A Galavant Community
ABC (ended 2016)

ABC has given series orders to five dramas and three comedies, and one fairy-tale musical, TV.com has learned. On the drama side, there's Marvel's Agent Carter, Shonda Rhimes' How to Get Away With Murder, American Crime, The Whispers (formerly The Visitors)and Forever. On the comedy side, there's Black-ish, Selfie, and Manhattan Love Story. And on the island of fairy-tale musicals, there's Galavant.

(Psst! The network has also renewed several shows, which we've listed here, and canceled Trophy Wife, Suburgatory, and The Neighbors, among others.)

DRAMAS

Agent Carter stars Captain America's Hayley Atwell as the titular agent. The series takes place a year after the events of Captain America: The First Avenger; set in 1946, it follows Peggy Carter as she builds her career as a secret agent. Working for the covert SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve), Peggy must balance doing administrative work and going on secret missions for Howard Stark, all while trying to navigate life as a single woman in America in the wake of losing the love of her life (Chris Evans' Steve Rogers). Resurrection's Tara Butters and Michele Fazekas will executive-produce with Steve McFeely, Christopher Marcus and Jeph Loeb.

Shonda Rhimes' How to Get Away With Murder is a sexy, suspense-driven legal thriller about a group of ambitious law students and their brilliant, mysterious criminal defense professor (Viola Davis) who become entangled in a murder plot that will rock their entire university and change the course of their lives. Grey's Anatomy producer Peter Nowalk will write and executive-produce with Rhimes and Betsy Beers' Shondaland. Liza Weil, Billy Brown, Katie Findlay, Matt McGorry, Aja Naomi King, Jack Falahee, Alfred Enoch, Charlie Weber, and Karla Souza will also star in the project.

The Whispers (previously titled The Visitorsis a drama about the race against the clock to defeat an unseen alien enemy out to destroy the world using our most precious resource against us. Juno's Soo Hugh will write the project from Steven Spielberg's Amblin TV. Barry Sloan, Milo Ventimiglia, Lily Rabe, Derek Webster, Brianna Brown, Kylie Rogers, Catalina Denis, and Kyle Harrison Breitkopf will star.

In Forever, Ioan Gruffudd stars as Dr. Henry Morgan, New York City's star medical examiner who studies the dead for a reason: He is immortal. With the help of Detective Jo Martinez (Alana De La Garza), the drama will peel back the layers of Henry's long, colorful life through the cases they solve. Chuck's Matt Miller will write and executive-produce with Dan Lin (Terminator Salvation) and Jennifer Gwartz (Veronica Mars). Judd Hirsch, Barbara Eve Harris, Joel David Moore, and Donnie Keshwarz will also star.

In American Crime, the personal lives of the players involved in a racially charged trial are examined as their worlds are turned upside-down. 12 Years a Slave scribe John Ridley will write and executive-produce with Cougar Town's Michael McDonald. Felicity Huffman, Timothy Hutton, Penelope Ann Miller, Richard Cabral, Johnny Ortiz, Elvis Nolasco, Benito Martinez, W. Earl Brown, and Caitlin Gerard will also star.

Secrets and Lies stars Ryan Phillippe as Ben Garner, a man who goes from Good Samaritan to murder suspect after he discovers the body of his neighbor's young son in the woods. As Detective Andrea Cornell (Juliette Lewis) digs for the truth, the secrets and lies of Garner's town rise to the surface and no one is above suspicion. KaDee Strickland, Natalie Martinez, Clifton Collins Jr., Indiana Evans, and Belle Shouse round out the cast.

COMEDIES

In Selfiea self-obsessed, twentysomething woman (Doctor Who's Karen Gillan) is the subject of a viral video made after a humiliating public break-up. When the video makes her an internet celebrity for all the wrong reasons, she hires a marketing expert named Henry (John Cho) to help restore her image. Suburgatory creator Emily Kapnek will write and executive-produce the project inspired by My Fair Lady

Black-ish stars Anthony Anderson as an upper-middle-class black man who struggles to raise his children with a sense of cultural identity, despite constant contradictions and obstacles coming from his liberal wife (Tracee Ellis Ross), old-school father (Laurence Fishburne) and his assimilated, color-blind kids. Anderson and Fishburne will executive-produce, and Marsai Martin, Miles Brown, Marcus Scribner and Yara Shahidi will also star.

