Futurama

Xmas Story

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Dec 19, 1999 on Comedy Central

• Christmas Review #43

It's Christmas (Xmas actually), and Fry realizes how different it is from what he can remember. Santa Claus is now a robot who punishes the naughty people and he considers everyone to be naughty. I thought that this was an excellent Christmas (well actually... X-Mas) episode of "Futurama". This is seriously one of the best Christmas episodes from a show that I have ever seen. The storyline is completely genius and the whole concept of a robotic Santa Claus punishing the naughty people but considers everyone to be naughty is just brilliant... who ever came up with an idea like this must have a brilliant idea. I would have never come up with genius things like this. This episode was hilarious all the way and literally cracks me up. It was hilarious when Bender and the other robots went Christmas caroling. Amy and Hermes giving up their hair to buy each other combs and Zoidberg has half Hermes' hair and half Amy's hair was hilarious. More parts cracked me up as well. Like I said, the whole entire episode was just a brilliant and creative idea. Overall, an excellent Christmas (X-Mas) episode of "Futurama". 10/10
  • Christmas(sorry, X-Mas)episode

In this episode, the Planet Express crew goes to a ski resort, but Fry is depressed that he doesn't have any realitives with him (except for Fransworth.) Eventually it makes Leela sad, and Fry feels like an ***, so he goes to get her present, but then he and Leela get chased by Robot Santa. The episode was nonstop hilarious from Fry choosing Leela's present to Zoidburg getting a pogo stick. Favorite quote from Robot Santa: "Your Missletow is no match for my TOW missle!" Overall, a perfect episode about Christmas that is nonstop hilarious and definitly worth watching. 10/10 A+
  • Introduction of Robot Santa

This episode is hilarious, with the evil santa and the new holiday Xmas (Christmas being an archaic prononciation like ask which is now or will be aks).
    This episode cracked me up from Fry choosing between the lizards and the parrot to Zoidberg's pogo stick.
    My favourite part of the whole episode was the classic Xmas song:
    "He knows when you are sleeping
    He knows when you're on the can
    If he sees you he'll blast your ass from here to Pakistan!
    Oh, you better not breathe
    You better not move
    You're better off dead I'm telling you dude
    Santa Claus is gunning you down!"
    I'll end this review with a few classic Santa quotes:
    "Your missletoe is no match for my TOW Missile"
    "I'm gonna shove coal so far up your stocking you'll be coughing up diamonds!"
    "I'll be back. Back when you least expect...NEXT XMAS!!!"
  • xmas!

i like christmas episodes of my favorite shows, and this is no exception. i liked the idea that Santa is a Robot in the future, and that he considers every earthling to be naughty. I thought that was hilarious and clever. i also thought most of the overall episode was quite hilarious, santa bot is one of my favorite minor characters, really funny and original idea. My overall grade for this episode is a B+ or so, because i honestly can not remember some of the events that took place. Of course, that doesn't mean it is a bad episode
  • Er... it was okay.

Xmas story is, well done, a story about Christmas but we learn that the futuristic Santa Claus is some homicidal robot. Well to celebrate they get an Xmas tree (palm tree, firs are now extinct...) and Fry gets Leela a present, but she's still sad about her original Christmas as an orphan... the crew warn him about the homicidal maniac Santa Claus, anyway, and how he comes out around sundown to murder anything in his path. Yes, Fry buys Leela a parrot, and Leela goes out to save Fry before Santa comes! Zoidberg saves the day by forcing Santa back through the chimney. Woot!
  • Merry Xmas!

A very clever and funny holiday episode of the show, Futurama. Robot Santa was very funny and "NAUGHTY!" as well, what with his thinking that everyone on Earth is naughty and everything. It was very clever that someone would try to create an automated Santa that went wrong. Very clever....

It is Christmas (or, now known as Xmas) and Fry and Leela are not feeling the holiday cheer. Both are feeling very lonely. Everyone that Fry knew in the twentieth century is dead, and Leela doesn't know any of her family, or any of her species. Fry goes out to buy Leela a gift, and meets a murderous robotic Santa Claus that thinks everyone in the world is naughty for their smallest mistakes and imperfections.
  • Probably the most enjoyable episode ever

I love all christmas shows, and they tend to be amongst my favourites. Therefore it says a lot when I say this is not only one of the shows best epiosdes but also one of the best christmas episodes of any series ever. It is funny, well written, intresting, unique and fearures all the characters in brilliant deatail. Everyone shines, which is always best, and it is really odd which is why Futturama is so uniques and original. The second Christmas one was a disapointment, nowhere near as good as this one, and Santa felt misused in the new dvd movie, I think that if the show gets brought back to tv then another Xmas episode is a must!
  • hillarious episode

