A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO
Best swords have a name: Oathkeeper, the sword Brienne was given by Jaime, Needle the sword Jon Snow gave to Arya, or Widow's Wail the last half of Ned Stark's sword given to Joffrey. All the best swords have a name, so which name is the best?

poll

Comments (76)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
May 24, 2014
It's been a month so I'm calling it: Congratulations to Oathkeeper for Best Sword Ever Named!
Flag
May 05, 2014
My two favorite names are not on the list:
Ice & Dark Sister.
BTW: we already know what people people name their swords... ^^
Flag
May 01, 2014
By the way, I made a Favorite Sword of All Times poll. For some reason, I can't post the link, but it should be at the Discussions section in case you want to vote for Ice, Lonclaw or the rest of the gang.
Flag
May 01, 2014
Where's Ice and Longclaw? Ice is impressive but being a two-handed juggernaut of a sword it's too much, so I prefer the hand-and-a-half sword Longclaw, especially with the direwolf pommel added.
Flag
May 01, 2014
They have not been named this season: Longclaw was shown only in the latest episode, but neither Sam nor Jon say its name, and Ice was only featured at the beginning of episode 2 right before it was melted away.
Flag
May 01, 2014
Seriously? Now I'm gonna have to rewatch previous seasons, I swear they've been mentioned at least once. Damn me getting the books and the show criss-crossed.
Flag
May 01, 2014
In any case, I made a Favorite Sword of All Times poll too. It should be at the top of the Discussions section in case you want to see which name wins.
Flag
May 01, 2014
Ice!
Flag
May 01, 2014
Even more so now since they showed Ice literally being "melted" and reforged!!
Flag
May 01, 2014
Technically, it isn't Ice anymore but Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper so which half has your vote?

Flag
May 01, 2014
Ice still trumps Widow's Wail (ugh Joffrey) and Oathbreaker. Though, I might change my mind if both these swords play important parts in the future :)
Flag
May 01, 2014
For one, they were tainted with Ned Stark's blood and the "Two Swords" episode suggests they were created by blood magic too (if that dead animal was any hint).

In this show, blood magic is important and so should be anything created by it IMO.
Flag
May 01, 2014
Is it not an all season poll? Because it says: best swordname ever
Flag
May 01, 2014
Ever named as in actually named, they have been only three swords named this season, Ice is not one of them.
Flag
May 01, 2014
yeah we should keep the name in honor. They can't scrap the starks by reforging the sword. Ice must be one of the options!
Flag
May 01, 2014
There's nothing on the show that says two swords can't be reforged into the original too.

The process seemed fairly simply despite what Tywin said in the season premiere.
Flag
May 01, 2014
I think that is part of the symbolism of reforging the sword. And that is another reason why I think Widow's Wail & Oathbreaker will somehow play a part in bringing back the Starks. How poetic will that be!
Flag
May 01, 2014
Then it should be an all seasons sword poll
Flag
May 01, 2014
Ice. Nuff said.
Flag
May 01, 2014
I think what makes it hard for me to choose is that both Needle and Oathkeeper represent an enduring connection between two people. Same goes to Longclaw.

Widow's Wail just represents half of Ice to me.
Flag
May 01, 2014
Arya: “Lots of people name their swords.”
Hound: “Lots of cunts."
Flag
May 01, 2014
The Hound is most certainly not Gendry, that's for sure.

Poor thing was afraid to say "cock" in front of Arya. I can't even imagine what Gendry would make of The Hound saying that to m'lady.
Flag
May 01, 2014
It is really difficult for me to choose between Oathkeeperand Needle. I like Oathkeeperand for all the reasons named in other comments, but if I re-
member correctly, Jon gave the sword that became Needle to Arya, because she hated doing the sewing (needlework) that Sansa so excelled at. The sword was a different kind of "needle" that Arya loved.
Flag
Apr 30, 2014
I've always been fond of the simple but effective names given by the Starks. Needle comes to mind, but also Ice. Ice may be my favorite.
Flag
Apr 30, 2014
I can't get over the fact they split it in two!
Flag
Apr 30, 2014
My favorite is Needle. My second favorite was Hearteater. I know it's Joff's sword and it's silly because he never actually killed anyone with it, but it's such a strong name that evokes quite a bit of imagery.
Flag
Apr 30, 2014
Hound should call his sword Colonel Sanders
Flag
May 01, 2014
I wonder how The Hound would call his sword, one just knows he must have given it a name that he's not sharing.
Flag
May 01, 2014
yeah he not into sharing as shown in that scene in the inn don't mess with the sanders LOL
Flag
Apr 30, 2014
Needle gets me cos it's Arya and it's so...appropriate but Oathkeeper had me almost in tears (Brienne's face)
Longclaw is also a pretty cool name.
Flag
Apr 30, 2014
And fit for bears and direwolves alike

...I miss Lord Commander Mormont, he always knew what to say.
Flag
Apr 30, 2014
Are we only talking Valyrian steel here because Dawn, Ser Arthur Dayne the Sword of the Morning's sword was pretty sick! Also there's some theories out there that Dawn is the actual 'Lightbringer' and not that bogus junk that Melisandre enchanted for Stannis.