Manhattan Love Story (formerly My Thoughts Exactly) is a romantic comedy that exposes the unfiltered inner monologues of young couple Peter (Jake McDorman) and Dana (Analeigh Tipton) as they embark on a new relationship. Spin City's Jeff Lowell will write and executive-produce.

AND THE FAIRY-TALE MUSICAL

In the fairy-tale musical Galavant, handsome Prince Galavant (Joshua Sasse) is on a quest for revenge against the king (Psychs's Timothy Omundson) who stole his one true love (Mallory Jansen). Dan Fogelman will write and executive-produce with Oscar-winning composer Alan Menken writing the music. Vinnie Jones, Karen David, and Luke Youngblood will also star.

Okay, let's hear it: Which of these new shows sound good to you?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 1/31/2016

Season 2 : Episode 10

135 Comments
Comments (135)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Not a bad line-up, there is certainly some potential here. Agent Carter would be a fun addition to the Marvel universe, which just makes my comic book hero loving heart beat faster nowadays. I feel so spoiled with all the superhero and hero movies, shows, I'm like a kid in fairyland.
Forever, The Whispers, Secrets and Lies could be great. I'll give them a show.
Selfie I have to watch for Karen, since she was one of my favourite companions. I'm not a comedy fan, but if the humour is more sarcastic than fall-on-your-face, then I'm staying.
A musical fairy tale??? I just don't know. Sounds weird. Then again, Glee sounded weird too. Could be good. We'll see.
Flag
Forever could be brilliant. I love flashbacks of very old people but I hope it has a twist that has nothing to do with meaning of life or love. I also don't like the idea of the star teaming up with a detective, it will just weaken the idea with a case per episode and no actual story telling.
Flag
I'm so excited about Agent Carter! The premise actually reminds me of the original Wonder Woman setting, when the story was taking place in the 40's.

I'll try Forever, and maybe Galavant and Whispers.
Flag
Agent Carter will survive just because Marvel is backing it up for their own Avengers Franchise. Forever is a nice idea but so was Do No Harm, and that got cancelled. The Whisper, might survive if its better than V and Falling Skies. the rest will get cancelled. Galavant, is a wild card, I mean look at Glee, who would've thought High School Musical would be such an inspiration. =P
Flag
Agent Carter and Forever - they both have the potential to be awesome. Good to have a female protagonist carry a Marvel show for once (besides Elektra), and Hayley Atwell is simply stunning.
Flag
Agent Carter seems great, but I am also looking forward to watching the dramas. I do not like musicals, and the comedies do not appeal to me
Flag
Dum Dum Dugan or we riot
Flag
Agent Carter and Selfie look like they could be good...
Flag
...honestly? all of these sound absolutely awful! but I've had a casual love of john cho forever, so I guess I'll be watching it (or more realistically, watching it on hulu the next day). but really, abc how did you get all these quality people to act in what sound like stinker roles?! you must have some really incredible...salaries :P
Flag
These all sound absolutely horrible, with the dramas too high-concept for network TV and will be an utter disaster and the comedies just too stupid and off-base. I'm surprised ANYBODY is excited for these. These are horrible.
Flag
Haley Atwell in a Marvel period piece? Ok, I'm there! Peggy Carter was pretty great.

Forever sounds really interesting and Ioan Gruffudd has been one of my faves since Horatio Hornblower. That said, it could go either way, I could see it being compelling or schmaltzy.

Selfie, um... well, it has actors I like.