This episode has probably some of the funniest lines out of the entire series; Even Santa has some great ones. I like how it starts out like any other episode and all, but towards the end with Robot Santa well, it's get freaky. I remember when this episode first premier, my little sister was only three at the time and still a firm believer in Santa Clause and when she saw Santa's eyes turns evil looking, oh it scared her so much! My dad had to explain to her several times that it was only a crazy robot who thought he was Santa and not the actual Santa himself. But even then, she still had a difficult time watching it. She still does to this day. Not that I blame her. That the one thing I don't like about Robot Santa. Christmas is suppos to be a time of love and care and Futurama turned it into something people will come to fear. That's so sad. It's like the creators have forgotten the whole meaning of Christmas. Oh well, at least it still has some memorable lines.
  • It's X-mas time and Santa's comin' to town

Everybody from Planet Express is at a ski lodge enjoying a break from work. Fry starts to think of Christmas back when he was younger and it starts to make him homesick. Once the crew get back to the office/shop and decorate for X-mas, Fry says something to really upset Leela. He goes out to buy Leela a nice X-mas present, but gets caught outside after hours and now Santa is coming. This is not the lovable joyous happy Santa he knows, this is a maniacal demented robot that was built to be Santa but something wind haywire. He thinks that everyone is naughty and should be punished....
  • X-mas is cool

when this episode was showed, i couldn't believe that pine trees going extinict for 800 years, global warming being canceled due to nuclear winter, Bender blending in with the poor robots, Fry finding the perfect gift for Leela but ended up being with Leela and Santa Claus (robot) in a wild goose chase for survival and while the gang almost being killed by Santa Claus (except Zoidberg, he gets a pogo-stick for being nice) they push him to the chimney with the bomb he planted to kill them all to send Santa to space was good but needs to be more funnier.
  • X mas story.

One of the all-time best Futurama has to offer, an absolute classic. Every character is really showcased, from Zoidberg's face glove to Amy flying aroung the room, and Robot Santa is absolutely hilarious. "Your mistletoe is no match for my TOW missile!". Again, there are just loads of brilliant jokes all the way through, and it's nice to see Xmas in the future. There's even a sweet moment when Leela saves Fry's life and they almost kiss under the mistletoe. Zoidberg saving the day with his pogo stick was simply brilliant. Nice ending too. i gladly give this episode an A+.
  • A great pardoy of our Christmas celebration... This episode should be seen by all true Futurama fans.

While on a ski trip, Fry begins to feel nostalgic for 20th century Christmases. To cheer him up, the rest of the Planet Express staff decide to decorate for what is now called Xmas (eks-mas), which includes cutting down an Xmas tree.

Fry decides to venture into the city to buy Leela a present, although she hadn't felt happy about Xmas when she was an orphan. The others warn him to be back before sundown, or else he will be killed by a murderous robotic Santa Claus. In the year 2801, Mom's Friendly Robot Company had made up a robotic version of St. Nick himself to determine who's been naughty and who's been nice. Unfortunately, due to a programming error, the jolly robotic saint soon turns into a mad murderer when his standards are set too high and he will kill anyone who has been naughty at sundown. Meanwhile, Bender befriends several homeless robots and goes on a robbery spree.

Fry buys Leela a parrot, which escapes. Leela heads out to rescue Fry before Santa Claus arrives. After pursuing the parrot to the top of a tall building, he is saved from plunging to his death by Leela. Unfortunately, Fry's safety for Leela is short-lived, as sundown finally comes and the robotic Santa Claus makes his appearance and attacks the two friends.

Fry and Leela take refuge in the Planet Express building after being saved by Bender and his homeless robot friends, but Santa breaks in through the chimney. Thanks to some quick thinking by Doctor Zoidberg, Santa is forced back into the chimney, where an explosion sends him and his mechanical reindeer tumbling into the stratosphere.

Everybody celebrates by singing "Santa Claus Is Gunning You Down".

In the credits, Robot Santa vows that he'll be back when no one expects it, next Xmas!
  • Though hilariously funny in a lot of ways, it's also very disturbing!

• The best Christmas-related episode of "Futurama".

Here is my review for this episode of "Futurama". It is called "Xmas Story", and it is about Fry celebrating his first Christmas in the future (The holiday is now called "Xmas" in the year 3000). After seeing how Christmas has changed while he was frozen for a thousand years, Fry decides to go out and buy Leela an Xmas present after realizing she was an orphan and has no family. As he's doing so, he also encounters and deals with an evil robot Santa Claus (played by to voice of John Goodman) that comes every year to brutally punish all the people who's been naughty (which means ALL of the people in New New York). And so, with help from his friends, Fry deals with the evil Santa and he celebrates Xmas happily. Even though I really haven't seen this episode that much, this one fine Christmas-related episode on the show to enjoy. There was also another Christmas-related episode made, but it wasn't as good as this one (mainly because the evil Santa wasn't played by his original voice actor).
  • Xmas time.