Personally I like Ice, Dark Sister, Heartsbane, Brightroar
Flag
Apr 30, 2014
On the show, on the other hand, there're several lists

Joffrey's swords:
  • Lion...something, season 1, thrown to a river by Arya in episode 2.
  • Heartheater, season 2, kissed by Sansa before the battle of Blackwater in episode 9.
  • Widow's Wail, season 4, named at Joffrey's wedding 2 episodes ago.

Lord Commander Mormont's and Jon Snow's sword:
  • Longclaw, season 1, given to Jon after he saved the Lord Commander from a blue eyed corpse in episode 8. It was supposed to be passed on to Ser Jorah Mormont before the series began.
Stannis's sword (Beric Dondarion's sword?)
  • Lightbringer, season 3, a flaming sword that's supposed to be given by R'hllor. For some reason not explained on the show, Thoros of Myr wasn't supposed to have the power to give one. And yet Beric Dondarion lives on.
Ned Stark's sword:
  • Ice, season 1, reforged in Widow's Wail (Joffrey's third sword) and Oathkeeper (Brienne's & Jaime's sword) by Tywin Lannister in episode 2 of season 4.

Arya Stark's sword:
  • Needle, season 1- 4, used to kill Lommy no last name in season 2, taken by Polliver between seasons 2 and 3, regained by Arya thanks to The Hound, used to avenge Lommy in episode 2 of season 4.

More+
Flag
Apr 30, 2014
Lion's Paw
Flag
Apr 30, 2014
For those who are interested, here's a (spoiler-free) list of the other named Valyrian steel swords from the TV show and novels; it's a short list, Valyrian steel swords are rare and legendary:

Currently In Someone's Possession:

• Longclaw (House Mormont, held by Jon Snow)
  • Heartsbane (House Tarly, held by Sam's dad, Lord Randyll Tarly)
  • Lady Forlorn (House Corbray)
  • Red Rain (House Drumm, possibly stolen from House Reyne)
  • Nightfall (House Harlaw, of the Iron Islands)
Destroyed:
  • Ice (House Stark)
Lost, Fates Unknown:
  • Blackfyre (House Targaryen)
  • Dark Sister (House Targaryen)
  • Brightroar (House Lannister)
  • Vigilance (House Hightower)
  • Orphan-Maker (House Roxton)
Flag
Apr 30, 2014
I just like Oathkeeper because it was one half Ned Stark's sword, Ice.

It being Brienne and Jaime's baby its only a plus.
Flag
Apr 30, 2014
What happened to Widow's wail?
Flag
Apr 30, 2014
I'm still trying to figure that out myself, I seriously doubt the Lannisters would just throw it away.
Flag
Apr 30, 2014
Technically, Brienne just borrowed Jaime's half so he hardly throw it away.

What happens to the groom's gifts when he dies? Is the widow allowed to keep them? In that case, Widow's Wail should be Margaery's...which would be all sorts of ironic.
Flag
Apr 30, 2014
To be honest, the very first thing that came to my mind was

Jon/Jaime: They say the best swords have a name.
Followed by Arya and Brienne namind their sword Needle and Oathkeeper respectively.

