic. The whole episode is about Star Trek.

Star Trek was banned in the 23rd century because it became a religion and it was to big so they banned it. They sent all the tapes to a forbidden planet. Fry, Bender and Leela go there with Willaim Shatner. There ship crashes. All of the other Star Trek character's are there. A guy named Melllvar lived there too. He was the biggest Star Trek fan ever. He forced everyone to have a Star Trek convention until time stops. Later, he gets bored so he makes Fry, Leela and Bender fight to the death agaisnt the Star Trek character's. In the middle of it, Melllvar's mom makes him come home for supper. They decide to work together and fix the ship. They do that. They almost excaped, but Melllvar chases after them in his own space ship. Then Fry convinces Melllvar to stop letting Star Trek controlling his life. Melllvar goes home.

I give this episode a 9.5 out of 10.
  • Introduction of Welshy

Not being a Star Trek fan, I probably missed a lot of the inside jokes but I still enjoyed this episode immensely with such scenes as Welshy, the beeping actually having nothing to do with Fry being disabled and the slow Fry scene:
    Leela: We can't use our ship. The life support works but the engines are wrecked.
    Takei: Ironic. Because our engines work but our life support systems don't.
    Leela: Hey, if your engines work...
    Takei: ...and your life support systems work...
    Fry: Stop!! You're just goin' around in circles! Think, Fry, think! Everyone's depending on you.

Any episode starring Zapp Brannigan is usually hilarious and this is no exception, Mellvar being a great character too. The only letdown in the episode is the continuity errors which Futurama have a lot of but this is the only one that's blatantly obvious: the fact that Star Trek has been mentioned several times on the show, including the pilot ("do the thing") and Brannigan, Begin Again ("Or like the Federation from your Star Trek program"). All in all, a good, well plotted episode.
  • The best Trek parody EVER!

Star Trek has, without a doubt, reached a pinnacle in pop culture -- people who have never seen the show (indeed, who have never read/watched sci-fi) will still understand key references : lines such as 'Beam me up Scotty' or 'He's dead, Jim' do not require explanation.

Likewise, Trek parodies have been numerous over the years. It is a special delight for the fans, especially when such productions poke fun at some of the more subtle or less known aspects of the show -- jokes that aficionados will chuckle over. Such parodies are often the brainchild of true fans, who have grown up with the show.

This Futurama episode is the ultimate Trek parody, and the ultimate Trek tribute. It pokes fun at the actors, the sets, the scripts, and (of course!) the fans. But it is all in the spirit of good fun, and it is one of the funniest 1/2 hours this show has ever produced.

Having the original actors supplementing their own voices was a delight, and seeing them interact with Fry, Bender, Leela & the rest of the gang provided us with hilarious moments. Virtually every classic Trek episode gets a nod, and even the the plot of the Futurama episode eerily follows classic Trek lines!

The references come fast and quick, and will have true fans rolling on the floor. Steady as she goes...
  • Personal favorite of mine.

Being the Star Trek fan that I am, this is my favorite Futurama eposide, which includes the entire cast (with the exception of James Doohan R.I.P.) and what happend to them once the Star Trek franchise had gotten outta hand in the future, and what happens when Fry goes to the forbidden planet to rescue them.