I really love this episode, the christmas special feel it has was great and the whole Santa Claus twist was just simply hilarious. Plus the whole thing at the ski resort was a great start to the episode, with Conan O'Brien, the Proffeser being a great skier, Fry expeirencing the Trees Up, Trees Down thing in the skieing experience for the first time, and the Peanuts reference cracked me up.

But back on the main plot, it was just wonderful, expecially the fact that Bongo from life in hell had a cameo, Zoidberg got a pogo stick for christmas and Fry and Leela almost kiss.

The jokes were good, the plot was great and the animation was an extravanganza.
  • The Planet Express Crew make a trip to a Ski Resort. Then,they return to New New York on X-mas Eve where Fry learns about Robot Santa. Hilarity ensues.

Wonderful episode. We find out more of Leela's childhood and this is one of the funniest episodes of the entire series.John Goodman does a wonderful preformance of Robot Santa, and Tinny Tim has to be the funniest character in this episode. "Tinny Tim- Thank you,sir,Bender-You got the toenail!" Tress Macneille also does her cameo (like she does in every episode).Santa Claus is gunning you down! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha! So Funny!!! 10/10
  • This wasn't a bad episode overall just one thing perplexed me

This is the first introduction we have to Robot Santa, which actually makes this a pretty cool episode overall. But what was a little confusing in this episode was something Professor Farnsworth said. He said that Pine Trees were extinct for 800 years, but in the scene immediately preceding the tree purchase, they were at the ski lodge, surrounded by pines. As I said before, this was actually a really cool episode since Robot Santa makes his homicidal premiere, and the characters really showed that they cared about each other (a little out of character for some), but hey it was Christmas Afterall! Futurama needs to return to TV!
  • The Planet Express crew battle the Robot Santa

A lot of changes have happened in the last 1000 years. Christmas is now Xmas and Santa is now Robot Santa.
    Due to a programming error Robot Santa invariably calculates that everybody is naughty. Xmas now means barracading your homes, arming to defend yourself and hoping for the best.

A scene I quite like is when Fry is buying a present for Leela at a pet store. Unable to decide to buy a talking parrot or a swarm of lizards. Deciding on buying the parrot, as he leaves the store he drops the cage and the parrot escapes. "I know where you live" Fry shouts shaking the cage.
  • A really good episode.

In this episode it is Xmas time and,Leela and Fry are both sad but Leelas sadder because she never had a family to share Xmas with.So after realizing this Fry goes out on Xmas eve to try and find Leela a present so she won't be so sad,but Fry forgets that Santa considers everyone to be naughty so he doesn't get home before dark so Leela goes out to look for him,but they end up getting chased through the streets by Santa and they almost got killed,but it was a good thing that $500 bird he bought Leela got in the way and got blew up instead.
  • Santa but not as we know him

The very first Futurama Christmas episode is Xmas Story & if this is anyhing to go by then I can't wait for the others. This is an excellent episode containing many funny moments such as the digital clock which Fry grabs hold of while hanging for dear life. I love Robot Santa with his guns & hand grenades (Christmas decorations) & Rudolfs nose glows red when angry. It has a good storyline & a solid beggining middle & end. It contains a porody of Oliver & a reference of the sewer mutants, It's also brought up a debate amongst fans about Pine Trees. Overall an excellent episode.
  • Santa attacks!

Xmas Story is an example of how life in the year 3000 is so completely different.

Santa is in fact one bad robot who will kill anyon on the spot who has been the slightest bit naughty. Of course Zoidberg is nice so he gets a pogo stick!

The santa episodes are OK, but compared to ones with Zapp in them or even Mom they are below par.

One problem I had is that I didn't find santa funny at all. Not like Sideshow Bob or Mr Burns from the Simpsons.

As a bad guy Santa should have definately been a lot more humerous!
  • Not great, but pretty darn good

7.9
    While not as good as the follow-up Christmas episode from two seasons later ("A Tale of Two Santas,") this episode went a long way to showing how far the world had gone askew during the millennia that Fry was in suspended animation.

Christmas (now just "X-mas") has become a time of horror under the thumb of an insane robot Santa Claus who judges everybody to be naughty. Fry, however, still pines for the traditions of Christmas past, including trying to find the perfect present for Leela. Having John Goodman doing Santa-bot's voice was a huge plus, and any episode that focused on the Fry/Leela relationship was welcome, but the show was still finding its legs at that point. It got better.