Black-ish, could be interesting, I like the cast, but seems a little daring for an ABC sitcom.
Flag
From that list I like the premise of Forever and How to Get Away With Murder. We all know how derivative crime shows can get so a plot with an immortal Medical Examiner...how can I resist checking that out!. And I also like the idea of a professor and her students involved in a big murder case. It's not often crime shows can work in younger characters that are not relegated to being children, rookie cops or tech geeks.
The plot of the The Whispers apparently revolves around some guy with amnesia and children influenced by imaginary(alien?) friends. FBI, spaceships etc are in there too . It all sounds interesting but I am wary about the Spielberg connection. He has a spotty record with TV. And Soo Hugh was involved with Under the Dome.
Flag
So...Forever is New Amsterdam, but with a coroner?
Flag
I am interested in the new shows Marvel's Agent Carter and Forever. The comedies sound like they will be plain stupid and the musical has been done to death.
Flag
I like John Cho and Karen Gillan so I'll probably watch the terribly titled Seflie.
Flag
They cancelled Trophy wife and orders a fairy tale musical? lol They must be trippin on ayahuasca!
Flag
I am not interested in any of these comedy choices. I was hoping for: An American Education, Bambi Cottages, Irreversible, Saint Francis, and The Winkler's. While, from these drama listings, How To Get Away With Murder is the only one that I have any interest in seeing.
Flag
I could never be involved in developing or writing for TV shows. It'd be like building a bunch of houses knowing that a few of them will collapse, burn to the ground, be destroyed by a meteor, or demolished by your boss to build a similar house or a parking lot.
Flag
Its sad that it is definitely so that some of these shows will not even make it pass half a season. I only see 2 to 3 surviving per network.

As much as I like superhero/comic related TV shows, a period drama about a non-superhero character who isn't that popular (unlike Commissioner Gordon) is not that appealing, especially with the standard demographics. I just don't see Agent Carter doing that well.
Flag
most of these shows are pretty interesting
Flag
I see Laurence Fishburne is in one of these pilots. I guess we know how that unfinished fight scene from the premiere of Hannibal ends...
Flag
Possibly, especially now that Hannibal has been picked up, but I have a feeling that if they share the Vancouver shooting location (I'm guessing) he can come in to do those opening and closing shots.
Flag
I think its abundantly clear Lawrence is not going to win that fight with Hannibal. But on another note, I am very glad to see that Will will continue to take on Hannibal in Season 3 on NBC!
Flag
i'm actually quite surprised that they OKed Agent Carter so quickly even, considering how much floundering SHIELD has done this year... i've watched it since the premiere but it has not been smooth sailing at all!
Flag
That's what I was thinking. Surprised by a green light on Agent Carter while they've been so ambivalent for so long about SHIELD. And I think SHIELD is a pretty decent show. Agent Carter, from the description given here, doesn't sound like something I expect to work well or last long.
Flag
I suspect Agent Carter will turn out to be Nick Fury's mother.
Flag
Why oh why is Marvel making another show set in its cinematic universe that doesn't center around anything related to superheros or superpowers? Who told you that was a good idea, Marvel? Didn't you learn from the boring first half of SHIELD?
Flag
Also, now I'm worried that it's a bad sign for Hannibal that Laurence Fishburn is starring in this show with Anthony Anderson. That or ABC just spoiled what happens to Fishburn's character.
Flag
I'll try Agent Carter. I mean, I'll pretty much try any of this, but Agent Carter is the only one about which I have a good feeling I have a good feeling about.

I don't get the Viola Davis hype. She's kinda dull.
Flag
The crossed out version was actually the correct one grammatically.
Flag
The point was to show that while I'm capable of using the correct grammar, it sounds ridiculous to me, and so I choose to not. Team 'Merican.
Flag
F--- yeah!

Flag
I always thought that started out as a joke at our expense, but it was so awesome, we just took it and owned it.
Flag
If Alan Menken is writing music, I'm always in.
Flag
A musical....with Vinnie Jones? I gotta see that!

ABC gives me Hayley Atwell AND Karen Gillan? Even if both shows only go a few episodes (or totally suck), I'm still down.
Flag
Agent Carter, The Whispers, and Galavant are shows I may watch, depending on what night they air and what they're up against. Why do I get the sense that Agent Carter will slide into Tuesday's at 9/8 and be alongside Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.?
Flag

And the chances of ABC passing NBC paving its way to the cellar are looking very good!

Thank goodness one of those moron executives finally figured out that 'V'' WAS SHORT FOR VISITORS and they already canceled that show and this one doesn't look near as good. So they are taking not really as good of a cast and the same idea and trying it again expecting different results. You deserve NBCs gutter spot. OK guys lets just change the name and make it sound even dumber. Dumb da Dumb Dumb f'in network dipshits.

