A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO
I was going to do 10, but in the Light of The Seven, I chose to do the 7 reasons why Game of Thrones is not for children that have nothing to do with nudity or blood or any other element you could find in the average CW show - and that mature audiences can hadle in a way younger audiences aren't ready to do just yet.

7. No Reward System
If there's anything that separates younger audiences from adult ones is the craving for a reward; children can stand Sansa Stark as long as she's made Prom Queen, they can endure Ned Stark's imprisonment as long as he's victorious, and they might tolerate his defeat as long as Robb avenges him. Take that away and it would only frustrate them more than the finale of How I Met Your Mother ever did.

It's the kind of things that only mature audiences - or, at least, viewers old enough to have learned to tolerate frustration - would understand. Life happens, sometimes there's no storybook ending, and the worst part is: it doesn't stop then, you may have to learn to keep on living, just like the Starks did.

6. Marriage isn't supposed to make the characters happy
I was going to say "Love" but, lets face it, marriage is never out of love in Westeros (and the one time it was, ironically it ended on a wedding). Marriage is a force meant to stabilize a Realm even if it makes Cersei & Robert miserable, the foundation in which several lives stand on even if Catelyn and Ned didn't even know each other when it was imposed on them, the touchstone by which Stannis, Margaery, Tyrion, Daenerys and Tywin meassure themselves.

Marriage isn't supposed to make them happy, but the support the characters find in it will do: it's the certainty someone is backing them up even if they are despised by said someone, the aid they will find in times of war, sickness and famine just because a Septon said the words, the shelter in which children, servant and maesters make a life for themselves because a Lord and a Lady can't walk away from it.

5. True love doesn't last forever
Try to explain to younger audiences something like Jon and Ygritte makes you wish to make it all about the nudity: they just can't wrap their minds around the fact that two people who love each other can't beat the obstacles and be together.

To be fair, Jon and Ygritte didn't wrap their mind around it themselves until life did the math for them. True love is a rare gift and some of them are lucky to find it, but that doesn't ensure they would get to keep it no matter how profound (Daenerys & Drogo), intense (Jaime & Cersei) or passionate (Robb & Talisa) their feelings may be.

4. Puppies get killed
There's no bigger punch for younger audiences than to watch a character their age be thrown out of a window (Bran), watch their pet dog get killed (Sansa), be drowned to dead or stabbed by their father's men (Gendry's siblings) or get hunted down on their way back home (Arya, Lommy, Hot Pie, etc.).

Younger audiences aren't ready to watch one of their own get killed, especially not when back-stabbed by the people they trusted the most, something adult audiences have learned also happens in real life. Sometimes to their own young, by the very people they have trusted with them (teachers, neighbors, relatives, etc.)

3. Adults lie (deal with it)
Its a pretty basic fact for mature audiences, but one thing is to play "trust no one" as younger audiences do with one cast or another and other, entirely different, to actually grasp the reality that adult characters lie, not only to others but also - and particularly - to themselves the way Littlefinger, Cersei, Thoros of Myr, Margaery and Bolton have done.

There's nothing more disarming for mature audiences than to realize a character wasn't who they thought it was, and yet Jaime Lannister is nothing compared to what younger audiences may feel when enlighten by characters such as Ramsay or Melisandre.

2. Women are strong
Its easy to ask younger audiences to accept the strength from warrior ladies of Marvel's Agents of SHIELD or Arrow, but it puzzles them to find the same strength within Lady Margaery (one of the most dangerously strong and feminine characters on TV) or Olenna, they can grasp the power within Melisandre but they don't get it doesn't come from her sexuality, they may brand Brienne as a lesbian but they can't see the strength that comes from her femeninity quite like Jaime and Renly did.

It's a rare thing, to introduce younger audiences to characters that aren't Yara or Ygritte and ask them to see their strength, to find the source of Daenerys's in frustrated motherhood rather than her dragons or to understand the most dangerous women in this show are those that aren't carrying a weapon.

1. Bad guys do win. Deal with it.
I
t's one thing to ask mature audiences to accept Tywin Lannister can win just like your evil boss does, that you are in capable hands even if those hands belong to Mance Rayder, the King Beyond the Wall, or that Walder Frey and Lord Bolton can get away with things like The Red Wedding. However, you can't ask the same thing from younger audiences.

What's even worse, you can't expect younger audiences to understand there's good and evil in every man, that you can see the good and evil in Theon Greyjoy just like you can see it in Arya Stark; the good and evil side in sworn shields like Jorah Mormont just like you can see it in The Hound; that is alright to admire the evil side in Stannis just like you can admire the good in him or to respect the evil in Daenerys just as you do with the good in her.

So, there you have it, My Top 7 Reasons why Game of Thrones is not for children that have nothing to do with gore, dark twists or nudity. I want your honest opinion, so hit the poll, add a comment or tell me what are your top reasons Game of Thrones is not suited for younger audiences or why you believe children can deal when puppies get killed or true doesn't last forever.

poll
84 Comments
Follow this Show
Members