Its such a tender moment for each twosome, you picture such a tender beginnings for what's basically a weapon.
Flag
Apr 29, 2014
ARYA: Lots of people name their swords.
HOUND: Lots of cunts.
Literally the only thing that comes to my mind when reading this discussion. LoL
Flag
Apr 29, 2014
Oh dear between the three I love Needle because it fits so well and I love it as a symbol of Arya's connection to her family. But I also really loved Oathkeeper, not so much the name, but the meaning behind it and the relationship between Brienne and Jaimie.
Flag
Apr 30, 2014
True, I for one never expected a weapon to have such a tender beginnings, or that something that's meant to kill could also represent a connection:
  • Brienne & Jaime's, but also Brienne & Ned's though his weapon echo of Brienne's connection to Lady Catelyn.
  • Arya & Jon's connection, but also Arya's newfound connection to The Hound as he helps her to get Neddle back in order to avenge Lommy.
  • Arya and Brienne's connection as they are the only female characters on this show armed with a sword by a male character that cares deeply about them.
Flag
Apr 29, 2014
mr cuddlys
Flag
Staff
Apr 29, 2014
Ser Pounce's blade, Whisker! But of the three, I like Needle. Looks like I'm in the minority of hating Oathkeeper? It sounds like Christian Rock band.
Flag
Apr 29, 2014
It does kind of sound like a christian rock band. Or some type of abstinence pledge.
Flag
Apr 30, 2014
If anything, Lightbringer is the sword that always struck me with obscure christian meanings: the whole Lucifer = Lightbringer and R'hllor being the Lord of Light (his warrior the son of fire)...

...I mean, there's a reason why I can't trust R'hllor to begin with.
Flag
Apr 30, 2014
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Apr 29, 2014
From books Lightbringer (due to its connection with Azor Ahai and the crucial role which its gonna play again in this war against White walkers) and then also love Dawn, it also have a cool history. From show Longclaw followed by Needle.
Flag
Apr 29, 2014
I know it's the wrong IP but...

Foe Hammer is one of my favorite sword names for some reason. And I'm not even a Tolkien nut.
Flag
Apr 30, 2014
I just assumed every sword was named Excalibur until Game of Thrones.
Flag
Apr 29, 2014
I chose "Needle" because it just fits.
Tiny, sharp, pointy sword, for a then tiny girl, with a sharp tongue that uses words and actions to the point.
Also it doesn't sound very dangerous, as little girls as well, but they are both quite deadly, if necessary.
(Another aspect is that I once knew a great cat named "Needles", so my opinion might be a little bit biased. ;-))
Flag
Apr 29, 2014
Lightbringer.
Flag
Apr 30, 2014
Speaking of which, what happened to Hearteater and Lightbringer after Blackwatwer?

Its like they showed up for that one episode and then were recasted.
Flag
Apr 30, 2014
Who knows what disgusting uses Joffrey found for his sword? :) I expect Hearteater was used for dissecting someone's pet!

But, hopefully, Lightbringer might make an appearance this season.
Flag
Apr 30, 2014
Speaking of which...what happened to Hearteater & Lightbringer after Blackwater?

Its like they showed up for that one episode and were recasted.
Flag
Apr 29, 2014
I chose Oathkeeper but my all time favorite is 'Dark Sister'. It's kind of a creepy name and sounds badass at the same time! It was mentioned in a small throwaway line during one of the conversations Arya had with Tywin back in Season 2. It was owned by Visenya Targaryen and it found its way to Brynden 'Bloodraven' Rivers who presumably lost it after being exiled to the Wall.
Flag
Apr 29, 2014
Ice
Flag
Apr 29, 2014
Once again, in the absence of Ice I must rule in favor of its better half: Oathkeeper.
Flag
Apr 29, 2014
Longclaw.

Though I would actually prefer Bronn's likely take on sword names. Which would most likely be, this sword or that sword.
Flag
Apr 29, 2014
I can't wait for Bronn to name his sword that way!
Flag
Apr 29, 2014
Longclaw Jon Snow's sword he got from Ser Jorah Mormont is a favorite of mine.
Also like Dawn (sword of the morning star) of house Dayne, but that might be it has a great story behind it. Also not sure it's mentioned in the tv show.
Flag
Apr 29, 2014
I don't think so, but I tried to stick to swords that were named this season.
Flag
Apr 29, 2014
Has there been a lot of swords named Oathkeeper? I know I seen it a couple of times in video games.
Flag
Apr 29, 2014
Longclaw! I forgot Mormont's sword, the one the Lord Commander gave to Jon Snow 3 seasons ago.
Flag
Apr 29, 2014
From the few names we were presented so far, I'll go with ICE.
Nightfall and Lady Forlorn won't probably make an appearance or be mentioned at all, but I like those too.
Flag
Apr 29, 2014
Since Ice basically became Oathkeeper, and I'd like to pretend the other half of Ned's sword doesn't exist since given to Joffrey, I'm ruling this vote in favor of Brienne's sword.
Flag
Apr 29, 2014
What happens to WW/Joffreys sword now? Is it given to Tommen? Will it be sold at a flea market in flea bottom? Will it be reforged to an even smaller sword and named Icicle?
Flag
Apr 29, 2014
I vote for Popsicle, a sword to be given to Tommen's cat or Margaery's children.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members