A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO

BEST FATHERS:

3) Oberyn Martell: Bisexual father of 8, takes time from his busy agenda seeking revenge to write poetry to his daughters, watch over them as they play with Princess Myrcella and stand up to anyone that call them bastards. Remember: the Mountain has not just doomed Tyrion, it orphaned 8 girls that were waiting for Oberyn to return home.

2) Stannis Baratheon: Grim leader of few, he doesn't have much going for him except his fatherly devotion to his infidel daughter; you know this is a real father when he defends Shireen from her mother's punishments, his lover's "cleansing" bonfire and anything that may harm her this and every season.

1) Lord Bolton: No father in Game of Thrones has ever acknowledged a bastard. Keep them around? Yes (Ned Stark, Lord Frey, Jaime Lannister, etc.). Acknowledge their existance? Maybe (King Robert, Craster, the next Lord down the corner), but give them their name, after everything that's happened between them, every disappointment, insult, flaying, torture and backstabbing? No one until Ramsay's father turned him from a Snow to a Bolton.

WORST FATHERS:

3) Jaime Lannister: It's not that he doesn't care about his sons, but that he cares more about their mother. To be fair, he promised Tommen he would make sure he'd be safe, and he did run towards Joffrey as his first born laid dying. But he wouldn't even show up at their funeral if it didn't involve alone time with Cersei.

2) Tywin Lannister: The no-brainer option of the show has raised a couple of incest twins, a glorified bodyguard (in his own words) and a son he treats like a bastard. In fact the only time Tywin shined as a Dad was the few weeks he spent raising Ned Stark's daughter, while he didn't know "the girl" was actually named Arya Stark.

1) Balon Greyjoy: When a father let his daughter to go for what's left of Reek, rather than fight for a son he supposedly loved more than the Starks, then you know you have a winner.

HONORARY FATHERS:

3) Ser Allister Thorne:
The acting Lord Commander of The Night's Watch would stand for each one of the men who hate him, like only the father of 102 84 adolescents would.

2) Sam Tarly: He may not have fathered baby Sam, but has been a father to the wildling baby ever since the first White Walker came to recruit him for their army.

1) The Hound: Now, he may not be the surrogate father Ned wanted for Arya to grow up with, but he is the surrogate father that Arya needs.

* As always, for succcession reasons, only confirmed fathers could be featured on the poll.
poll

So, which is your favorite father? Which is your least favorite father this seaon? Which honorary father should adopt all the orphans in Westeros and which one should have never fathered at all? Give them a heartfelt Happy Father's Day or laugh at their children's luck in the comments below.

Comments (30)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
did craster just say 99 sons I did realise he being listening to hip hop LOL
Flag
All I was thinking was: "99 Baby Walkers, Craster brought 99 White Walkers into this world"

...and the Night's Watch sheltered him.
Flag
that song by that rapper 99 problems LOL
Flag
All I'm thinking is that someone has been fathering White Walkers all along, and the poor toodlers keep making doodles like these

without anyone doing something about it.

Flag
When GoT gives us such an episode for Father's Day, I wonder what we will get next year for Mother's Day?

:-)
Flag
Thats a subtle spoiler that Lena Headey instagrammed, hopefully for next season
Flag
Cersei still lost to Lady Olenna in the Favorite Mother poll, this mother's day.
Flag
Bolton?! I dunno there has to be a reason Ramsay so messed up... Him giving his name was not out of love... He's just playing the game..... And making him a Bolton is just a move.... And Ned DID want to give Jon his name but couldn't but best def Oberyn worst greyjoy
Flag
I'll give one thing to Ned: I seriously doubt Bran, Jon or Robb would've shot him with a bow, or that Arya & Sansa would defy him like Cersei, or that Rickon would deny him any dignity.