Keep on sucking ABC!

Flag
Agent Carter. Haley Atwell is pretty good (also really good on the eyes ;-) ). I hope it's handled better then AoS in it's early days.
Flag
Oh and a little off topic... NBC has ordered Constantine to series. :):):)
Flag
It is actually not a bad roster, especially in comparison on what we're hearing from other networks.
Flag
Considering my two favorite shows right now are Agents of SHIELD and Mad Man, I am seriously looking forward to Agent Carter.
Selfie seems promising because I love John Cho but I wonder if they should change the title.
Flag
Yay for the Agent Carter series!!!!!! Peggy is a badass lady!!!
Flag
Really? A show about agent whatsherface? with all the characters n the entire Marvelverse they choose the most insignificant one?
Flag
Choosing a very minor character can be not such a bad thing, because it can mean that they have more freedom to flesh her out without too much burden from comics/movies,, etc.
Flag
Realistically, the show is going to be about the beginnings of shield with Agent Carter being a familiar face to kick things off in much the same way that Coulsen does it in AoS and the show will succeed based on how good the rest of the cast turn out to be.

Given what they have said about Tony's dad being involved with Shield from the beginning you have to hope that they manage to get the guy who played Howard in the first Cap movie back for this series too.
Flag
Agent Carter and Galavant will probably get a chance. :)
Flag
The Agent Carter one shot, was a very good short. So i'm definitely in for a series. From what i read a while ago, it will run when Agents of SHIELD, goes on it's mid-season break-bonus!

I'll give The Whispers a try. It sounds intriguing, and i'm a sucker for alien conspiracy stories. As for American Crime, i'll have to wait for the promos.
Flag
I wish just for once they twist it around, humans invading an alien planet would be awsome.
Flag
lol I like that!
Flag
I'm very happy ABC picked up Agent Carter. The Whispers sounds interesting.
Flag
I'm sad that they didn't pick up Salvation. Jack Coleman was a special guest star in the pilot dammit!
Flag
Based on description alone, Whispers and Manhattan Love Story are the only two I have zero interest in. The ones that I am most curious about are Galavant, Forever, Black-ish (Fishburne FTW) and Agent Carter. I'm just not super excited about lawyer shows at the moment, but American Crime and How to Get Away with Murder aren't DOA. Of course, this could all change after I see clips and the final schedule is set.
Flag
About Agent Carter... doesn't the One-Shot already told us what's going to happen there? Wouldn't it be smarter to start the series with her building/working at S.H.I.E.L.D. with the Howling Commandos?

Really conflicted about this show - REALLY into anything involving Hayley Atwell (hey, I'm a red-blooded man!), but don't see the need for such a series.

Still gonna watch, though.
Flag
Galavant, whether it's awesome or awful, is definitely on my must-see list. I just.....I NEED to see how this thing plays out!!
Flag
All the drama's seem interesting.
None of the comedies do.
Flag
Whispers, Forever and Selfie.
Flag
Hopefully Agent Carter will be better than Agents of SHIELD (which I stopped watching after 10 episodes). I really like Hayley Atwell so let's hope it will be good.
Flag
Forever sounds decent, will have a look at Agent Carter.
The Whispers sounds god-awful, but I just cant resist Jess- I mean, Milo Ventimiglia...
Flag
...Hayley Atwell as the titular agent...
That's pretty sexist of you. Or is that me?!
Musicals make me want to give up on life, so I may keep it around in case I feel snackish in the night.
Forever could be good with the excellent Ioan Grufffud, as long as it's not just another oh I'm immortal and want to die, poor me.
Flag
Agent Carter and Forever
Flag
Agent Carter sounds like it could be a modern variation on Wonder Woman, I will pass on Ms Rhimes' new series despite Viola Davis. I hope Blackish works out.
Flag
I'm sorry, WHAT? Agent Carter? Nice choice! The lesser the character the better. How about Marvel's Trash Can? Or Marvel's Office Table? Wait, wait, even better: Marvel's Pencil of The Guy on The Office Table!
Flag
You're right. If they keep on this way, I wonder what' up next? A show about Pepper Potts gynaecologist?
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members