Game of Thrones

A Golden Crown

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 22, 2011 on HBO

• Not the full potential, but still really great

The previous episode was awesome and so my expectations in this "A Golden Crown" were pretty high. As it turns out, it totally manages to hold up the pace of its predecessor and contains a couple of important things happening. I was extremely looking forward to see how things will be after Ned's and Jaime's fight and it already began in a superb way when Ned awoke with a furious Cersei and a King Robert who has finally calmed down after his uproar in "The Wolf and the Lion" standing in his room. The episode didn't get any worse after that, but I'd say it was already one of the best moments.

The continuation of the storyline of Catelyn and Tyrion proved to be hilarious with once again, a marvelous monologue by Peter Dinklage and great performances by all other actors involved. The sword fighting in this episode was too really well-made and the fight scene in which we first meet Bronn was incredibly cool.

Ned's discovery in this episode was great as well and really blew my mind because I'm completely unaware of the plot of this series. Sean Bean continually improves in his role and is amazing when he gets to be the regent while reminding the audience that he is clearly the most likeable character on this show. It was also really nice to see Isaac Hempstead Wright doing something again and I think it's really interesting how Theon Greyjoy gets more and more important.

Clearly the best part about "A Golden Crown" is the story part of Viserys, Daenerys, and the Dothrakis who return to the screen after their short absence in the previous episode. There are some major things happening with those characters and we really get to see how the characters progress - all of this is staged perfectly and has a really dark and captivating look to it since all of their scenes are set indoors. The final scene of this episode may just be the best Game of Thrones moment yet and I was so freaked out because of how fantastic this was.

I'm completely intrigued in the plot (except for the one at the Night's Watch. Seriously, I didn't miss Jon Snow and all his colleagues at all in this and the last episode - I almost forgot that those characters existed when I was watching these two awesome episodes) and technically, it's extremely well-made. But I can't help myself but to think that Game of Thrones still has a tad more potential to it than it shows us at the moment with supernatural stuff and really big fight scenes still stashed away from the audiences. I'm hoping that the season finale will provide me with the scenes I expect and for now I just stay with loving all the amazing characters and visuals.