On the show, however, Ned never wanted to give Jon his name, but neither did Robert nor Oberyn despite how much he loved his 8 little girls, so there's no denying Bolton has gave Ramsay something no Lord has given to any bastard.
Flag
I am surprised you or any book reader fans did not mentioned this. The worst father is that guy who make all his daughters his wife and gave his sons to the white walkers. If you put a poll, he will win hands down. I cannot even remember his name but I will always remember his deeds.
Flag
Craster died last season, if he would've lived long enough to see season 4 maybe.

Now, on the show, there're plenty of candidates to pick this year, so which one is yours?
Flag
Sorry. My Bad. I did realized now you mentioned in season four. Well, its hard for me to decide who is the worst for season four though my vote for best would be Lord Bolton.

I do have a worst mother though - Lysa Arryn and I guess I better nominate her now as she will NOT be in season five.
Flag
Favorite Mothers in Game of Thrones this season had their own poll for Mother's Day last month.

You can still vote for Lysa Arryn there.
Flag
Best (living) Dad is the Hound, hands down. Honorable mention to Ser Barristan. Ned Stark served more as the Archetypal Good Dad than as a real nuanced protagonist. Oh, i was SO fond of Arya/Tywin...
Bolton didn't legit his son out of fatherly love/duty, but for the sole selfish reason of perpetuating his family line.
Flag
Ser Barristan is more of a badass Grandpa...
Flag
sure.
Flag
To be honest, I don't think most fathers on this show act out of fatherly love, whether they have fathered bastards or not.

Bolton is unique in the sense he legitimized the son he didn't like: he not only recognized Ramsay's existance, he gave him his name. On the show, there's no bigger gesture from a father than that.
Flag
I hope Walder Frey shows up in the finale so I can vote for him. "Go ahead, slit my daughter's throat - I have others".
Flag
I guess this is what I like the most about The Hound: he acts as if Arya is the only daughter he'll ever have.

Not only this season with the survival lessons, but last season at The Red Wedding as well. Arya may not have his name, but she has his blood, his nature and any wisdom The Hound may have to share.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Ned will be best father till Doran Martell comes into show.
Flag
I think this season the real fight for Best Father is between Oberyn Martell and Roose Bolton, ironically both fathers of bastards.

Oberyn is clearly winning so far (despite the fact Bolton recognized Ramsay).
Flag
Tough job when all three fathers you picked as best are awful parents in some ways. Slim pickings at the moment.
Flag
Best: Ned Stark
Worst; Craster
Flag
That's cheating! I agree, but it's season 4 characters only.
Flag
My bad, i didn't read the whole title.
Flag
He's been dead for 3 seasons, and Ned is still the best father of the show.

Heppy Father's Day Ned Stark! Wherever you are
Flag
I'm going to vote for Tywin as Least Worst Father.

I don't know enough about Oberyn and Stannis keeps his daughter locked up in a cold, stone cell! Roose does deserve some credit for legitimising Ramsey, but he hasn't seemed to have spent very long teaching him manners. I mean, castration is just rude!

Other than their relationship (for which Tywin can't really be blamed) I'd say that both Cersei and Jamie have been brought up well and treated decently. He didn't want Jamie to join the Kingsguard, but to be the heir to Casterly Rock and the Lannister name. Doesn't seem a dreadful wish.
I accept he hasn't been overly affectionate towards Tyrion, but he's been allowed to basically do what he wanted as long as it doesn't spoil the family name.
Cersei was married to Robert, but that's what happens to noble women in this universe, it seems unfair to blame Tywin. It's not like her new husband was a dung shoveller at an inn, he was the King.

I'd vote Ser Davos as best Honorary Father, to Shireen, with the Hound second.
Flag
Tywin screwed up all his kids. He gets a little leeway for being a widower but not much. He's probably the most heartless person on the show.
Flag
I often see Shireen as the love child Davos & Stannis never had: Ser Onion Knight did make a ship toy for her, and both men described their quarrel as only mom and dad would explain their differences last season.

Flag
Follow this Show
Members